Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 06:45 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,559,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I work for a tech company in eville. Yes most techies are totally obnoxious, closet republicans, from back east, with parents who live backeast.

And the problem with this is....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 06:54 PM

30,860 posts, read 36,779,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Tech guys are usually the less flaunty than most people in similar paying professions... Usually they dress like nerds who could pass off as making less than $35k.
^^This is absolutely true^^

I know several engineers and they are frugal/saver types and tend not to do dumb stuff with money (unlike a lot of doctors and lawyers). The personal finance blogosphere is totally dominated by engineers who are often able to retire early because they consistently save and invest 30, 40, 50% or more of their incomes...which is usually not the case for folks in other high paying professions.

Of course, if they spend a lot of money, then they get dinged for that. If they save and invest it then, they're greedy/dull/boring for doing that. Can't win.

Quote:
According to you, if you work in tech and aren't willing to listen to your neighbors talk crap about you, then you should be forced to move to a gated suburb?

WOW...

This is the Bay Area... if you don't like tech, then you should move somewhere else. If you don't approve of homosexuality, don't live in the Bay Area. It's like saying, well if you don't want to be attacked for your sexual orientation than go move to a gated suburb. Crazy.

God help America lol
Once again, the Bay Area just proves it's not nearly as tolerant as it says it is.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:58 PM

30,860 posts, read 36,779,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Go back and actually re-read my comment, word for word. Try sounding out the words if they are difficult. Eventually, if you try hard enough, I think you might be able to get it.

And while you're at it, try reading the actual article. It brings up a number of salient points.
I think the "gated community" comment was over the top and out of line and probably is the true indicator of how you really feel.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:17 PM

24,330 posts, read 26,743,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
And the problem with this is....?
I guess to some people its okay to discriminate and stereotype people based on where they come from... as long as it isn't race, sex, sexual orientation etc lol. It's quite ridiculous

Old 12-15-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think the "gated community" comment was over the top and out of line and probably is the true indicator of how you really feel.
Yep, to me it's the same crap as someone telling homosexuals they should move out to a gated homosexual community if they don't want their neighbors to verbally bash them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
^^This is absolutely true^^

I know several engineers and they are frugal/saver types and tend not to do dumb stuff with money (unlike a lot of doctors and lawyers). The personal finance blogosphere is totally dominated by engineers who are often able to retire early because they consistently save and invest 30, 40, 50% or more of their incomes...which is usually not the case for folks in other high paying professions.

Of course, if they spend a lot of money, then they get dinged for that. If they save and invest it then, they're greedy/dull/boring for doing that. Can't win.

Once again, the Bay Area just proves it's not nearly as tolerant as it says it is.
Many of my neighbors work in tech and they are always pleasant with me. We have small chit chat about the niners when we cross paths etc. They aren't flashy or obnoxious(less than the average person I would say). More than half my friends work in tech and once again they are not judgmental or abnormal.

Luckily, the majority of the people I meet in San Francisco are nothing like many of the people on this forum. I mean come on, you get attacked spending $6 on toast and coffee. Most of these people seem to be from Oakland, which explains a lot why the city is in such bad shape and crime is out of control. The mentality is to attack anyone or any company that works hard and is successful.

That's why I said before I need to give myself a reality check because after coming on the forums I feel like this area has the most judgmental, discriminating people in the country. Luckiliy, it isn't reality from my experience in San Francisco.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:19 PM

578 posts, read 1,290,405 times
Quote:
I mean come on, you get attacked spending $6 on toast and coffee. Most of these people seem to be from Oakland, which explains a lot why the city is in such bad shape and crime is out of control. The mentality is to attack anyone or any company that works hard and is successful.
Attacked? Oh please.

As someone who actually works in tech, it's pretty true. You have the ones who will spend $$$ on clothes, or you will have ones that will spend $$$ on other things such as overpriced food or a car that's out of their limit. Of course, not everyone is like that, but it is an image issue for the industry.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,723,096 times
Quote:

Luckily, the majority of the people I meet in San Francisco are nothing like many of the people on this forum. I mean come on, you get attacked spending $6 on toast and coffee. Most of these people seem to be from Oakland, which explains a lot why the city is in such bad shape and crime is out of control. The mentality is to attack anyone or any company that works hard and is successful.

That's why I said before I need to give myself a reality check because after coming on the forums I feel like this area has the most judgmental, discriminating people in the country. Luckiliy, it isn't reality from my experience in San Francisco.
What the heck? You feel like you are being attacked for being successful, and that people who live in Oakland don't work hard because not everyone can pay $6 for toast? That sounds a lot like the judge mental attitude you are accusing other people of having.

I work in tech, and I am doing pretty well. There are a lot of people who look like me who didn't happen to hit the parent lottery. I did, and I had an opportunity to focus on studying and was pressured by parents who were super involved in my education and success growing up. You did too. So count your blessings. Not everyone has it so lucky.

Unfortunately, the current SF culture rewards people who start off advantaged and assumes everyone else is last because they weren't able to find those mythical bootstraps.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 AM

6,402 posts, read 8,234,416 times
Quote:
Yep, to me it's the same crap as someone telling homosexuals they should move out to a gated homosexual community if they don't want their neighbors to verbally bash them.

Many of my neighbors work in tech and they are always pleasant with me. We have small chit chat about the niners when we cross paths etc. They aren't flashy or obnoxious(less than the average person I would say). More than half my friends work in tech and once again they are not judgmental or abnormal.

Not sure why you keep harping on the gay thing (note: homosexual has a pretty negative connotation and 'gay' or '*****' is the least offensive term you should use to describe an entire group of people who happen to share the same sexual orientation). I'm gay and I DID move from North Carolina to California because I was sick and tired of the homophobia and backwards attitudes. If the Bay Area suddenly became a place where people were outwardly hostile/homophobic, I can guarantee you I'd hightail it out of here as fast as I could. And equivocating wealthy tech-workers with gay people (note: one group CHOOSES their profession, the other is BORN with a sexual orientation) is a pretty dumb analogy. Also, suggesting that tech workers who make 80k+ a year and live in San Francisco are experiencing the same type of oppression gay people have is also pretty ridiculous.

I also love how you stereotype people on this board as lazy/jealous/crime loving Oakland residents whenever anyone happens to disagree with your views. I think you really need to get out of your privileged bubble and meet people from different walks of life. Perhaps you wouldn't fly off the handle and get so bent out of shape when other people have a perspective that's different than yours.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:17 AM

Listen oakland, I don't like it when people discriminate against people period! I dont give a ____ if it's because of their job, race, sex or whatever. For you to say, well I can discriminate against tech workers, but you better not say anything about me being gay is ridiculous. You can't be like its a crime being a tech worker, "oh well they chose that career" and I didn't choose to be gay. My personal opinion is everything is choice and it doesn't matter because people should respect other people's choices as ling as their choices aren't hurting others directly. When so many people have such extreme views, it makes people on the other side come out extreme too (myself in this case). Many of these tech people were not born into wealth. Once again, $100k is not wealthy in SF, but regardless they worked hard and studied hard to get to where they are. Becoming a software engineer isn't something your rich dad can set up and get you a job like being a sales manager for example. You need to have worked hard because programming is essentially another language.

Anyways, anyone who will openly discriminate people based on their job will get absolutely not pity from me on being discriminated because of their sexual preference etc. If you really did move here because you were bashed at home, then you of all people should not be bashing others, unless it's like the abused child sydrome.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:27 AM

6,402 posts, read 8,234,416 times
Nope. Sorry, but being gay isn't a choice. I don't care if you 'believe everything in life is a choice', because the scientific/medical community and Supreme Court have determined otherwise.

And where have I openly discriminated against anyone or said that it's OK? All I said was that I can see why 'working class' people are irritated by obnoxious techies and that techies shouldn't be surprised. I see BOTH sides of this complicated issue while you're the one that's denying there's even a problem. I don't even live in SF, so I'm not surrounded by them on a daily basis. I'm sure lots of my neighbors in JLS are tech workers and I have zero problem with them as long as they are polite and nice. It's not like I go up to every person and ask them if they work in tech so I can be a jerk to them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland