U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-23-2007, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 10,820 times
Default HELP! From Georgia to Cali

Hey, everyone.

I'm in Atlanta - mid 30s. Me and a musician/DJ friend of mine are looking to move to Cali (next month) and we've narrowed it down to San Francisco and Sacremento (for diversity's sake). He's into Electronic music (downtempo, acid house, lounge, etc.) and we're looking to get him into that scene. I've NEVER moved by myself before and this is more like a spiritual transition for me, never having really travelled except through the SouthEast (I'm originally from Chicago), but never have travelled on the west coast EVER! This is a HUGE change. I'm an accountant by trade, but I'm also an author and music industry educator/consultant.

Additionally, I will be bringing my 8 year old son to live with me next year after the school year is out in Atlanta so schools are also important for me in this transition.

So in a nutshell, something affordable (willing to rent first), somewhere I can find a job fairly quickly (accounting), good schools with an artistic community where a musician/dj can find paid gigs and we can just enjoy life to the fullest, well at least one stop in the journey for a little while!

Any suggestions? If these two cities are not the ideal choice, can you suggest some other places in Cali that might fit our profiles? We're kind of just hopping in the car and coming to the west coast (it's not a negative move, like we're not running away from anything/anyone/legal stuff, nothing like that ), so any help on WHERE TO START LOOKING FOR HOUSING, sublets, temporary housing in safe areas would be great! I'll start looking for a job while I'm there, but I can chill for a month comfortably (for vacation purposes). Any help will be appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 07:08 PM

875 posts, read 10,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofras View Post
Hey, everyone.

I'm in Atlanta - mid 30s. Me and a musician/DJ friend of mine are looking to move to Cali (next month) and we've narrowed it down to San Francisco and Sacremento (for diversity's sake). He's into Electronic music (downtempo, acid house, lounge, etc.) and we're looking to get him into that scene. I've NEVER moved by myself before and this is more like a spiritual transition for me, never having really travelled except through the SouthEast (I'm originally from Chicago), but never have travelled on the west coast EVER! This is a HUGE change. I'm an accountant by trade, but I'm also an author and music industry educator/consultant.

Additionally, I will be bringing my 8 year old son to live with me next year after the school year is out in Atlanta so schools are also important for me in this transition.

So in a nutshell, something affordable (willing to rent first), somewhere I can find a job fairly quickly (accounting), good schools with an artistic community where a musician/dj can find paid gigs and we can just enjoy life to the fullest, well at least one stop in the journey for a little while!

Any suggestions? If these two cities are not the ideal choice, can you suggest some other places in Cali that might fit our profiles? We're kind of just hopping in the car and coming to the west coast (it's not a negative move, like we're not running away from anything/anyone/legal stuff, nothing like that ), so any help on WHERE TO START LOOKING FOR HOUSING, sublets, temporary housing in safe areas would be great! I'll start looking for a job while I'm there, but I can chill for a month comfortably (for vacation purposes). Any help will be appreciated!!!!
I would suggest waiting until winter is over. It gets really cold in both places during the winter months.

There is a world of difference between San Francisco, and Sacramento. You should do some more research before yo make such a drastic move.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:48 PM

21 posts, read 67,214 times
Check Craigslist to get a sense of the SF Bay area rental prices. That will determine alot. The music scene is better in SF, I believe, than in Sacramento for the style you are talking about. Finding a good school is another matter. Sounds like your child is in 2nd grade? I would really, really, really spend alot of time finding the right school - specifically in regards to education gaps that might occur due to this move. What they teach at your childs school in 2nd grade may be alot different than what they teach in your CA destination city school. 2nd to 4th grade are extremely important educational years for children, as this is when their foundation for learning is established, and if a gap occurrs in your childs education due to differences in curriculum you will end up paying for it - in tutor time, afterschool programs, etc. Trust me, I have been there and know what a change like this can do! And I only moved my daughter between schools in the same town!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 PM

3,889 posts, read 8,007,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofras View Post
... We're kind of just hopping in the car and coming to the west coast...
If you have the confidence to do that, you are truly on a spiritual journey and you shouldn't have any trouble finding your new life.

Welcome to California, it can truly be the Land of Milk and Honey if you know how to see it.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Thanks to everyone so far...

Hey, thank you so much for each of your comments. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. this is important to me and I'm heeding all of your suggestions.

Please do continue to send more comments, suggestions, if you have them.

THANKS and God bless you all!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 PM

19 posts, read 205,747 times
SOFRAS, if you're looking for affordability then Sacramento is your place, you can find Accountant positions in both locations (pay would be better in Frisco), for Diversity-Frisco is your place-there are pockets of Oakland that offer all of the above-you have to get past Oakland's reputation as having high crime areas-but I've lived there for over 10 yrs and have loved it (lived around Lake Merrit-which can be pricey)...I second the notion of checking out Craigslist-enjoy your journey!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 PM

Thanks to every one that responded! Sincerely appreciate it. God bless!

Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 PM

25 posts, read 102,634 times
Oakland/the east bay, has everything SF has for less with better weather and a head start on weekend traffic if you want to head east.
Oakland also has less of everything that SF has and it can be more difficult to find and get to.
So, here is a list:
Sushi: Dai ten 10th st, Oakland & Mijori Grand ave Oakland. Great owners, best/freshest sashimi hands down.

Pizza: Lane splitters, sanpablo ave, Berkeley. & Pyzanno's, castro valley blvd, Castro Valley.

Thai food: Cha am, Shattuck ave, Berkeley & Bancock 580, castro valley blvd, Castro valley

the best Thai food ever: Pacifica Thai , Pacifica ( south of SF)

Mexican: La pinata, park st , alameda & Guadalajara, fruitvale, Oakland

Parks: Albany bulb next to golden gate fields horse racing track (for quirky area free art)& East bay regional parks.

good luck

Old 06-11-2008, 02:57 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,004,950 times
How about Davis which is outside of Sacramento. It is a small college town that has great schools, and a lot of diversity. It is very bikeable and walkable, and also commutable to Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland