Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 04:33 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times

Advertisements

My cousin is coming over to the Bay Area for an internship in Oakland, it's for a short term stay for only a few months. I offer my extra room in my place in SF but she prefers to stay closer to work in Oakland and her relative on the other side of her family happens to live in Allendale and she has an invitation to stay with them.

Her relative, I might add, only very recently moved to that area from a very ghetto part of San Leandro; so I can't help but wonder if their perception may be a bit skewed but they insisted their area in Allendale is very safe. My cousin wanted a second opinion but I simply don't know too much about Allendale, so I'm incline to ask for opinions on this board. The place is on 38th Ave near Liese Ave. Would you live there if you are a young female?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 PM

337 posts, read 733,034 times
38th and Liese is fine. My mother partially grew up on 38th and Dale. Liese is probably one of the better streets in the neighborhood along with Suter and Fullington. You would be pretty close to 580 and the Laurel District. Allendale is another underrated East Oakland neighborhood. There is decent foot traffic across the overpass to the Laurel Business District. I don't think 38th starts getting seedy until maybe Brookdale - even then it's not that bad.

There has been a lot of Asian (mainly Chinese-Vietnamese and Chinese) people moving in over the years.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We lived on Mangels off of 35th and my wife grew up on Humboldt and went to Allendale school, but that was many years ago. We have gone back recently to visit friends still on Patterson and the area actually seems better than when we were there.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:13 AM

181 posts, read 319,357 times
As long as you stay off some of the main streets in the neighborhood (35th Ave / High St.), it's really not too much you would have to worry about.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:16 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We lived on Mangels off of 35th and my wife grew up on Humboldt and went to Allendale school, but that was many years ago. We have gone back recently to visit friends still on Patterson and the area actually seems better than when we were there.
I used to live on Humboldt and the biggest problem was vehicles parked on the street... lots of bad/careless drivers.

Make sure you have off street parking and a garage is even better.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:07 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Thanks everyone for very helpful info! It's nice to get perspective from people who had actually lived there.

We did some research on Allendale and it's supposed to be gentrifying but there are also a few news reports of shoot deaths. That seems to have freaked her out a bit. A follow up question, is that particular spot in a part of the neighborhood where you can be expected to hear gun shots at night or run into some unsavory types? Are the shootings uncharacteristic of the nabe? Allendale Ave in particular seems to come up a few times in shooting reports, and it's not far from Liese St. Now I know that sometimes news can be misleading; and there are basically three types of hoods - 1) where you hear gun shots and live in constant fear 2) where there is gunshots but you still feel relatively safe 3) there is no gunshot. Which one is Allendale?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:51 PM

In all honesty... there are no guarantees.

Some people and some activities increase the odds just as other don't.

For years my neighbors and I always said the bad guys don't even get out of bed before noon... we don't say it as much because some do hit the streets early now.

I have been fortunately to live in areas where the neighbors are the least of my worries... no matter what race or background... we all are invested in the neighborhood and know we are in it together.

The trend I find disturbing is OPD no longer responds to many calls because of how resources are allocated and criminals know it...

Meet the neighbors... attend area meetings and read the local papers... the Laurel District has a great neighborhood paper that provides insight and resources...

Oakland is divided into 5 police areas and the captain of each area has a direct e-mail for contact...

Old 08-29-2013, 03:55 PM

74 posts, read 149,563 times
I live across High Street from Allendale, and I have always thought of the area between High and 38th as the nicer area of Allendale, especially Eastman, Culver, Minna, Suter and Walnut.

I disagree with many posters who are saying that if you stay out of East Oakland or above 580 you are okay. There are many safe neighborhoods in East Oakland, but Oakland as a whole is experiencing an increase in crime because of whatever is going on with the police force over the past several years. Rockridge, Montclair, Temescal are seeing the same increases in crime as Maxwell Park, Allendale and Millsmont. The only areas that are seeing a decrease in burglaries, etc, right now are the areas with private patrols. My neighbors have told me that they never had to worry about crime like they have to now, and I am hearing the same thing from friends in the hills.

The good news is that this means it is a solvable problem, once we have leadership in place that makes it a priority.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM

I owned a home on Minna for a few years... had great neighbors and the home had lots of character.

When it came to sell... it made the cover of the Sunday Real Estate Section... it was only a 2 bedroom, 1 bath with tons of charm!

Never a single issue when I lived there...

Was saddened to learn some teen girls were dumped there not too long ago... they were not from the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland