Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

I and other individual homeowners pay $30 a month for this in our neighborhood as well and I do feel safer.

This shooting is all the buzz on our cul de sac and it didnt even happen close to here. Everyone Ive spoken to about this supports the action of the security guard, and so do I.

Oakland: Private security guard shoots suspected burglar - Inside Bay Area

Old 02-13-2014, 08:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Well.....the security guard chases the burglar onto a different property, and shoots him in the leg, after the burglar pulls a screwdriver on him.

Unfortunately, not legal.

What you all might want to do is hire some secret vigilantes to do things like this. I would have no problem with that.

This legal security firm, though, is gonna be in trouble.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 PM

339 posts, read 516,023 times
How is that not legal? You can't shoot someone who threatens you with a home-fashioned weapon in CA?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
How is that not legal? You can't shoot someone who threatens you with a home-fashioned weapon in CA?
California operates under the castle doctrine. You can use deadly force within the walls of your home without attempting to flee. Outside on the street is a different story. This isn't Florida. Speaking of which, heard there's a guy named George Zimmerman looking for a job, maybe he can help out in Oakland.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well.....the security guard chases the burglar onto a different property, and shoots him in the leg, after the burglar pulls a screwdriver on him.

Unfortunately, not legal.

What you all might want to do is hire some secret vigilantes to do things like this. I would have no problem with that.

This legal security firm, though, is gonna be in trouble.
Yeah, we'll see about that.

I'm assuming the private security guard is licensed to carry a firearm and the guy lunged at him with a screwdriver FIRST. Sounds like self defense to me.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I'm assuming the private security guard is licensed to carry a firearm and the guy lunged at him with a screwdriver FIRST. Sounds like self defense to me.
Um, sounds like self defense of the burglar against the security guard, who was chasing him with a gun.

Like I said, put a mask on the security guard and have him chase down and shoot the bad guys, then disappear. I'm okay with that.

But, what he did isn't legal, even with his license to carry a firearm. Even with his private security guard badge. Only cops get to do things like that - legally.

Had he been inside the house, and the burglar came in, and ran at the guard with a screwdriver, and the guard felt his life was seriously threatened, then he could use deadly force against deadly force.

But, you don't get to chase burglars down the street and shoot them. There is no longer an immediate danger. Even if they turn around and point a screwdriver at you.

I agree the burglar problem needs to be dealt with. But, this guy blew it. He'll lose in court, and the burglars will just get more brazen. IMO.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:48 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Sounds like it to me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: