Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,284 times

Advertisements

hey all! I took that special someone to the Japanese Tea Gardens and it was such a nice, picturesque place that I wanted to find out is there anywhere else in the SF Bay Area as romantic and with beautiful scenery? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 11:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek2013 View Post
hey all! I took that special someone to the Japanese Tea Gardens and it was such a nice, picturesque place that I wanted to find out is there anywhere else in the SF Bay Area as romantic and with beautiful scenery? Thanks in advance
I define just about anywhere with redwoods as romantic and scenic. That could be Muir Woods, or the redwood park in the Oakland hills.

Possibly the rose garden in Berkeley, on Euclid. Strawberry Canyon (Berkeley) and the botanical gardens there. Tilden Park, possibly (Berkeley). Lake Temescal (Oakland hills).

But nothing will be quite like the Japanese Tea Gardens.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:46 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Battery Spencer at night is 100x more romantic

Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
The parking lot on the west shoreline of Treasure Island (close to where you get off the bridge) looking at downtown SF is pretty awesome.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 AM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
View from Crissy Field (SF), Berkeley Marina to view the sunset, Sunset view from Chabot Space and Science Center, Sunset view from Alameda Beach.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:10 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Since you ask for the entire Bay Area, and I see everyone suggesting places in and around SF and Oak, allow me then to list some in the South Bay:

1) The Hakone Japanese Garden in Saratoga is in my mind the best Japanese Garden in the Bay Area. Folks who have been to all of them in the Bay tend to agree on this.

2) Villa Montalvo in Saratoga. Picnic on the lawn, or you can bring a pillow and take a nap together by the bamboo garden.

3) The Pond in San Jose's Evergreen. Any time of the day, though best to go in the evening.

4) Communications Hill in San Jose at the top of the staircase and at the other hillside plaza. You need to go late, as the early evening time are full of joggers.

5) Anywhere along Hassler Parkway in San Jose's Evergreen. I'd also recommend both overhead bridges. The Eastern Bridge is larger and more fancy (used mostly for wedding shoots), but the view is not as good as the smaller Western Bridge.

6) Sierra Road in San Jose's Alum Rock Hills, by the large pullout near the top. For valley lights.

7) Rose Garden in San Jose's Rose Garden neighborhood, west of downtown.

8) Lake Andersen in Morgan Hill, main picnic ground during an early spring rain. You can shelter underneath the groves, and watch/hear the rain fall onto the lake surface while the purple flowers bloom around you

9) Kim Son Pagoda near Gilroy, in Mt. Madonna. The view from here is pretty spectacular, as you can see out to the Santa Cruz coastline. Try to go on weekdays when there's not too many worshippers. The sunrise is the best from up here.

10) Lake Almaden in San Jose's Almaden Valley. In the morning, you can come here and rent a small paddleboat and bring your homemade sandwiches Or you can bring your own canoe/rowboat if you have them.

11) A quick jaunt through Fremont's quaint Niles district, with old traincars and boutique stores. This is one of the lesser traveled "main street" of the small towns in the Bay Area, so you won't be seeing a ton of crowd.

12) The Ultimate? Drive/hike up to Lick Observatory on top of Mount Hamilton in East San Jose, during a winter evening on days when the snow falls on top of the mountain. You will nestle amongst the snow, with absolute silence around you, the largest observatory in Northern California right behind you, and when you look up into the night sky, you will see a show of stars not seen anywhere else in the Bay.

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 08-25-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned Coit Tower in SF? That was my favorite post-date jaunt in SF when I was dating SF/Oakland girls in my younger days.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 AM

538 posts, read 1,191,670 times
This most certainly does not meet everyone's romantic criteria, but I would suggest:

- Stow Lake (boats/peddle boats, pagoda)
- Climb to the top of the Corona Heights Peak (hardly ever crowded, great view)
- Grand View Park

For the last two you need decent weather, though.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
This most certainly does not meet everyone's romantic criteria, but I would suggest:

- Stow Lake (boats/peddle boats, pagoda)
I second Stow Lake. Almost anywhere in GG Park can be romantic.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
I also vote for Berkeley Botanical Gardens - great view of the Bay from right up at the top (Rose Garden). If I remember on a clear day you can see the Golden Gate Bridge.

Take a trip out to Angel Island and go for a hike. When you get off the ferry take a left turn (ask in the cafe if unsure) and take the steps up to the trail along to the old immigration center. Some stunning / amazing views from up there. Very quiet and serene. About an hour 45 mins there and back. Take a picnic, the cafe is expensive.

Take a walk along the beach at Half Moon Bay. Be sure to dress very warm.
Then go for a coffee in one of Half Moon Bays lovely coffee shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland