Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 04:54 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times

Advertisements

Tech buses blocked, vandalized in protests - SFGate Blog

Ok, this is getting absurd. San Francisco is becoming a city where you are welcome if you are on drugs, have no income, no intention to work and just want to chill. But if you are working hard, paying taxes and keeping to yourself, you are vilified. Seriously, when did it become bad to be successful?

The vast majority of the homeless AND these protesters are not local, either. But no one is against them. In fact, they are being welcome. But professionals, who cause no harm to anyone and just want to work hard and make a life here are being assaulted.

This is just so insane. And Tom Amiano is the favorite to become the next mayor. Seriously, WHAT is happening to this city?

If Tech leaves, a lot of the service jobs that are supported by it, would leave, too.

And what industry is exactly welcome in San Francisco? Construction isn't. NIMBYs complain. Tour buses? NIMBYs complain. Manufacturing? Hell naw. Wall St? HEEEEEL NAW.

So what kind of professionals are exactly welcome in San Francisco? I guess these "progressives" won't rest until San Francisco looks like the bad parts of its across-the-bay cousin. Then it would be truly affordable.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:02 PM

471 posts, read 600,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Tech buses blocked, vandalized in protests - SFGate Blog

Ok, this is getting absurd. San Francisco is becoming a city where you are welcome if you are on drugs, have no income, no intention to work and just want to chill. But if you are working hard, paying taxes and keeping to yourself, you are vilified. Seriously, when did it become bad to be successful?

The vast majority of the homeless AND these protesters are not local, either. But no one is against them. In fact, they are being welcome. But professionals, who cause no harm to anyone and just want to work hard and make a life here are being assaulted.

This is just so insane. And Tom Amiano is the favorite to become the next mayor. Seriously, WHAT is happening to this city?

If Tech leaves, a lot of the service jobs that are supported by it, would leave, too.

And what industry is exactly welcome in San Francisco? Construction isn't. NIMBYs complain. Tour buses? NIMBYs complain. Manufacturing? Hell naw. Wall St? HEEEEEL NAW.

So what kind of professionals are exactly welcome in San Francisco? I guess these "progressives" won't rest until San Francisco looks like the bad parts of its across-the-bay cousin. Then it would be truly affordable.
It's not the techies business, it is the unbridled arrogance that they are displaying in the city. They are acting like they are better than anyone else and treating others like dirt. That is why there is the protest.

Someone coming in and buying up the land from underneath you, looking down, insulting you, and treading like they are the most important beings on planet earth does nothing to improve a community or society at large. They are simply experiencing the blow-back of their bad behavior.

Old money understands there is an immense social obligation and shameless flaunting of wealth in the face of the less fortunate combined with unbridled arrogance is a recipe for mayhem. Thus you are seeing the reaction in SF.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
It's not the techies business, it is the unbridled arrogance that they are displaying in the city. They are acting like they are better than anyone else and treating others like dirt. That is why there is the protest.

Someone coming in and buying up the land from underneath you, looking down, insulting you, and treading like they are the most important beings on planet earth does nothing to improve a community or society at large. They are simply experiencing the blow-back of their bad behavior.

Old money understands there is an immense social obligation and shameless flaunting of wealth in the face of the less fortunate combined with unbridled arrogance is a recipe for mayhem. Thus you are seeing the reaction in SF.
I literally have not spoken to any techie outside my 2 friends. Nor have I seen any techies insulting people, looking down on them etc. Yes, one drunk CEO went on a rant. And...

I am willing to bet you that most techies are completely normal people. Have you ever given them a chance?

Old 12-20-2013, 05:27 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:

Nice trolling there. I've been in the tech field for 15 years, some of the most down the earth people you'll ever meet.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:30 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
They are acting like they are better than anyone else and treating others like dirt.
Oh please. If they ever figured out a way to earn $250,000 a year from interpretive dance, or graffiti "art," or tattooing, or DJing, or selling stuff on Etsy, then you can believe those creatives would be just as insufferable as they claim the techies are now. Probably more, in fact.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:34 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Yep, it's getting quite ridiculous!

First they protest Walmart because of poor wages and benefits.

Now they protest Google because of great wages and benefits.

Next thing you know, they will start rioting when a police officer uses deadly force to stop a wacko waving a gun in the air high on crack.

---

I'll work 2-3 more years here to save up some extra cash and wait for my condo's value to go up a bit higher (already up around 60% as of today) and then I'll sell it and move to Florida. I was thinking about keeping it and renting it out, but the social landscape of the Bay Area is starting to worry me. More California businesses are moving to Texas and while most of Texas is hell on Earth (IMO), Austin is one city that is attracting tech and it's very lovely! A nice political mix of people, young people, bars, restaurants, nice homes, nice downtown area, and probably the most friendly people I've met at least in bars. Right now, it's a very small amount of people who simply hate the tech industry in San Francisco. However, if this number grows and tech guys start feeling discriminated against, I can see Google and Apple opening up places in other parts of the country way down the line. We'll see though.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yep, it's getting quite ridiculous!

First they protest Walmart because of poor wages and benefits.

Now they protest Google because of great wages and benefits.

Next thing you know, they will start rioting when a police officer uses deadly force to stop a wacko waving a gun in the air high on crack.

---

I'll work 2-3 more years here to save up some extra cash and wait for my condo's value to go up a bit higher (already up around 60% as of today) and then I'll sell it and move to Florida. I was thinking about keeping it and renting it out, but the social landscape of the Bay Area is starting to worry me. More California businesses are moving to Texas and while most of Texas is hell on Earth (IMO), Austin is one city that is attracting tech and it's very lovely! A nice political mix of people, young people, bars, restaurants, nice homes, nice downtown area, and probably the most friendly people I've met at least in bars. Right now, it's a very small amount of people who simply hate the tech industry in San Francisco. However, if this number grows and tech guys start feeling discriminated against, I can see Google and Apple opening up places in other parts of the country way down the line. We'll see though.
I hear you. I actually really hope to spend the rest of my life in CA and i LOVE San Francisco. But i was telling my wife that i wouldnt want to buy a house in the city. I think the political climate is toxic and i think there is a lot of pent up hatred towards success. Also, the fact that Amiano is the favorite to be the next mayor straight up scares me.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:19 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Paging Mr. Burris

Google has trampled these people's civil rights.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:25 PM

507 posts, read 917,597 times
No, I seriously doubt anything more than a fraction of those involved "hate success". But this is the inevitable outcome of the Bay Area's self-inflicted housing shortage. Workers have to live somewhere. Mostly, they want to live in San Francisco for the same reasons the protesters live in San Francisco.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:24 AM

243 posts, read 467,420 times
Protesters live in SF mostly for historical or circumstantial reasons; "techies" for the reasons of convenience of urban environment.
San Francisco has never been a cheap city and people were willing to put up with it; now it is becoming overcrowded and too expensive; the offset of extra jobs does not cover the rise in prices because of places like Concord, where many workers I assume live; they actually are who benefit, not the working class of San Francisco. So now, people who lived for long in the city itself are forced to move and pick up the tab of all this hassle; besides, smug and condescending attitude of "techies" adds to it.

Now speaking of "down to Earth" techies - some of them are and some are not; and this often reflected in their choices of the place to live: Fremont, San Jose, Milpitas, Santa Clara - yes, down to Earth; Cupertino, Los Gatos, Mountain View - less so; Palo Alto/Menlo Park - even less. Those who choose San Francisco are mostly exactly that nasty smug breed of "techies" (according to my personal observations).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland