Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 PM

202 posts, read 239,975 times

Advertisements

Yes, another one of *those* questions. Sorry! I'm a CA native, born in raised in Contra Costa County, specifically PH and Concord. We moved to the Charlotte, NC area in 2005 and have regretted it ever since. We haven't had the opportunity to move back until now. My husband has been on 2 interviews for a company and the position is east of East CoCo County. My family lives in Brentwood, so we've decided to live there, provided he's offered the job. The salary range was $90-95k. We have 3 kids, which includes my stepson, who is 19. But he'll most likely be moving out within a year. I can't work outside of the home anymore because of medical problems, but I'm planning on trying to find a work from home opportunity. Do you think if we really try hard we can make it financially? Our grocery bill tends to be high because my daughter and I have Celiac disease, so we have to eat a gluten free diet, which can be pretty expensive. I plan to shop farmer's markets 9 mos. out of the year, and do Costco, etc. the other 3 months. Thoughts? I'm desperate to make this work and not struggle in CA like we did before. We'd like to be able to take an occasional vacation, nothing fancy, just maybe Tahoe, camping or Disneyland once a year, occasional dinner out, entertainment, the occasional festival, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
I think your family will be fine on this income. Brentwood is a nice town and fairly affordable by Bay Area standards. The public schools there are supposed to quite good also. If you keep a good budget and plan meals/shopping trips/clothing for the kids wisely, then it's absolutely doable, imo.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1922 View Post
Yes, another one of *those* questions. Sorry! I'm a CA native, born in raised in Contra Costa County, specifically PH and Concord. We moved to the Charlotte, NC area in 2005 and have regretted it ever since. We haven't had the opportunity to move back until now. My husband has been on 2 interviews for a company and the position is east of East CoCo County. My family lives in Brentwood, so we've decided to live there, provided he's offered the job. The salary range was $90-95k. We have 3 kids, which includes my stepson, who is 19. But he'll most likely be moving out within a year. I can't work outside of the home anymore because of medical problems, but I'm planning on trying to find a work from home opportunity. Do you think if we really try hard we can make it financially? Our grocery bill tends to be high because my daughter and I have Celiac disease, so we have to eat a gluten free diet, which can be pretty expensive. I plan to shop farmer's markets 9 mos. out of the year, and do Costco, etc. the other 3 months. Thoughts? I'm desperate to make this work and not struggle in CA like we did before. We'd like to be able to take an occasional vacation, nothing fancy, just maybe Tahoe, camping or Disneyland once a year, occasional dinner out, entertainment, the occasional festival, etc. Thanks!

The only problem with "another one of *those* questions, is that I can't see your bank accounts or your checkbook or your credit report or all of your bills, etc.

I suggest you start by figuring out what your take-home pay will be. Then start deducting for your projected rent/mortgage payment, and other bills.

If you want to buy a home, talk to a realtor and lender to find out what you can afford.

If you are going to rent, look at what rents cost in Brentwood. Here's a search for 4 bedrooms in Brentwood on Craigslist:

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Your 19 year old may be moving out soon, but don't think he won't still be in the budget .

Just start playing with the numbers. You're lucky that large rentals in Brentwood look very affordable.

Good luck and welcome back!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:52 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
Luckily Brentwood is one of the more affordable parts of the Bay Area, so it doesn't seem like this will be too difficult with the right budgeting practices. However, do follow NMSFM's recommendation to do some preliminary budgeting, as only you will know what your expenses will be.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:07 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
OP-out of curiosity-why the regret of moving to Charlotte? Weather?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I was thinking about your gluten-free diet and how you might be able to do it more cheaply. I found these websites. Plus, you might want to start a thread in the Frugal Living forum and ask others how they do gluten-free more cheaply.

11 Tips To Eat Gluten-Free On The Cheap

How to Cut Gluten-Free Food Costs

By the way, in case you didn't know, we have these fantastic stores here called Grocery Outlet. They are kind of like a Ross Dress for Less for food. They get random lots of food and other items, and are priced at least 30% lower than regular prices at other stores. Often way less than that. My store here in Redding puts the gluten-free and organic foods on top of the freezer bins, normally. Anyway, check out these types of markets, too.

I always start out at Grocery Outlet if I'm shopping, then my next stop is the Food Maxx, then maybe Trader Joes, before I go somewhere like Whole Foods or Safeway.

Grocery Outlet - For Our Customers - Store Finder

FoodMaxx / Store & Pharmacy Locator

Trader Joe's

Old 01-16-2014, 10:44 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Personally, I think you can sort of adjust to the weather, but cultural differences are huge (I grew up in the Carolinas after being born here and my parents are from North and South).

Old 01-16-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Weather has a lot to do with it. Way too humid for my liking. Summers have been tough, not as oppressive as say, Mississippi, but bad enough. Bugs are downright scary out here! For an arachnophobe like me, it doesn't work! Not enough culture, still a lot of backwards thinking, and just too far and too different from home. There's nothing like the Bay Area!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I was thinking about your gluten-free diet and how you might be able to do it more cheaply. I found these websites. Plus, you might want to start a thread in the Frugal Living forum and ask others how they do gluten-free more cheaply.

11 Tips To Eat Gluten-Free On The Cheap

How to Cut Gluten-Free Food Costs

By the way, in case you didn't know, we have these fantastic stores here called Grocery Outlet. They are kind of like a Ross Dress for Less for food. They get random lots of food and other items, and are priced at least 30% lower than regular prices at other stores. Often way less than that. My store here in Redding puts the gluten-free and organic foods on top of the freezer bins, normally. Anyway, check out these types of markets, too.

I always start out at Grocery Outlet if I'm shopping, then my next stop is the Food Maxx, then maybe Trader Joes, before I go somewhere like Whole Foods or Safeway.

Grocery Outlet - For Our Customers - Store Finder

FoodMaxx / Store & Pharmacy Locator

Trader Joe's
Wow, thank you! Some great ideas!!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! Looks promising. We've got some numbers to play around with, so we'll get to it! Can't wait to get back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland