Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

There was a thread about Brentwood not long ago. You should be able to find it using the search feature. What I came away from that thread remembering, was a post by a person who had grown up there and she begged people not to raise their kids there - as I recall she said something about a high rate of teen pregnancy? Read it to be sure. Can't always trust my memory :-) It sounded too small town-ish for me, at any rate, is what I recall.

I also remember people saying the commute is difficult because of the roads involved.

Get some feedback about the Pittsburgh and Antioch BART stations. My knowledge of Pittsburgh is that there is a lot of violent crime there, and apparently this has bled into Antioch, too, from what I've been hearing. Just be sure you'll be safe, if you have to go into these towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 01:56 PM

9 posts, read 19,599 times
Thanks that explains a lot. I did see the sign for a couple iod those.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
A friend of mine lives in Brentwood and used to work in SF. It took her 2 hours each way. I don't know how she did it.

She now works in walnut creek, but she did that commute for like 5 years.

There is no BART station in Antioch, it is a separate train thing that connects to the BART station. The Pittsburg BART station is ok, but I imagine the waiting list for a parking space is very long, considering most stations have waiting lists. It took my friend 2 years to get a parking permit in walnut creek.

Being perfectly frank, if you have to have new construction, and a budget under $700k the Bay Area is not for you. Places with new construction tend to be very far out. You quality of life would decrease significantly. Places closer in rarely have new construction.

Livermore is closer than Brentwood, and Dublin/Pleasanton have 2 BART stations. Probably a better choice.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:16 AM

140 posts, read 436,523 times
Pacifica, in Linda Mar or Park Pacifica neighborhoods. I drive to & from city all the time, easy peasy. The Walnut Creek commute I found painful myself - too long. My tolerance limit is 20 minutes on commutes though. I used to live Union Square area, take Bart to Walnut Creek (one of offices there). Took 45 just for the train, not counting door to door, or train delays. Just too much for me. If the train were more pleasant, guess would help - but it's loud and often someone jumps in front on Fridays causing major delays.

Pacifica has great schools & no bridges or tunnels to and from San Francisco. We live in 3Br house near Beaches, fresh air, hiking trails, deer, etc...15 min to SF. I take 280 all the way in for financial district or up great highway past Sutro baths, then take Geary or Bush on in. Avoid all parts of 101 at all times. I never listen to my GPS that seems to love 101.

I'm so glad I moved here, back when had no idea how I would afford it. You adapt! Visit first though, get a feel for it. I was sold age 8 on bay area, though, but did not get moved out here until late 20s. No other place in USA that I like better and I've travelled around a lot.

Can get a nice house here for about 600k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland