Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:14 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't want the park to be seen as some big huge savior. I am only in support if investors pay, I don't want another PSL fiasco......

But right now al the talk is around the potential park, and nothing else about what is planned in the surrounding area. The only time Howard Terminal is discussed is when they want a sports team there. I am skeptical for both Coliseum City and Howard Terminal, as it only seems like discussions are around stadiums.
Well I would more use "catalyst" rather than "savior" as the area is already improving overall. Generally these type of ballparks are developed and planned independently from any new residential or commercial development in the area so I'm not sure why you would expect that to be part of the stadium plan. Unlike the coliseum this area has many different property owners that could choose to redevelop their property as opposed to one big massive redevelopment. A lot of what's around AT&T and Petco were not part of any stadium plan. Once the stadium is approved I'm sure various redevelopment projects would be proposed. Pretty sure Coliseum City had a ton of other redevelopment stuff included in the plans too as the renderings show that .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 05:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well I would more use "catalyst" rather than "savior" as the area is already improving overall. Generally these type of ballparks are developed and planned independently from any new residential or commercial development in the area so I'm not sure why you would expect that to be part of the stadium plan. Unlike the coliseum this area has many different property owners that could choose to redevelop their property as opposed to one big massive redevelopment. A lot of what's around AT&T and Petco were not part of any stadium plan. Once the stadium is approved I'm sure various redevelopment projects would be proposed. Pretty sure Coliseum City had a ton of other redevelopment stuff included in the plans too as the renderings show that .

I'd like to see more of the plan. Right now it feels like we are hanging our hats on this park before bothering to look at the plan. Let's be honest, I haven't seen any talk of any sort of development in this area besides the park.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'd like to see more of the plan. Right now it feels like we are hanging our hats on this park before bothering to look at the plan. Let's be honest, I haven't seen any talk of any sort of development in this area besides the park.
Probably because there isn't currently any reason to redevelop parcels immediately adjacent to Howard Terminal. A ballpark clearly gives a reason.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:48 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy88 View Post
No, MLB is rejecting Lew Wolff because of the Giants' territorial rights to the South Bay; NOT because they have an affinity for the City of Oakland or disdain for the City of San Jose.
Actually, MLB prefers the Howard Terminal site over Coliseum City.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:21 AM

181 posts, read 319,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Actually, MLB prefers the Howard Terminal site over Coliseum City.
....which has nothing to do with why the A's are not in San Jose. And while you're right, MLB (or more accurately, their "Blue Ribbon Committee") does prefer Howard Terminal over the Coliseum City site, that still doesn't mean they favor Oakland over SJ. It just means they favor the Giants over the A's (which is why the Giants' territorial rights remain in effect).

Old 12-31-2013, 07:37 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
....which has nothing to do with why the A's are not in San Jose. And while you're right, MLB (or more accurately, their "Blue Ribbon Committee") does prefer Howard Terminal over the Coliseum City site
And quite frankly Howard Terminal from the standpoint of ambience and the potential to be iconic and a destination, is better than any location in San Jose imo.

Quote:
that still doesn't mean they favor Oakland over SJ. It just means they favor the Giants over the A's (which is why the Giants' territorial rights remain in effect).
This^ is pure speculation on your part. We don't know the intricacies of MLBs decision at all, only that they were not satisfied with the proposal to move the team to SJ. And that this was Selig's 'final decision' on that proposal.

Perhaps the BRC did their due diligence and came to the conclusion that much of Lew Wolff's claims have been bogus all along. I dunno. But then, neither do you.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And quite frankly Howard Terminal from the standpoint of ambience and the potential to be iconic and a destination, is better than any location in San Jose imo.
Yes, in your opinion. As a native Oaklander, I think it's a great location too, but some of us don't let "ambience" overtake rationality, which is why I have many reservations about the viability of the Howard Terminal site.

Quote:
I dunno. But then, neither do you.
LOL, I think I've proven I know WAY more about this than you. While you get excited every time a news article is released with the most minute hint that Lew Wolff may possibly be interested in Oakland, I question everything about a guy who would've left Oakland years ago if he could've.

Oh, and you're welcome! I revived your once very dead thread....

Old 12-31-2013, 03:13 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Yes, in your opinion.
Yes, I am very happy to state my opinion as my opinion, not as fact or 'truth'(LOL) like you.

Quote:
As a native Oaklander
Who cares? You repeat this so much I don't really believe it but play along because your amusing.

Quote:
I think it's a great location too, but some of us don't let "ambience" overtake rationality, which is why I have many reservations about the viability of the Howard Terminal site.
Well, there are people with much deeper pockets than the depths of your rationality who have publically expressed their desire to spend $500 Million to build a baseball stadium at Howard Terminal.

You keep pretending like no one is willing to put up money for HT. In fact, Don Knauss already said so, publically.

So, anything else on this or are you clear?

Quote:
LOL, I think I've proven I know WAY more about this than you.
Actually you haven't really proven anything except you appear to have some sort of chip on your shoulder, and really you know NOTHING more than what news articles have stated-except you add your own speculation, which is your prerogative, have at it, but no one else has to go along. fyi.

Quote:
While you get excited every time a news article is released with the most minute hint that Lew Wolff may possibly be interested in Oakland, I question everything about a guy who would've left Oakland years ago if he could've.
Yes, and he's still here because Major League Baseball rejected his plan to move the team. Sorry that appears to have upset you so.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Who cares? You repeat this so much I don't really believe it but play along because your amusing.
Who cares what you believe? I know I'm from Oakland and probably know more about the city than you. There must be something real sour in the air up in Montclair. LOL!

Quote:
Well, there are people with much deeper pockets than the depths of your rationality who have publically expressed their desire to spend $500 Million to build a baseball stadium at Howard Terminal.
HAHA! Too bad those "people" don't own the A's, nor have the attention or dedication of the actual owners. LOL!

Quote:
You keep pretending like no one is willing to put up money for HT. In fact, Don Knauss already said so, publically.

So, anything else on this or are you clear?
Then why isn't Don Knauss getting the site cleaned and prepared and ballpark ready then? Oh yeah, because his $500 million can't be put to use without the participation of Oakland A's ownership.

Seriously, that's like me pointing out a house located in Emeryville to a potential buyer who wants a house in San Leandro and saying: "even though you have no interest in this Emeryville house, I have $600,000 to pay for this house because I think it's better than the one in San Leandro, even though you've already said you preferred San Leandro over Emeryville, and have given me reasons why Emeryville doesn't work." Don Knauss may prefer Howard Terminal, but if Wolff & Co. keep saying "no, thanks", what exactly can Don Knauss do?

Contrary to what you may believe, I'm actually an avid A's fan who grew up going to dozens of games every season at the Coliseum. No one is in favor of the A's staying in Oakland more than I am. I just happen to be smart enough to know that it takes A LOT more than saying "here is a (potential) ballpark site; here is $500 million. Now build, build, build!" without first acknowledging all the challenges and environmental hurdles (which I've mentioned in previous posts) that will need to be taken care of before HT can be considered legit.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:36 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
While I'm certainly not in favor of taxpayers getting screwed like they were after the Raiders' return (or more recently, down in Miami), there would be a civic benefit to a "Clorox Field" at HT. JLS has been a prime destination for years, with nothing more to show for it than a cineplex, Yoshi's and a couple old-school waterfront restaurants. An A's ballpark would reinvigorate the waterfront area with sports bars, memorabilia shops, more restaurants, etc which would make it a year-round destination. And let's not kid ourselves into thinking it will magically happen on its own just because other Oakland neighborhoods are improving...right now, it's Baltimore's Inner Harbor circa 1980s at best.
Lew Wolff is getting up there in age, and he can only take this San Jose fight so far. Does he have an heir who has an interest in carrying the torch for another decade while the team rots in the Coliseum? Or will he and Fischer sell to an interested party who may have the means to get it done in the A's hometown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland