Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,899 times

Advertisements

My husband, infant and I are moving from Seattle to the Bay Area for husband's job at Google.

I LOVE living downtown Seattle now b/c it's safe, walkable for my errands/general needs, has enough personality and commerce/f&b joints that serve as a distraction. Seattle is like a lively and safe suburb to me - and I'm looking for something similar in the bay area.

Priorities in choosing a rental:
-Walkable for my errands/general needs (I will have an infant in tote)
-Social - we are in our mid 30s and will know NO one. Since I will be at home for at least 1 year, I will be v. interested to meet other people - married, families, what ever - and to be distracted with parks, commerce, etc.
-Rents ~$3,500K
-A place that minimizes the suburb feel (I grew up in Chicago burbs, and something like that would be a wee too suburban for me at this point). I realize that Mtn View has a 'burb feel to it, but it seems some prior urban dwellers have liked living there.

We will consider the Google shuttle route in our rental decision, but for now, I'm just trying to familiarize myself with the top areas that most resemble a lively suburb (living in the city is too $$).

Thank you in advance for your time and any input you have! I've read other posts, but thought I'd post this very specific one (i.e., looking for the SEA look - not politics, people, etc. - in SF area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 01:29 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
First think to note is that Mt. View is closer to San Jose than SF, so it would be good to post there as well.

I am not sure what you're looking for a 2bd? Infant gets his own room you use a corner of the living room to put a desk? No den?

Sounds like you already decided that Mountain View is too suburban for you. Unfortunately it doesn't get that much less suburban than that until you get to SF. San Mateo might be a choice, your budget might allow for Palo Alto too, and that would be a much shorter commute, though it might not work if you don't like the upscale feel of Palo Alto. The only other place with a significant downtown is San Jose, though the commute from downtown San Jose to Mountain View can be a chore during peak hours these days, 20 minutes off peak.

San Jose would certainly be the most affordable of the 3 I mentioned. Personally I really liked downtown San Mateo when I lived nearby.

But I think based on what you're looking for, short of SF, Oakland or Berkeley you may not be happy.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:02 PM

102 posts, read 170,175 times
I also lived in Seattle, in the Capitol Hill area, and really liked it. It also reminds me of a lively, safe suburb, more like Berkeley than downtown SF. You could try some of the neighborhoods in SF outside of downtown, like Noe Valley, which are cleaner, safer, and have their own local shopping districts. You won't be able to walk to everything necessarily, but you will be close. I imagine your husband could take the Google bus to work.

On the Peninsula, the San Mateo area would be the closest match. San Mateo is roughly the size of Berkeley and about as densely populated. It has the largest downtown on the Peninsula, with Burlingame's downtown a couple of miles away. Your husband could take CalTrain to work from these cities or drive. I'd look into Palo Alto also. It is definitely more suburban but still very active as Stanford is right there. The Peninsula, in general, is not your typical suburbia. My feeling is you will like it.

Berkeley would be a very good match, like the Elmwood area, but the commute would not be fun for your husband.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:47 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,047 times
I agree with the above sentiment regarding San Mateo, Palo Alto, San Jose, and SF. However, I would like to note that Google buses do serve Oakland and Berkeley. I see a bus at North Berkeley BART Station on a regular basis, for example. Nonetheless, it's a long drive from Berkeley to Mountain View and I'm not sure your husband would be a big fan unless he can count his on-board work time towards his total work day. In this case, San Mateo may be your best bet, although you'll probably find it a little too sleepy. I've lived in Berkeley for more than 5 years, and if I had to move back to Silicon Valley, San Mateo might be the only town I could stomach.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I would suggest you start off living in Mountain View. Commuting is just such a pain, and you'd have so much more time to play instead of commute. Then get to know the areas and move again later, if you're not happy in Mtn View.

I personally like Mtn View. But, I'm not familiar with San Mateo. I used to live in Santa Clara, and would enjoy going to downtown Mtn View once in awhile to just walk around, go to the bookstore, eat, etc.

Congrats on the job!

Old 12-21-2013, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,899 times
Thank you everyone for these great responses!! Appreciate the hospitality

Old 12-21-2013, 09:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Try downtown San Mateo. I just started working there recently. There are lots of apartments nearby and it is pretty well amenitied right downtown. Lots of restaurants, some shops and groceries too. Walgreens, a couple of gyms, a park and tea garden,and I haven't ventured more than a 1/2 mile walk from work.

The only thing is the downtown grocery store in the center is an expensive one, but ther is a Safeway about a mile away, trader joes around 1.25 and whole foods about 3.

It is like Japanese restaurant central, but otherwise the choices are pretty diverse. And you could hop on the Caltrain or take 280. I also noticed there is plenty of bike parking.

Prices are ok for that side of the bay.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:10 AM

243 posts, read 467,420 times
Berkeley does feel like Seattle, yet still somewhat more suburban.Neighboring Albany is walkable, cheaper and safer than Berkeley yet a bit more suburban or small town.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Living in Berkeley or Oakland and commuting to MV would sign you up for a 90-120 minute commute each way, unless you got to work at 6a. San Mateo or Redwood City is about as far as you want to commute to from Oakland. It takes me 45-60 minutes each way, and that is my upper mental limit.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:57 AM

7 posts, read 12,416 times
Los Gatos is a nice community. it's just before you get into the Santa Cruz Mountains. there's light rail, for commuting, though I don't know if it extends into mountain view/google campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland