Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:30 AM

71 posts, read 481,033 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband is from the East Bay and just got a job in Berkeley. We currently are living in the Midwest closer to where I am from.

We are very down to earth people. I prefer to live somewhere with a community feel without a lot of uppity attitudes. My husband would love to live in Piedmont/Montclair, but we would live in a lower priced home (mid 600 K) for the area.

What is downtown Piedmont like? How does it compare community-wise to Castro Valley (another consideration).

Please go by 1st hand knowledge and not rumor. Any help it appreciated!!

Theresa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 11:59 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Piedmont is the "Upper Crust" of the East Bay... Lots of old money around.

The city is completely encircled by the City of Oakland. I read somewhere, that Piedmont became a city as opposed to being annexed by Oakland by only a couple of votes. The wealthy of the time choose to create a separate enclave.

Industry and Manufacturing are non-existent. Tax base is mostly property tax with some retail.

Last I checked, Piedmont public schools were rated the best of the best.

Crime is very low... and everyone I know loves living there if they can afford the Real Estate.

Building and exterior remodeling permits are often quite frustrating to obtain.

Some residential areas have posted 15 mph speed limits... be careful, a Piedmont Police officer once told me that you can be jailed for going 30 in a 15 mph zone because divining 30 is twice the posted limit.

The Montclair district of Oakland is more rural in flavor with a very nice small town shopping district. Many large custom homes with views and sidewalks are almost non-existent. Low crime as compared to Oakland and good elementry schools with parent envolvement.

Castro Valley is incorporated county and has a mix of all types of housing from 1920's bungalows, new housing tracts, small 3 to 4 home tracts and custom homes. Average to very good elementy schools.

I don't think 600k will buy a single family detached home in Montclair or Piedmont. 600K is on the low side for Castro Valley and would not have been possible two years ago... I know because I sold a home there in 2004.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:16 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Completely surrounded by Oakland, Piedmont is the Urban East Bay's version of Beverly Hills-except as far as median income its actually richer than BH. Piedmont is a chic, woodsy suburb with probably the best overall school district in the state of California. The homes there range from stately manor homes to modest bungalows(but there arent that many of those).

Piedmont homes are known for their luxury and size

High in the wooded and sheltered East Bay Hills, away from the hustle and bustle of urban life, The Montclair area of Oakland is one of that city's largest neighborhoods and also one of its wealthiest. Though not as pretentious as Piedmont(next door), its very upscale and is the home of thousands of professionals. It has a vibrant retail district and the topography of the place is astounding as you have steep hillsides whose narrow roads seem to snake up to the sky, crowded canyons below with Hy 13 as the areas main highway. I would actually pick Montclair out of the 3 because like Piedmont, its a relatively easy commute to Berkeley, there is a downhome feeling there but its almost European in the way people are and their attitudes about nature, food, art etc. Its also pricey, but a bit cheaper than Piedmont(which is "uppity" as you put it)

Id also like to recommend you take a look at Glenview, a district that borders Piedmont and Montclair to the West. The upper areas of Glenview offer a very family friendly feel and there is a small but charming retail strip there. Very chill and prices range from $600,000 to just over $1 Million. I think you might like it.

Another area, that is a bit more crowded but very nice is Rockridge, which actually borders Berkeley. Its considered one of the hippest(if not the hippest) area of Oakland and the East Bay. There are scores of excellent restaurants, there is a large and vibrant retail district along College Av, which includes a BART station which gives you excellent access to Downtown SF, SF Airport, Downtown Oakland, Oakland airport(but if your going to be living there, driving to the airport isnt that much of a hassle), and Rockridge, like Glenview, offers stunning craftsman homes and bungalows along tree lined streets-but there are mansions in that area too, but Rockridge, like Montclair and Glenview dont feel "uppity". Prices in Rockridge run the gamut and range from $400,000 for a condo to $5 Million+ for a mansion rebuilt after the fire of 1991.

Oh,
There are other areas worth mentioning but I suppose this will do for now. Hope this helps!

Old 11-18-2007, 12:37 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Default One of Oakland's best kept secrets...

Thanks 18Montclair, your descriptions are much better than mine... and a picture is worth a thousand words!

Only thing I can think to add... while everyone has heard of Beverly Hills, I've found many Bay Area residents have never heard of Piedmont... kind of a best kept secret. Also many are unfamiliar with the Montclair district of Oakland.

I've posted before about my girlfriend in college... her parents forbid her to visit me in Oakland. They had NO idea of Oakland's beauty and diversity until I spent a afternoon showing them around.

Amazing how limited one's views are if your only perceptions are formed from negative media...

We also drove through Piedmont via Estates Avenue and stopped on Piedmont Ave for lunch at Fenton's Creamery...

Old 11-18-2007, 01:21 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Thanks 18Montclair, your descriptions are much better than mine... and a picture is worth a thousand words!

Only thing I can think to add... while everyone has heard of Beverly Hills, I've found many Bay Area residents have never heard of Piedmont... kind of a best kept secret. Also many are unfamiliar with the Montclair district of Oakland.

I've posted before about my girlfriend in college... her parents forbid her to visit me in Oakland. They had NO idea of Oakland's beauty and diversity until I spent a afternoon showing them around.

Amazing how limited one's views are if your only perceptions are formed from negative media...

We also drove through Piedmont via Estates Avenue and stopped on Piedmont Ave for lunch at Fenton's Creamery...
Lovely.

I kinda like that Oakland is so underrated...if only they knew how awesome it really is, my hometown would be innundated.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:54 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Note that Piedmont Ave, a very nice shopping/dining area, is not in Piedmont - it is in Oakland. Piedmont has essentially no retail/dining area whatsoever.

Of the three places the original poster mentioned, I would go with Montclair. Nothing wrong with Castro Valley, but the commute to Berkeley sucks compared to the commute from Piedmont or Montclair. On the other hand, CV is the only place where $600k is going to get a decent place. No such thing as a $600k place in Piedmont.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:58 PM

71 posts, read 481,033 times
Thanks to all.... the info. and pictures were very helpful

Old 11-18-2007, 05:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
definitely the former

Old 11-19-2007, 10:14 AM

718 posts, read 2,687,669 times
castro valley also has a bart station which can take you directly to berkeley. the housing market is dingy right now and a decent 3 bed room 2car ranch can be found in the 600k range in castro valley. Piedmont also has a large jewish population where as castro valley doesn't have as many.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:57 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Piedmont also has a large jewish population where as castro valley doesn't have as many.
I must have missed something. How is this relevant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland