Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 14,082 times

Advertisements

My daughter is attending a rave at Oracle Arena. We are going to be renting an apartment in the Temescula area. Here are my questions: can I easily drop her off and pick her up at the arena without paying for parking? Is getting a taxi home at 2 in the morning possible from the arena? Any ideas regarding a taxi versus a town car? Also is the Temescula area a fairly safe area in which to stay? Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 12:01 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,107,317 times
If your daughter isn't old enough to go to Oakland, stay on her own or figure out a cab for herself, she's probably too young for this to be safe. Does she know the area? Will she be with friends?

I'm assuming the rave ends at 2am. At that time, a few thousand people, many of whom will be high, will all exit into an area that isn't the safest, without BART service, potentially without bus service (if there's a strike, or very limited if there isn't). And many will be looking for cabs, sharing rides, going to party more, etc.

It just doesn't sound like a good place for someone too young to make the trip to Oakland on her own and take care of herself. In other words, if she must go, drop her off and pick her up. Otherwise, I'd advise no-go.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:30 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,007,689 times
Temescula?

I think you mean Temescal. Anyways, Oracle Arena is in a horrible part of town. At 2am, even with a ton of people around (many of whom will probably be high), I'd never let my daughter try to catch a cab there!

Rave at Oracle Arena plus trying to catch a cab amongst a bunch of high ravers in the middle of "the hood" late at night sounds like a pretty bad idea on many levels.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 PM

23,280 posts, read 23,649,722 times
That's a rough area, right next to Oakland Coliseum, which is sketchy and rough, even during the day. I would never set foot there at night.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:45 PM

227 posts, read 536,562 times
The Temescal is fine. But you need to drop-off and pick-up from the Coliseum at a designated area. AND remind her of the dangers of ingesting anything, leaving her drink around, accepting drinks from strangers, etc., etc.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:47 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,424,325 times
I think BART would be the only place safe you could catch a cab and even then I'd only do it if there was a lot of people going to and from BART at the time to either get to their cars or catch cabs as well. Personally I'd pick her up if you can.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:41 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,475,392 times
The Temescal neighborhood is fine, but do use street smarts like you would in any urban area. Also, I recommend staying east of MacArthur BART Station (the freeway) because the area just to the west is not considered particularly safe.

The neighborhood surrounding Oracle Arena is not safe and should be avoided. The pedestrian bridge that connects Oracle Arena to the Amtrak and BART stations is fine as long as there are people around. I recommend picking up and dropping off your daughter at the Amtrak station. The drop-off area at the BART station is not as easily accessible by car coming from the freeway. While it is true that the BART station is safer because of the foot traffic, the station is closed and only limited bus service runs through there overnight, so there is no distinct advantage to it at 2 AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland