Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:34 AM

18,977 posts, read 32,531,418 times

Advertisements

If a "single professionals" scene is important Vacaville and especially Fairfield aren't really good places to live in imo. Neither place has a "significant business industry" either, it's mainly manufacturing/industrial and service sector jobs. Just comes down to short commute vs social life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM

227 posts, read 537,638 times
I'd live in Fairfield or Vacaville, and meet folks online or on the weekends or something. I am familar with the area, and there's no way I'd be commuting from Walnut Creek or anywhere where there's a bridge just to get a somewhat better social life. You'd still be close enough to visit the bars pretty much anywhere in the East Bay on the weekends if you live in Vacaville or Fairfield. But then commute is way more important to me than social life. And Vacaville is a cute city. It's not like there are no single people who live there.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,074,469 times
Too many people think too philosophically on the issue. The fact is that when you live upwards of an hour from your work, what type of social life are you really expecting to have? I commuted an hour to a hour and fifteen minutes from work everyday and was entirely beat up. All I wanted to do when I got home was relax.

I don't understand Americans' incessant need to live so far from work. They almost always regret it but still make the same mistake. I get doing it when it comes out of necessity but why on earth would you set yourself up in such a situation intentionally?

When I want to go to SF for fun, I drive to SF for fun. I would much rather do that than drive to my place of business every single day just so I can pretend like I have a more active and exciting social life.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Too many people think too philosophically on the issue. The fact is that when you live upwards of an hour from your work, what type of social life are you really expecting to have? I commuted an hour to a hour and fifteen minutes from work everyday and was entirely beat up. All I wanted to do when I got home was relax.

I don't understand Americans' incessant need to live so far from work. They almost always regret it but still make the same mistake. I get doing it when it comes out of necessity but why on earth would you set yourself up in such a situation intentionally?

When I want to go to SF for fun, I drive to SF for fun. I would much rather do that than drive to my place of business every single day just so I can pretend like I have a more active and exciting social life.
Different strokes for different folks, not every values or should value the same thing you do. I commuted 45-60 min a day to upwards to 90 minutes some days for four years and never regretted it because I loved where I lived. Some people don't actually mind commuting as much as others obviously.

The type of community some people want to live in is important to them and unfortunately that type of community isn't always close to work, I don't get what's so hard to understand about that. It's not always about going out but just enjoying the area you live in. IMO, there are too many chain stores in the area and Fairfield in particular is pretty low brow.

The OP sounds like he wants somewhat of a more happening community but also a short commute so I would strongly suggest spending few days in Fairfield and Vacaville and determine whether a longer commute would be worth it or if one of those cities suffices for what he is looking for. You have to be delusional if you think either city is a good choice for a single professional looking for that type of scene though, in this case it's good for a short commute and cheaper housing. Not that Walnut Creek is particularly exciting but it's definitely more vibrant and upscale than Fairfield and Vacaville. And since there is no traffic in the reverse direction the commute isn't that bad imo.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,052 times
Thanks all for the replies, I really appreciate it. I'm not a huge drinker so needing to walk home isn't an issue. I do value a short commute, especially since work hours are often long in the military; my longest commute so far has been 25 minutes, and that was in Guam. I had 10 mins in San Diego and a 10 min bike ride in D.C. I don't think I could do an hour both ways.

From what you're all telling me and what I've read, Vacaville and Fairfield don't have any significant social scene or business professional industry. But they are both about 100K each which seems like they're more than just suburbs of housing developments for base families? As Shelacious said, it's not like there aren't single people who live there right?

My other option is requesting Tacoma, WA or Riverside, CA instead. On one hand I feel like Tacoma is similar but has a leg up in proximity to its nearest big city of Seattle (only draw back being the weather) and I hear mixed reviews on Riverside (close to LA but just not a good place to be).

I've done the online thing in the past and it worked well, but I was also in big cities; San Diego, DC and San Antonio. Not sure how well this would work in Fairfield/Vacaville. I've had some friends tell me these places are nice for the weather but they're just far enough from everything for it to be a pain (San Francisco, the ocean, mountains, etc.). It is mainly farm land surrounding these cities correct?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,917,839 times
Really? Shouldn't this be posted on some dating site?

Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHalex234 View Post
I've had some friends tell me these places are nice for the weather but they're just far enough from everything for it to be a pain (San Francisco, the ocean, mountains, etc.). It is mainly farm land surrounding these cities correct?
Yes it mainly farmland or open space. That's one reason I don't think this a good area for younger, singles; it is far from SF and the more happening spots. But if 30-45 min commute is too far for you then driving 30-60 minutes to visit the more happening spots on your off days might work better. FF and Vacaville have pretty much any amenity you will need as far as shops, services, etc..to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland