U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 01:52 PM

132 posts, read 286,085 times

Advertisements

My elderly mother and her elderly friend are going to meet at Pier 35 this week and would like to have lunch together. (The elderly friend will be on a wine country cruise.) I will be the driving my mother to that location (from Santa Rosa). My mother is pretty frail and her friend says she doesn't walk well or see well. Is there a restaurant right at the Pier where they could have lunch? The thought of parking, getting them to the car, finding a restaurant and getting them both into the restaurant, then back out again and back to the Pier sounds way too challenging. My memory of the Pier is that it is just a building and I don't even remember a parking area. Thank you for any suggestions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 02:53 PM

3,700 posts, read 13,626,768 times
I think Pier 39 would have the closest restaurants which is several hundred yards north of Pier 35. The only parking I know of is the parking garage at Pier 39. The "F" streetcar line stops at Pier 35 (Bay & Embarcadero) and also at Pier 39. As touristy as Pier 39 is, there are some decent restaurants. Any way you cut it, there will be some walking involved. Can you have lunch on the cruise ship?

Old 02-08-2014, 03:15 PM

No possibility of lunch on the ship. Already tried that!

Old 02-08-2014, 03:26 PM

434 posts, read 905,789 times
The closest restaurant I could find is the Butterfly at Pier 33, about four hundred feet south.

butterfly restaurant - 33 pier - san francisco - 94111

Google Maps shows a public parking lot across Embarcadero from Pier 35. I've never eaten at the Butterfly or tried to park in that area, so can't offer any personal feedback.

It sounds like a tough lunch to pull off, 10ofus. In your shoes, I think I'd lobby for a different meeting place.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:49 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,488,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ofus View Post
No possibility of lunch on the ship. Already tried that!
Can you get one of those cheep folding wheel chairs, and just wheel her over to Pier 39? It looks like it should only be only about a 4 or 5 minute walk. Or you could go right next door to Pier 33 (a 1 minute walk). Looks like there is at least one Vietnamese restaurant there.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:25 PM

28,095 posts, read 31,943,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vagabond View Post
The closest restaurant I could find is the Butterfly at Pier 33, about four hundred feet south.

Google Maps shows a public parking lot across Embarcadero from Pier 35. I've never eaten at the Butterfly or tried to park in that area, so can't offer any personal feedback.

It sounds like a tough lunch to pull off, 10ofus. In your shoes, I think I'd lobby for a different meeting place.
Butterfly is pretty good. A good choice for a lunch.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:

Thank you so much! I called the Butterfly Restaurant and they said it is a 2-3 minute walk from Pier 35 (where there is parking) so I think this will work! (And I made a reservation.)
I know it sounds like it is going to be tough to pull off, but with this restaurant being so close, I think we can do it.
Thanks again so much for your suggestion and input!

Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 PM

434 posts, read 905,789 times
You're very nice to attempt something like this with your mother and her elderly friend. I hope it works out!

Old 02-23-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
You're very nice to attempt something like this with your mother and her elderly friend. I hope it works out!
It did work our perfectly! Parked in a lot right across the street and the restaurant was lovely.
Took my mom down the "crookedest street in the world" as a bonus afterwards.
Thanks for your help everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland