Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 02:57 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,553,690 times

Advertisements

So I've only been in the Bay Area for about 4 months now. So far, it's not so bad, as far as people are concerned. When I first moved here I stayed with my cousin out in East Bay, and went through Oakland a lot. People there were pretty down to earth and cool. I then moved to South Bay/Silicon Valley. For the most part, people down here are pretty friendly. You get your occasional shortness from people, but that's expected in a big city. but I never spent much time in San Francisco (besides passing through it) until last week. I got a week off for Thanksgiving, and I decided to take that time to see San Francisco. Boy, did I not like what I saw.

Sure you have your homeless people, and your congested traffic, but I've been a city guy for awhile. That stuff really doesn't bother me like it does some people. But one thing that annoys me to no end, is snobbery. I'm a black guy, and when I was in San Fran, I would ask people for directions. They kind of look at me with their big nose, and straight up look pissed that I'm asking them for direction in a city that's as confusing as San Francisco is. It's almost like everyone has a big attitude. Now I've been to rude cities, and people who are rude won't even acknowledge you. IF they don't want to talk to you, they won't even bother. I'm cool with that. It's the people who engage you, but kind of talk in a condescending and smug tone.

I go to a resturaunt -arrogance
I go to starbucks - arrogance
I walk past someone and say "excuse me" arrogance
Ask "how do I get to such and such" arrogance
Ask where is the nearest ATM arrogance

People in San Francisco appear to be completely stuck up. It's a much different vibe than NYC, where people are busy, but fairly grounded for the most part. There is a sense of smugness. But it's one thing to bash it, I'm more interested in where it actually comes from. San Francisco is a VERY nice and photo genic city, but there are BETTER looking cities out there. Do they simply believe they live in the best looking city? Like I'm not really understanding where the attitude is coming from. Could someone clue me in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 PM

23,271 posts, read 23,633,734 times
If you think SF is bad, have you ever visited LA?

SF is friendly by comparison.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:17 PM

9,030 posts, read 10,414,975 times
My theory is that SF infects many who live here with a compulsive desire to be "interesting" in some way. Consequently, a lot of people seem to think that their entire lives are works of performance art. For example, doing yoga (and only at the "right" yoga studios) isn't so much about the yoga, it's about *being seen* doing yoga. It's the same impulse that causes people in the hilliest city in the US to ride absurdly inappropriate fixie bikes.

So when you interrupt their ongoing performance of "My Life, A Play In 58,982 Exquisitely Curated Acts, All Documented On Instagram" with your petty and boring demands for information or common courtesy, of course they're going to be cranky.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:23 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,981,244 times
I think it is a cultural thing. People do give off a smug or snobby vibe in SF, but I think a lot of times they don't even realize it. I think there has always been a presence of that vibe there. I am not sure why that is but maybe the environment and scenic surroundings bring that out in people. I think most of the time it is harmless and they don't even know they are doing it, but it can get really annoying.

Have you seen those Geico billboards around SF? The yellow billboards say "San Francisco Savings" and has the Geico gecko's face looking a little upwards, a little self-satisfied and with a somewhat smug smile. I think the ad agency picked up on that about SF because that is a classic San Francisco look! A guy with a handsome clean face, wind blown hair as if he just got back from yachting in the bay, a bit preppy looking, and looking upwards toward the sky with a smug smile. Haha. I just see it as adorable and a quirk of the city folk but of course would like to limit my interaction with those types because it can get tiresome after awhile.

Oddly, just across the bay, Oakland is like the complete opposite of that. I have never met so many down to earth, grounded people in one place in my life!

Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 PM

102,059 posts, read 106,870,458 times
I'm sorry all that happened to you, OP. I'm not that way at all when I'm in SF. The few friends of mine who still live there, barely maintaining a toehold in the City, aren't like that. But I guess they're from a bygone era. It didn't used to be like that. SF used to be, in part, a city of jazz musicians, poets, and working-class types. I guess a lot of 'em are in Oakland now.

Where did most of this happen, downtown? Get out into the neighborhoods. You should notice a difference, depending on the neighborhood.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:12 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,386,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
My theory is that SF infects many who live here with a compulsive desire to be "interesting" in some way. Consequently, a lot of people seem to think that their entire lives are works of performance art. For example, doing yoga (and only at the "right" yoga studios) isn't so much about the yoga, it's about *being seen* doing yoga. It's the same impulse that causes people in the hilliest city in the US to ride absurdly inappropriate fixie bikes.

So when you interrupt their ongoing performance of "My Life, A Play In 58,982 Exquisitely Curated Acts, All Documented On Instagram" with your petty and boring demands for information or common courtesy, of course they're going to be cranky.
lol... there is some validity to this.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:27 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,169,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I go to a resturaunt -arrogance
I go to starbucks - arrogance
I walk past someone and say "excuse me" arrogance
Ask "how do I get to such and such" arrogance
Ask where is the nearest ATM arrogance
I flat out don't buy it. I work in a very touristy district and I've been approached with questions and seen plenty of other locals got asked questions and I never seen anything close to what you described.

When I first moved to the city, my absent minded brain caused me to left my ATM card at the machine and this guy who was behind me ran after me for two blocks to return my card. I've seen pedestrian who stopped and help a truck driver parallel park a tight space. I've seen plenty of rudeness and craziness for sure, there also a lot of kindness. SF is not that different from other cities, I just don't buy than it's any more rude that others. Maybe you just have bad luck with people.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:32 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,553,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I flat out don't buy it. I work in a very touristy district and I've been approached with questions and seen plenty of other locals got asked questions and I never seen anything close to what you described.

When I first moved to the city, my absent minded brain caused me to left my ATM card at the machine and this guy who was behind me ran after me for two blocks to return my card. I've seen pedestrian who stopped and help a truck driver parallel park a tight space. I've seen plenty of rudeness and craziness for sure, there also a lot of kindness. SF is not that different from other cities, I just don't buy than it's any more rude that others. Maybe you just have bad luck with people.

I never said it was rude, I said it was snobby. I don't see them as one in the same. NY, DC, Atlanta are RUDE. San Francisco just seems snobby and stuck up.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:42 PM

28 posts, read 207,073 times
no

Old 12-04-2013, 05:17 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,768,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I got a week off for Thanksgiving, and I decided to take that time to see San Francisco. Boy, did I not like what I saw.
Maybe everybody was stressed out after being around the family during the holiday. Weather gets colder right around then, too. Might have different results at a more normal time of year (maybe you ran into locals who had their fill of tourists during that week).

You didn't say "Frisco" to any of them, did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland