Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 PM

20 posts, read 43,864 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I am a 29 year old AC volunteer who has decided that after the end of her contract she is going to live the island of Puerto Rico in search for better opportunities to grow professionally and in her personal life as well. . Currently the alleged unemployment rate is around 13.8% in PR but as someone who has been searching for a job for the last 3 years with no luck I suspect is a rate higher than what is reported. I did a masters in Planning( with the specialization in the fields of Urban and Community Planning) most of experience has been in non-profit organizations. In this past 1.5 half I had applied to several positions in the US with no luck in which I have openly expressed that I am willing to make arrangement for travel.The move from PR to the continental US would be at the beginning of next year. I was wondering how is the job market in the following cities:San Francisco(CA), Arlington(VA),Seattle(WA),Columbus(Ohio),Boulder(C O) or St. Paul(MN)? Lifestyle? Am aware that San Francisco cost of living is expensive.

I am a very low-key person who is known for stretching out her budget pretty good. One think I need to make clear: I have never been to these cities before, with the exception of Arlington which was a brief visit. My impression about the state of Virginia is that is a very good place to raise kids but I don't have any kids. I have lived in the US before( Urbana, IL) so I am no stranger with winter!

As for the reason why I posted this in the San Francisco Board is because around this time last year I was about to purchase a no return ticket to this city. Plus I have caught myself reading a lot about SF more than the other cities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:10 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
Um, all of those cities are extremely different from each other. Pretty random group of places actually. Perhaps you should actually visit all of them and see which one suits you best in terms of your career, budget, and personal preferences?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Um, all of those cities are extremely different from each other. Pretty random group of places actually. Perhaps you should actually visit all of them and see which one suits you best in terms of your career, budget, and personal preferences?

Thanks for replying! My current budget is very limited. Honestly if I could I would visit all of them before deciding first I would had done so but I can not do that because I am limited. As for career I want to further my career and get paid experience for starters. In regards to the pretty random places comment, I checked all of these cities based on how many job applications I have sent. In the case of San Francisco most of them have been to non-profit organization whom I have gotten a few call backs but I am not consider further because I am not living at the moment in San Francisco. The others I've been getting the you are good but we have hired someone else which hints me as in maybe you are not considered because you are not here. At least in San Francisco I have a few acquaintances and old friends, even though they can not offered me a place to crash while I visit because of the limited room space in comparison to the other places.

For personal preference, I prefer a city with a at least a decent transportation system. I do not like the notion of having to depend on a car for most of chores which could be done by walking or by bike. Also I see myself in a city that motivates the resident to interact in open spaces rather than a mall or any enclosed building. In addition I am looking for a place in which for social activities you get diversity not only for the budget but for offerings. As for the weather, I do not mind. I always carry an umbrella, a light weight jacket, deodorant and a extra shirt in the bag to change according to the weather. What else for personal preference?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
SF and Arlington VA (DC Area) are the only two on that list that have halfway decent public transportation. I'd rank the DC Metro way above SF's BART/MUNI in terms of affordability and service- it's the second biggest system in the country, although nowhere near as extensive as NYC.

With that said, I grew up in the DC Area and you couldn't pay me to move back East. My family still lives there but I hate it. It reminds me a lot of Los Angeles, in terms of materialism, traffic, pretentiousness, and obsession with its industry (LA being entertainment, DC being gov't/politics). At least you have nice weather and beaches in LA though.

SF proper is INCREDIBLY expensive. I'd suggest the East Bay for a more affordable lifestyle. Maybe you should fly out and visit your family first to see if you even like the Bay Area.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesofOnix View Post
Hello everyone!
I am a 29 year old AC volunteer who has decided that after the end of her contract she is going to live the island of Puerto Rico in search for better opportunities to grow professionally and in her personal life as well. . Currently the alleged unemployment rate is around 13.8% in PR but as someone who has been searching for a job for the last 3 years with no luck I suspect is a rate higher than what is reported. I did a masters in Planning( with the specialization in the fields of Urban and Community Planning) most of experience has been in non-profit organizations. In this past 1.5 half I had applied to several positions in the US with no luck in which I have openly expressed that I am willing to make arrangement for travel.The move from PR to the continental US would be at the beginning of next year. I was wondering how is the job market in the following cities:San Francisco(CA), Arlington(VA),Seattle(WA),Columbus(Ohio),Boulder(C O) or St. Paul(MN)? Lifestyle? Am aware that San Francisco cost of living is expensive.

I am a very low-key person who is known for stretching out her budget pretty good. One think I need to make clear: I have never been to these cities before, with the exception of Arlington which was a brief visit. My impression about the state of Virginia is that is a very good place to raise kids but I don't have any kids. I have lived in the US before( Urbana, IL) so I am no stranger with winter!

As for the reason why I posted this in the San Francisco Board is because around this time last year I was about to purchase a no return ticket to this city. Plus I have caught myself reading a lot about SF more than the other cities!
I think if you're really looking for a job in urban planning, you probably have to move wherever you can get a job. I don't think there are that many positions available for that, anywhere. Maybe you should move to the U.S. mainland to look more serious to prospective employers, but pick a city away from the NE or West costs where the cost of living will be lower.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
In terms of non-profits? The Bay Area has tons, but non-profit salary doesn't go very far. You might want to join YNPN.

YNPN | Young Nonprofit Professionals Network

Urban Planning is not easy to break into, it is one of those things where networking will help a lot. Are you involved in the professional organizations, linkedin groups, etc? You definitely want to do that. It is easier to get a job when you have an in.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 AM

296 posts, read 625,512 times
OP, try this job source as well: Jobs at Nonprofits, Jobs at Foundations | PND | Foundation Center

Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
What kind of planning experience do you have? And what area of planning are you looking to get into or continue with? If you don't have any experience you HAVE to get an internship for the most part.

From what I've been told, the competition for land use planning is tougher compared to transportation planning.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In terms of non-profits? The Bay Area has tons, but non-profit salary doesn't go very far. You might want to join YNPN.

YNPN | Young Nonprofit Professionals Network

Urban Planning is not easy to break into, it is one of those things where networking will help a lot. Are you involved in the professional organizations, linkedin groups, etc? You definitely want to do that. It is easier to get a job when you have an in.
I belong to several groups in Linkedin related to planning. That is where I got the tid bit in getting first to AmeriCorps or Peace Corps in case I do not find anything related to the many fields of planning. I recall that advise coming from someone whose profile was pretty good on linked in terms of a Professional Planner. In addition I belong to the American Planning Association.

Can I join that network even if Puerto Rico does not have a chapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What kind of planning experience do you have? And what area of planning are you looking to get into or continue with? If you don't have any experience you HAVE to get an internship for the most part.

From what I've been told, the competition for land use planning is tougher compared to transportation planning.
To be honest my strongest area of expertise in the field of planning is in Community Planning, my preparation in the area of urban planning is not that great.I have some experience in the field of land use planning but not much. So I am not concentrating my efforts too much in Land Use and Urban Planning. As of now all my efforts are concentrated in community planning which is more diverse than Land Use and Urban Design planning.

My planning experience most of them has been through internships and now with this year through AmeriCorps which if I sum it up is all in the field of community planning. That is why I mention non-profits because I have worked also with several organizations as a volunteer including my current experience. As for salary, as long I live decently I am good. I think when you are starting or at a entry level you can not ask that much for a salary, right? I will be happy with at least a decent healthcare coverage, is it possible to find one these days anywhere?

Oh, thanks for sharing the links people!

Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM

390 posts, read 940,686 times
I had done a search for Urban Planning jobs and there were several in Atlanta, Anchorage and Bismarck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland