Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 05:50 AM

12 posts, read 31,035 times

Advertisements

We are an European family with 3 children coming around Foster City, Redwood shores, Belmont and San Carlos for one year. I heard that Belmont and San Carlos are nice but what about Foster City and Redwood shores? Schools seems to be descent and rent a bit cheaper? Is it nice to live there? Looking for 3 bedrooms apartment or townhouse (furnished or not). What area are the best? Can you suggest some places (maybe residence with pool)? Also I am wondering how is the weather like? Is it more like San Francisco or more like Palo Alto?
Many thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 10:28 AM

297 posts, read 766,702 times
Both Foster city and Redwood shores are fine and comparable to Belmont and San carlos. Both are on engineered landfill, so could potentially be more dangerous during a big earthquake. Also, Foster city does get some airplane noise, and possibly redwood shores does as well. The biggest inconvenience of both towns are that they are somewhat cut off from other areas and only have a couple of roads to get out of them, which do back up during commute times. Foster city itself has a few shops and restaurants, and a couple grocery stores, but redwood shores only has one grocery store and fewer shops and restaurants, its a little more inconvenient.

Both i believe are very safe and have good schools/family friendly, weather is similar to palo alto, maybe a couple degrees cooler, but doesn't get the fog like San Francisco.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:30 PM

Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate!

Old 11-26-2013, 12:48 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
I don't know about rent begin cheaper in RWS/FC than in SC/Belmont (I would guess the opposite) but aside from thecooler's assessment above, for the most part, the apartments in FC/RWS tend to be a bit more modern than in SC/Belmont.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:44 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,277 times
I would guess the opposite with regards to rent, since when I lived there rent in Foster City, and especially Redwood Shores was 100-$400/mo more than Belmont, part of why I lived in Belmont. As others have said it is engineered land fill, the other thing is the feel of the neighborhoods, Redwood Shores in particular will probably be newer than Belmont or San Carlos. Foster City is very much a master planned 1960/1970s style suburb on the other hand. While Belmont and San Carlos are older suburbs than that. San Carlos has an actual downtown, which is something you might like or maybe not depending on your tastes, it is close to some parts of Redwood Shores, but other areas will take a while to get to. In both Foster City and Redwood Shores you will likely be not far from the water, in either a lagoon, or the wetlands around the bay.

Foster City has no high school and the kids all go to San Mateo schools. For Redwood Shores I think they go to Carlmont HS.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 AM

Thanks a lot! So I guess we will go to San Carlos or Belmont. I need an Elementary school and middle one no hight school yet. Many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland