Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 10,960 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Oakland this past week so(yes I'm another one of those white middle class "hipsters") I'm sure the news of another mugging is no surprise to anyone. This past Sunday I was on my way to meet nice young lady in downtown Oakland. I was walking along international blvd around 7.pm. Just keeping my head down minding my own business. Now I've lived in other cities such as NYC and Philadelphia and have even been to third world countries so I like to think I have a little bit of street smarts. Anyways, I'm just walking down the street minding my own business when I'm approached by two hispanic males. They keep walking beside me saying "what's up n**ger, you think your tough give me your phone!" As he's saying this he grabs me and tries to reach in my jacket pocket. I squat his hand away saying "get the **** away from me!"
At this point they start throwing punches. I know I'm at a disadvantage trying to fight two guys at once so I head towards a corner store across the street. I manage to get inside and avoid most of their punches. The main instigator manages to land a punch on my nose at which point I grabbed one of those upright metal stand that hold small bags of chips and start swinging it at them. The store is in chaos while I'm trying to fend off these idiots. I keep saying "what the f*ck is your problem, I don't even know you" Finally a security guard comes in and manages to get the guys out. The store owner ask me if I'm alright while informing me that he has called the cops. He gives me a bottle of water and says not to worry about the damage.
Eventually the cops show up they could care less. I'm kind of in awe about how bad the police are here. Yes, I know they're under funded and short on man power but I like to think attempted robbery is a big deal. They didn't even bother to look at the security footage or talk to the security guard who witness the whole thing. It was pretty much "well sucks for you man". Despite this I love the Bay Area so far. Everyone here seems extremely nice and friendly it just sucks you can't even walk down the street without having to look over your shoulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 02:07 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Glad you are OK. You could potentially avoid/minimize such incidents by being careful about the area you frequent. International Blvd. is not known as being particularly safe.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
You're in Oakland, the cops there exist at this point simply to (try) and keep outright mayhem from breaking out.

Come on down to Santa Clara County, if you want safe.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellisart View Post
Eventually the cops show up they could care less.
Oakland PD is composed in great part of guys who don't live in or near Oakland. They are often found to exhibit little concern for all but the most egregious goings-on there. Those thugs on International know that.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:43 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Oakland PD is composed in great part of guys who don't live in or near Oakland. They are often found to exhibit little concern for all but the most egregious goings-on there. Those thugs on International know that.
One problem with the federal court monitoring stuff is that it generally has a chilling effect on pro-active policing.

Most cops don't live where they work... unless it's in a nice small town - but if I was an OPD cop, I wouldn't even want to live in the same county, I'd probably commute in from Morgan Hill or Walnut Creek.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellisart View Post
I just moved to Oakland this past week so(yes I'm another one of those white middle class "hipsters") I'm sure the news of another mugging is no surprise to anyone. This past Sunday I was on my way to meet nice young lady in downtown Oakland. I was walking along international blvd around 7.pm. Just keeping my head down minding my own business. Now I've lived in other cities such as NYC and Philadelphia and have even been to third world countries so I like to think I have a little bit of street smarts. Anyways, I'm just walking down the street minding my own business when I'm approached by two hispanic males. They keep walking beside me saying "what's up n**ger, you think your tough give me your phone!" As he's saying this he grabs me and tries to reach in my jacket pocket. I squat his hand away saying "get the **** away from me!"
At this point they start throwing punches. I know I'm at a disadvantage trying to fight two guys at once so I head towards a corner store across the street. I manage to get inside and avoid most of their punches. The main instigator manages to land a punch on my nose at which point I grabbed one of those upright metal stand that hold small bags of chips and start swinging it at them. The store is in chaos while I'm trying to fend off these idiots. I keep saying "what the f*ck is your problem, I don't even know you" Finally a security guard comes in and manages to get the guys out. The store owner ask me if I'm alright while informing me that he has called the cops. He gives me a bottle of water and says not to worry about the damage.
Eventually the cops show up they could care less. I'm kind of in awe about how bad the police are here. Yes, I know they're under funded and short on man power but I like to think attempted robbery is a big deal. They didn't even bother to look at the security footage or talk to the security guard who witness the whole thing. It was pretty much "well sucks for you man". Despite this I love the Bay Area so far. Everyone here seems extremely nice and friendly it just sucks you can't even walk down the street without having to look over your shoulder.
they had a gun??

Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
I think they call it strong arm robbery without a gun, using physical assault to get your valuables

Old 08-27-2013, 04:25 PM

They didn't have a gun(thankgod). They were still demanding my possessions and were using force to try and get them.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:26 PM

Plus the cop said it was attempted robbery so I'm going by what he said.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:16 PM

339 posts, read 516,023 times
I'd spend more of my walking time on Piedmont Ave, Grand Ave, Broadway, Telegraph, College Ave and Lakeshore Ave instead of International Blvd and I doubt you'll get mugged again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland