Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:50 PM

297 posts, read 766,837 times

Advertisements

It's not just east bay to SV. I live in Pacifica and commute to Redwood shores. In the summer it can take as little as 25 minutes, currently its taking 45-1:00. Even 280 now has traffic between 380 and 92, what used to be a clean shot with no traffic, is starting to back up. Part of the problem is too many people live in the city and commute down to SV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 12:06 AM

510 posts, read 430,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
Is it just me, or is there an increase in congestion over the past few months?

My morning trip has gone from an hour trip down 880, then began to increase in time until last week where I've been having a normal 1.5+ hour trip every time I go down 880. It feels like even leaving earlier still leaves me stuck in traffic for the same amount of time.
Gas is cheaper, so you've got more slobs driving around aimlessly during rush hour(and every other hour).

When gas was $4.50 it was driving paradise for us working folk.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:56 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
The worst traffic around here is in the late fall and winter, without fail. But just you wait. The first rain this year is going to make the roads a skating rink because it has been so dry, all of the oil buildup will be drawn out and there will be accidents everywhere.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:14 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
My 23 mile commute takes an hour and 15 minutes.

We need larger freeways to get people from the east bay to SV.
My commute is 35 miles and is now going for an hour and 45 minutes in morning and evening. There's no escaping it. I'm traveling from East Bay to Palo Alto.
There's no easy way to get from A to B for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The worst traffic around here is in the late fall and winter, without fail. But just you wait. The first rain this year is going to make the roads a skating rink because it has been so dry, all of the oil buildup will be drawn out and there will be accidents everywhere.
It just irks me. I did two weeks in December of last year and this past January of driving from EB to Santa Cruz, and it took me two hours in the morning.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:31 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Yep. Add holiday shopping to the mix beginning in December and you've got the perfect storm for going absolutely nowhere in a big hurry on the freeways.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:14 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Just drove this morning from Fremont to Santa Cruz (1 hour 30 minutes), not bad.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:57 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooler View Post
Part of the problem is too many people live in the city and commute down to SV.
How many times must it be said: Live Near Your Job!
(Especially for those who insist on living in SF and commuting to SV).

Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
It really bothers me when people repeat that stupid phrase over and over again like it's some indisputable gospel. For one, not everyone has the luxury to live where they work (SV is MUCH MUCH MUCH more expensive than the East Bay, as is SF). Secondly, not everyone WANTS to live near their job, because either their job is located in a remote/boring/awful city or town, OR they love everything about the town/city they live in and a commute (as annoying as it may be) makes much more financial sense.

With that said, if you CHOOSE to live an hour away from your job and you can easily afford to live by it, then stop whining or suck it up and move.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:53 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
I take 880 heading into work and it is not too bad going north but when I look over to the other side that is heading South it is a parking lot.

Also my commute on 101 to San Rafael is brutal heavy and congested. It starts around the Cesar Chavez exit and stays that way until you pass the 580 Richmond Bridge Exit on the other side of the GG. Yesterday was unreal and I am so thankful that I rode my motorcyle. It is really bad if I have to go to another location for class which requires taking the Bay Bridge. I can't image what it is like to drive a car in that type of traffic.

But soon I will be a victim of that once the rain starts. I will have to put away my motorcycle and take my car

Old 11-06-2013, 04:21 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
How many times must it be said: Live Near Your Job!
(Especially for those who insist on living in SF and commuting to SV).
I've brought this up in previous topics, but I signed my lease a week before I got my offer out of nowhere ... sighhhh. We don't have enough to break lease to move closer, so are waiting it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland