Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 AM

8 posts, read 11,756 times

Advertisements

Recently accepted an offer for a job in San Francisco.

I'm moving with a family of 3 (2 adults and 1 kid).

My salary is $60,000.

From looking at Craigslist and padmapper are quite expensive.

I don't mind commuting, so I don't mind living in the greater San Francisco area. I would like to avoid the toll bridges.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 01:43 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
How old is your kid? For good schools look at Alameda.

If you can wait on schools, and you can afford to live close to where you work, that is the ideal in the SF Bay Area. Commuting sucks. Life is better when you don't have to commute.

The SF school system is on a lottery system which I've heard can be a nightmare. Depending on what part of the city you will work in you might want to look at San Mateo or other areas. I just personally like Alameda, but check out other options for ease of commute and good schools.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 AM

Kid is 3 years old. Is there a toll from Alameda to San Francisco? My job is located in the heart of San Francisco. I'm moving from the East Coast to San Francisco. What's the best advice for someone looking for a place?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:25 AM

Alameda looks nice from what I've been reading and looking at. How is Daly City area? San Mateo? Any places to avoid? I also have a car.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:01 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Yes, there is a toll if you drive back and forth across the Bay Bridge from the Alameda side to SF. Alameda also doesn't have a BART stop, so you'd have to drive to a BART station if you took BART to SF.

I've heard San Mateo is really nice, but don't personally know that area or Daly City.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM

507 posts, read 917,597 times
The view on the Oakland/Alameda ferry is incredible, but a little more expensive than BART.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:14 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bsolete View Post
Recently accepted an offer for a job in San Francisco.

I'm moving with a family of 3 (2 adults and 1 kid).

My salary is $60,000.
I hope the other adult will be working too; otherwise you won't enjoy life here very much.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:48 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
you will be struggling if you live in the city iof san francisco
your income is considerably below what qualifies as low income for a family in san francisco.
the good news is you most likely qualify for some form of government assistance.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:18 PM

That's why it would be better for me to live outside of San Francisco. I was looking at Daly City and San Mateo. Possibly Alameda. So far, I've liked what I've heard and read about Alameda.

The other adult will be working.

Thank you for all your responses.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:08 PM

49 posts, read 234,858 times
My best piece of advice is to try hard to find the RIGHT place in the city, not just A place. When I moved from the east coast, my roommate and grabbed an apartment by baker beach. First one we saw. Gorgeous, safe, but without a car, it's difficult to live there. Now I am looking for an apartment again and all the prices have gone up. Now I regret not looking for the right place for me. Expect renting to be more difficult and expensive when your lease is up. It might be tough right now, but it looks like it will only get worse.

However, if you do have a car, and the other adult is working, you might want to consider Baker Beach apartments in the presidio. Great neighborhood, and when I was looking november last year, the rent was a bit over 2k, with town homes a little over 3. Probably has gone up since then. It's very safe, the there is a shuttle that'll get you downtown in 45 minutes to an hour during normal commuting hours. Walk to the beach, actual nature for your kid to play in, and washer and dryer hookups in the unit. I also found the leasing process to be remarkably painless,one free parking spot. Central Richmond (which I really like) is right next door. If I had a kid, I'd put up with the commute.

My brother has a kid about your kids age. They live in Dublin, and he commutes via Bart. Takes him a little over an hour to get home, but he uses the Bart ride in for "me" time. Working on personal projects, playing video games blah blah. The weather out there is great, and is definitely a nice suburban area, if thats your thing. Very car friendly. can't say much more than that.

Last edited by rao4400; 09-26-2013 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland