Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:19 AM

36,643 posts, read 67,325,378 times

Advertisements

Why squabble people, we're all the same area.

San Jose, San Francisco square off for Silicon Valley innovation bragging rights - Silicon Valley Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:29 AM

538 posts, read 1,188,815 times
In my humble opinion neither is or should try to be the "Innovation Capital of SV". If anything, this title is Palo Alto's.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:29 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,806,792 times
We got more geeks. Case closed!

Old 09-27-2013, 04:32 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,854,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
In my humble opinion neither is or should try to be the "Innovation Capital of SV". If anything, this title is Palo Alto's.
As one of the biggest rah-rah SJ booster on this forum, I cannot disagree with this quote.

SF and SJ are the bookends to this great economic engine, whose heart/brain/intestines is actually Palo Alto.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:11 PM

165 posts, read 275,965 times
San Francisco wins due to vibrant urban center which San Jose doesn't have and is lacking. Young generations like being in active and creative urban center, San Jose will cede tech rein to San Francisco.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,067,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
San Francisco wins due to vibrant urban center which San Jose doesn't have and is lacking. Young generations like being in active and creative urban center, San Jose will cede tech rein to San Francisco.
You sure do seem obsessed with vibrant urban centers...

Regardless, tech, at the end of the day, is technology, not twitter or facebook, so... Santa Clara wins!

Old 11-21-2013, 07:08 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,987,144 times
I think the whole battle for capitol of SV is silly. I get it that as humans we need to always designate a capitol/poster child for something, and cities are interested in having their city take that title for obvious reasons. But at the end of the day, any black and white designation as to which is the capitol of Silicon Valley would be like calling everyone who has a computer related job a software engineer.

The tech industry, as it grows, will continue to expand while diversifying and specializing into smaller sub-branches. As I see it, the peninsula has long dominated more of the hardware/silicon chips part of computer technology. As social, mobile and gaming media grows, SF seems to specialize more in that. SF is hot right now in the tech world and has a lot of start up activity, because social and mobile media are growing industries with money making opportunities right now. Social/mobile media tends to not need as much square footage for their companies as the old hardware companies so not being on a sprawling corporate campus is okay. Also, the new starts in social/mobile media also seem to rely on trendiness, better artistic design, word of mouth marketing, and social cachet. Something that SF is more culturally positioned to provide than the suburbs of the peninsula. Plus, the Millenials which are starting these companies, mostly prefer to live in an urban environment. In the old days, more of the money was in hardware and mobile media didn't even yet exist. But the tech culture in SF would not be possible without what came before it on the peninsula.

Silicon Valley has to evolve and a lot of people have been saying it isn't as innovative as it once was. That may be true. But one way you can see SV evolving is that shift to SF.

Once SF matures as a tech hub, what is next? The way I see it, the tech industry continues to grow because it is a future industry. So it gobbles up cities as it goes along. So it started down on the peninsula, and expanded its way north to SF. Will Oakland and the East Bay be the next frontier for the next generation of tech companies? Hard to imagine, right? Well, I think if you go back far enough in history, people wouldn't have guessed SF to become a hot tech hub! But now SF is the geographic place to support the new wave of tech companies. So maybe one day in the future, Oakland and the East Bay will be a hub for another wave of tech!

But what do I know... I don't even work in tech. Haha.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,054,023 times
Which city wants to get screwed over harder when the good times bubble inevitably bursts?

Old 11-23-2013, 06:49 PM

165 posts, read 275,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
You sure do seem obsessed with vibrant urban centers...

Regardless, tech, at the end of the day, is technology, not twitter or facebook, so... Santa Clara wins!
I'm not, but these young and creative high tech workers are. San Francisco wins in this regard.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:35 PM

243 posts, read 466,461 times
I vote for San Leandro, because it is in the middle between SJ and SF .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland