Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:26 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When my (late) grandparents moved to 88th Ave in the 1960s, the area was not only majority white, but heavily Portuguese. In fact, I remember as a kid walking with my grandfather to the Portuguese store on East 14th where there was also a Portuguese radio station broadcasting, and hearing them announce my name as a visitor. They sold (to a black couple) in the early 1980s, after being burglarized while home for the 3rd time, and the responding policeman, who happened to speak Portuguese advised them to move to a safer area. They ended up in San Leandro until their death. I noticed that in that area now just about every house has wrought iron fences and window bars.
The security bars have been for sometime... the wrought iron fences and brick work is definitely the Hispanic influence... I have not been to central america or mexico but just about all the masons and wrought iron workers speak Spanish...

I've lived all around east Oakland... 90th below East 14th, Brookfield, Havenscourt, 65th Ave and Bancroft and Laurel District.

Had a lot of very good neighbors willing to show me the ropes... when I bought the first home on 90th it was a learning experience in every way... the first week someone stole the old water heater and new sheetrock I had just bought... the next thing I did was put up window bars and security doors...

The sheetrock was found at a church around the corner... the pastor said it was offered for $1 a sheet and the church bought it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 05:20 PM

313 posts, read 159,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Is that what happened to the Fillmore area back in the 60's that many called "Black removal"?
Yep facts mu hometown it was great in the 50s 60s 70s and early 80s after that black pop decline so did economic growth and power influence. Institutional Racism better describe

Old 12-18-2021, 05:32 PM

313 posts, read 159,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
The Bay Area is only less segregated because of necessity (i.e. high housing prices). Notice how areas with overwhelming numbers of blacks and latinos, like east oakland, have virtually no whites (or asians). Whites won't move into an area with above a certain threshold of minorities in it. They'll move into an upper middle class neighborhood that's 8% black and call that "diversity". They are scared to go to other parts of Oakland. Don't be fooled by the whole "diversity" charade.
Facts that just being educated. Like Portland or Seattle Boise Idaho etc etc it's a reason why some whites moved to these places because it's less MULTICULTURAL Diverse really they don't won't that livelihood actually 7% is called the tipping point for blacks or other minorities because of economic threat etc Which that is there Buisness I just hate when they called it diverse when not or trip off other groups want too work live and play in more vibrant communities of color and they hate or make false status

Old 12-21-2021, 07:22 AM

12 posts, read 11,425 times
I think you'll find that there are not many middle-class communities with a predominant race in the Bay Area. This is the most diverse part of the U.S. Young middle-class Blacks are probably living in condos in the metro areas of the Bay Area or suburbs like Brentwood.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:45 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
LA has an upper middle class Black area around Baldwin Hills but I can't think of anything comparable in the Bay Area.

Old 12-24-2021, 06:07 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
LA has an upper middle class Black area around Baldwin Hills but I can't think of anything comparable in the Bay Area.
Baldwin Hills, northern Inglewood, Carson, parts of Long Beach, Pasadena, etc. LA has a much more visible Black middle class than the Bay. Not to mention the newer inland suburban areas which are very racially mixed and the Black pop is growing and typically hovers close to 10%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sserna1982 View Post
I think you'll find that there are not many middle-class communities with a predominant race in the Bay Area. This is the most diverse part of the U.S. Young middle-class Blacks are probably living in condos in the metro areas of the Bay Area or suburbs like Brentwood.
The Bay is not the most diverse part of the US with how small the Black pop is. I'd say Houston and DFW have more racial diversity, as two examples. They are at 10% pretty much of every race at a minimum. Now if the Bay had Vallejo demographics all over then I'd agree with you but thats not the case.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:20 AM

12 posts, read 11,425 times
Default America's Most Diverse Big Cities

Let's agree to disagree. https://www.usnews.com/news/cities/s...he-us?slide=12

Old 01-05-2022, 08:54 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
LA has a much more visible Black middle class than the Bay.
Who told you this? Blacks in the Bay Area are wealthier on average.

Quote:
Not to mention the newer inland suburban areas which are very racially mixed and the Black pop is growing and typically hovers close to 10%.
Bay Area suburbs are more racially mixed than LAs suburbs. This isnt news.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:57 AM

899 posts, read 517,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sserna1982 View Post
These are the city propers only, not the whole metro. DabOnEm is talking about the whole Bay Area having Vallejo demographics.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:09 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I have lived in tha Bay Area since the 60’s.
It has always been separated by economic rather than racial boundaries.

I have never seen a middle or upper middle class area that was predominantly black.

My world was the upper middle class areas but when we first moved to California we lived in the Oakland ghetto and I went to Franklin Elementary for a while.

In the upper middle class areas that I am familiar with the race thing wasn’t an issue.
Whites, Asians, blacks, Indian and Hispanics all fit in and got along.

This could not be said about most low income areas I’ve seen.
I only saw racism there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland