Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

I love this! I'm going to try it. Thanks, very cool...I mean warm...

I thought about this thread this evening. I took the dog out for a walk here in downtown Redding, and was gagging from the smell of smoke lol! I love the smell of a wood fire, but everybody in town must be enjoying fires tonight. I don't have any kind of breathing problems, but I was kind of tearing up and it was uncomfortable breathing the air.

So, as much as I love a wood fire, tonight I understood the spare the air deal better. Somebody with asthma would not be able to walk around downtown Redding tonight without having problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:00 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I too have a problem with the blanket spare the air days.

It is just not warranted for those that have installed with a permit EPA clean burn wood stoves using well seasoned hardwood.

I've gone to the meetings and raised this question and was basically told yes, it is true there are very high efficiency wood stoves when fueled with the proper seasoned wood burn clean... the problem is enforcement and why should the enforcement problem that is administrative be the problem of stove owners that have done everything right?

Note that the US government has even given tax credits because wood burning is green, renewable and home grown energy.

My other issue is we can prove wood burning is not causing the high levels of particulates because these levels continue to increase when full fledged burn bans are in effect.

We have the proven technology to burn clean and the Air District does not want any part of it.

Plus... the CO is the same if the wood rots in the forest or is used for warmth...

Old 01-10-2014, 05:08 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Couldn't law enforcement detect obvious violators from air/ground recon, the same as they do for launch/shot site recon during 4th of July and NYE (ShotSpotter)?

East Palo Alto Hi-Tech Sensor Will Help Track Gunshots On New Year’s Eve « CBS San Francisco

Should be able to spot plumes of smoke billowing out of chimneys around town from air and ground bases, as opposed to almost nothing coming out of those that burn more efficiently (green). Seen the difference out of my own - it's possible to be looking through the door at a big, hot fire in the living room fireplace, and see absolutely nothing coming out of the chimney except heat waves.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:27 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Couldn't law enforcement detect obvious violators from air/ground recon, the same as they do for launch/shot site recon during 4th of July and NYE (ShotSpotter)?

East Palo Alto Hi-Tech Sensor Will Help Track Gunshots On New Year’s Eve « CBS San Francisco

Should be able to spot plumes of smoke billowing out of chimneys around town from air and ground bases, as opposed to almost nothing coming out of those that burn more efficiently (green). Seen the difference out of my own - it's possible to be looking through the door at a big, hot fire in the living room fireplace, and see absolutely nothing coming out of the chimney except heat waves.
I would think so... especially in the tech savy Bay Area.

If it was just about wood smoke emmisions... those with EPA certified stoves using seasoned hardwood are not the problem.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:05 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I wonder how many people here complaining don't drive on spare the air days during summer.
Winter like inversions aren't prevalent in the summer. Almost every afternoon the delta breeze kicks in and blows the pollutants into the hot Central Valley. As far as large metropolitan areas go the Bay Area is pretty good in that regard thanks to geography and micro-climates. In the winter the valley is colder, so if there are no storms blowing in on a regular basis the particulate matter tends to hang over where its created. Regardless how "tight" your home is you can't keep the fine particulates from getting in your house.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:30 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Winter like inversions aren't prevalent in the summer. Almost every afternoon the delta breeze kicks in and blows the pollutants into the hot Central Valley. As far as large metropolitan areas go the Bay Area is pretty good in that regard thanks to geography and micro-climates. In the winter the valley is colder, so if there are no storms blowing in on a regular basis the particulate matter tends to hang over where its created. Regardless how "tight" your home is you can't keep the fine particulates from getting in your house.
I never said they were as prevalent, but almost every year there are still Spare the Air Days in summer. I wonder what "sacrifices" people here complaining actually make during those days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland