Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:54 PM

719 posts, read 984,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
I'm wondering if there's more to this story as someone who's lived in Seattle for a few years.
Thanks for implying I'm a liar. Why would I make stuff up? The simple fact of the matter is that a segment of the population here seems to have an 'engage and destroy' approach to other people's politics, and other parts of the country do not. You can choose to ignore that, or you may not have experienced it firsthand (if you have left-leaning bumper stickers in Seattle, how would you have such experiences?), but that doesn't negate the fact that it's happened to me -- randomly -- on several different occasions.

I'm used to getting flipped off by drivers. Boston was definitely big on that. You'd get into some little tiff with another driver and flip each other the bird. I am not, however, accustomed to people randomly attacking me over a three-inch chrome-plated plastic fish. The last time I checked, this country was founded by Christians. It's a sad day when we're made to feel unwelcome because we're not ashamed of our beliefs.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:03 PM

578 posts, read 1,292,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Thanks for implying I'm a liar. Why would I make stuff up?
Hold your horses there, I did nothing of the sort.

Quote:
The simple fact of the matter is that a segment of the population here seems to have an 'engage and destroy' approach to other people's politics, and other parts of the country do not.
That's actually incorrect. I've seen this all over the US.

Quote:
You can choose to ignore that, or you may not have experienced it firsthand (if you have left-leaning bumper stickers in Seattle, how would you have such experiences?), but that doesn't negate the fact that it's happened to me -- randomly -- on several different occasions.
There is a reason why I believe bumper stickers and anything related are just asking for trouble.

Quote:
The last time I checked, this country was founded by Christians. It's a sad day when we're made to feel unwelcome because we're not ashamed of our beliefs.
Technically it was, but the USA was founded on the idea of religious freedom. I have seen non-Christian folks be berated by Christian folk.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
There is a reason why I believe bumper stickers and anything related are just asking for trouble.
So it would be okay to walk up and assail me if I was wearing a necklace with a cross on it, I suppose? How is an expression of faith 'asking for trouble?' This isn't a 'Nobama' bumper sticker we're talking about here (although lord knows I agree with them whole-heartedly), it's a little fish that says 'hey world, I'm a God-fearing girl.' How does that represent an appeal for aggressive encounters?

Old 10-20-2013, 03:10 PM

578 posts, read 1,292,218 times
Quote:
So it would be okay to walk up and assail me if I was wearing a necklace with a cross on it, I suppose? How is an expression of faith 'asking for trouble?' This isn't a 'Nobama' bumper sticker we're talking about here (although lord knows I agree with them whole-heartedly), it's a little fish that says 'hey world, I'm a God-fearing girl.' How does that represent an appeal for aggressive encounters?
I think you should avoid the Bay if you are that worried about being assaulted. Sacramento will probably be a better fit since it's more of a mix of right and left leaning folks.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:20 PM

Again, I am flabbergasted that we're coming to this as a nation. The solution to disagreement is now becoming 'I think there are some places you should avoid?'

Wow.

If a Connecticut Yankee was asking me if they thought they'd find happiness in Birmingham, AL, my answer to them wouldn't be 'no, I think you'd be much better off in Austin or Tampa Bay because people here will be nasty to you, and that's just life.' It would be to condemn the territorial losers who are so shallow as to want to drive perceived 'enemies' off 'their' turf.

Once upon a time, not so long ago, we were all living in the same country, and people were as welcome in one place as any place else. They might not be politically represented in one place or another, but the majority in that place -- generally speaking -- felt confident enough in their control that they didn't need to take petty shots at the minority or send them packing.

At what point do we throw up our hands and fight the second Civil War? That may seem like an extreme reaction, but if I'm so bitterly detested because I worship Christ as to be unwelcome in one of America's greatest cities, then maybe that's not so extreme after all.

*Edit* I asked the question, and I appreciate the honest replies. I'm just repulsed by the state of things. How did we come to this as a people? We used to celebrate political discourse, not shun it.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:03 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,056,405 times
Original Poster,

My old friend John, he's basically my oldest friend, we met when we were both 12. We grew up in the same suburb in Silicon Valley, both our families were in the upper middle class, with parents making at the high end of a six figure salary (over 200k), all four parents had college degrees, we went to the same schools, and both of us joined the military after high school, although John went to the USAF and I went USN.

But, he is on the right, and I'm the left. He voted for McCain, I voted for Obama. But we're still friends! In fact he's basically still my best friend, if one still makes such distinctions at age 35, lol. Although he has since moved to Los Angeles.

As others have said, the key is, are you moderate or not (moderate would be far more welcome than far right like the Tea Party, although there are Tea Party members in the Bay Area), and how aggressive are you in expressing your beliefs.

Religion is different, there are Christians who are devout in their belief but still on the left. They would say that Matthew 25 is the basis of them being left wing Christians ("whatever you did for the least of your brothers you did for me"). Many scientists believe in both the scientific understanding of how the universe works and the religious understanding of the deeper meaning and purpose behind it. See, for example, the Society of Jesus among the Roman Catholic Priests, aka Jesuit Priests.

Personally I am a Deist, meaning I believe there is a Creator, but all it did was write the laws of physics, and then left the universe/multiverse on autopilot.

And while I vote for Democrats for federal office, I often vote for Republicans on a local and State level. For example I voted for Arnold Schwarzenegger both times, and I voted for Meg Whitman (Republican, former CEO of eBay) in the last election.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Original Poster,

My old friend John, he's basically my oldest friend, we met when we were both 12. We grew up in the same suburb in Silicon Valley, both our families were in the upper middle class, with parents making at the high end of a six figure salary (over 200k), all four parents had college degrees, we went to the same schools, and both of us joined the military after high school, although John went to the USAF and I went USN.

But, he is on the right, and I'm the left. He voted for McCain, I voted for Obama. But we're still friends! In fact he's basically still my best friend, if one still makes such distinctions at age 35, lol. Although he has since moved to Los Angeles.

As others have said, the key is, are you moderate or not (moderate would be far more welcome than far right like the Tea Party, although there are Tea Party members in the Bay Area), and how aggressive are you in expressing your beliefs.

Religion is different, there are Christians who are devout in their belief but still on the left. They would say that Matthew 25 is the basis of them being left wing Christians ("whatever you did for the least of your brothers you did for me"). Many scientists believe in both the scientific understanding of how the universe works and the religious understanding of the deeper meaning and purpose behind it. See, for example, the Society of Jesus among the Roman Catholic Priests, aka Jesuit Priests.

Personally I am a Deist, meaning I believe there is a Creator, but all it did was write the laws of physics, and then left the universe/multiverse on autopilot.

And while I vote for Democrats for federal office, I often vote for Republicans on a local and State level. For example I voted for Arnold Schwarzenegger both times, and I voted for Meg Whitman (Republican, former CEO of eBay) in the last election.
You sound like a moderate yourself .

No, neither myself nor my husband identify with the Tea Party. We do not believe in holding the government hostage over sour grapes. We are desperately opposed to the health care law, however. My husband is out of work, but because of my income, he couldn't even dream of signing up for Obamacare.

Worse is my brother in law, who has severe Crohn's Disease. He's currently covered by my father-in-law's Navy health insurance, but once he is forced off of it, he'll be thrown to the wolves. He makes a pittance working as a low-wage employee, but would actually be better off quitting his job and going 100% 'on the take' than buying into the new system. The new law has done nothing to help him, and will actually cost him even his meager income when the time comes. It just plain sucks.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:42 PM

510 posts, read 429,944 times
Depending on where you are the political intolerance can definitely be a step up from Seattle.

In parts of Berkeley and Oakland you can get hostile remarks and looks for simply appearing to be a regular non-ironic, non-tattooed white person. It's usually easy to ignore, but if this sort of thing upsets you I'd avoid the area.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:44 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,143,793 times
Regarding the wolf killing thing....

I notice in the cities (Bay area, Los Angeles) it's very frowned upon to kill wildlife. Deer, bears, mountain lions, bobcats, skunks, raccoons, coyotes -- if it isn't eating you, don't kill it. People get very very upset over this. Extremely upset.

The only acceptable way to deal with wildlife is to catch them on video and post them on Youtube.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:03 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,969,495 times
Quote:
Again, I am flabbergasted that we're coming to this as a nation. The solution to disagreement is now becoming 'I think there are some places you should avoid?'

Wow.

If a Connecticut Yankee was asking me if they thought they'd find happiness in Birmingham, AL, my answer to them wouldn't be 'no, I think you'd be much better off in Austin or Tampa Bay because people here will be nasty to you, and that's just life.' It would be to condemn the territorial losers who are so shallow as to want to drive perceived 'enemies' off 'their' turf.

Once upon a time, not so long ago, we were all living in the same country, and people were as welcome in one place as any place else. They might not be politically represented in one place or another, but the majority in that place -- generally speaking -- felt confident enough in their control that they didn't need to take petty shots at the minority or send them packing.

At what point do we throw up our hands and fight the second Civil War? That may seem like an extreme reaction, but if I'm so bitterly detested because I worship Christ as to be unwelcome in one of America's greatest cities, then maybe that's not so extreme after all.

*Edit* I asked the question, and I appreciate the honest replies. I'm just repulsed by the state of things. How did we come to this as a people? We used to celebrate political discourse, not shun it.
After all the long winded stories and opinions on you beliefs it sounds like you ARE trying to start a political debate here. My honest reply is that you won't be assaulted or harassed but don't expect people to anxiously await your thoughts on politics or religion. It's completely unnecessary to express your "repulsion" over the person most of us voted into office for another term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland