Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 03:57 AM

258 posts, read 230,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
You can find great Mexican Food in SF as well, since Mexican Food is so terrible on the East Coast, I usually like to feast on Authentic Mexican Food when in California. I like Colibri
That's arguable. I've had both and Boston Mexican food wasn't bad at all. What surprised me the most is that jalapeno peppers are noticeably hotter on the East Coast! At least that's true of the 2 burrito places I've been to in SF so far. Also, sushi is cheaper here in right places but East Coast sushi tasted better to me.

All-in-all, food in SF isn't bad but it's hard to compare to NYC which is far larger and more diverse. SF food can be had cheaper in some cases though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:50 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Ruth, how far is the Avenue of the Giants, BTW? I'm a Bay Area native but never been north of Mendocino, and I didn't think it was half as beautiful as Carmel or Pebble Beach, so I've never gone beyond that. Also, are there good places to spend the night if you're not into camping? I imagine it's not something you can do as a day trip.
It's about 4 hours north of SF.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:05 PM

675 posts, read 1,190,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
That's arguable. I've had both and Boston Mexican food wasn't bad at all. What surprised me the most is that jalapeno peppers are noticeably hotter on the East Coast! At least that's true of the 2 burrito places I've been to in SF so far. Also, sushi is cheaper here in right places but East Coast sushi tasted better to me.

All-in-all, food in SF isn't bad but it's hard to compare to NYC which is far larger and more diverse. SF food can be had cheaper in some cases though.
I think I posted this once before, NY won the award for best city for food for like 19 years in a row from 1979 to 1998 from Zagat's. In 1999, when I was moving the SF, Zagat called it a tie between NY and SF, so SF is usually in every food guide's top 10 (sometimes top 5 !!). I've been lucky enough to have lived in both and tasted some amazing food.

If you don't mind, do you remember the name of the Boston Mexican restaurant ? I go to Boston twice a year and would like to try it. I'm going to Anaheim in a month, so I'll get my fill of California Mexican Food for a while.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:42 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
I'm not from either coast, but I've visited both many times. Here's my take. The NE is much more of a city destination. Go there for the excitement of the crowds, museums, restaurants, big buildings, etc. West Coast is much more of a relaxed experience, and, for me anyway, is much more about natural experiences. Nearby National Parks, ocean views, wine country, and amazing weather for all of it! SF is an interesting enough town, but other than for the spectacular scenery, I don't think I would keep coming back. It doesn't have the energy of New York or Chicago. But, honesty, I'd rather visit the Bay. I can't get enough of outdoors out there!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:52 AM

313 posts, read 496,989 times
I'm from Boston and I fell in love with the bay area on my first visit! I moved here a few months later, and I've been living in Oakland for 7 years and working in San Francisco.

It's hard to say where to visit or the best places to go, because even after living here for 7 years I discover new amazing and beautiful places constantly! Definitely start with the standard tourist attractions for your first visit, in my opinion. Just enjoy the beauty of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland