Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:51 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,276 times

Advertisements

The fact is neither approach has proven effective.

Entitlement programs and subsidies have not "leveled" the playing field.

Tax breaks for the wealthy just causes them to become wealthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 10:22 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Yes. It's a popular lie the wealthy use to get the poor to keep voting for representatives that will continue to give tax breaks to corporate entities/the rich. There is absolutely no evidence that giving tax breaks to the rich gives them an incentive to benevolently redistribute wealth and create more jobs. It's almost as bad as the Christian persecution myth that's being perpetuated right now. Almost.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:56 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
The fact is neither approach has proven effective.

Entitlement programs and subsidies have not "leveled" the playing field.

Tax breaks for the wealthy just causes them to become wealthier.
I didn't say anything about tax breaks for the wealthy, I said tax cuts in general, for everyone, especially businesses. High taxes stop businesses fromggrowing and cause job loss..

Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
I don't think the banks are complaining too much about high taxes these days. In fact, after getting bailed out, they've grown larger and more powerful than ever.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I didn't say anything about tax breaks for the wealthy, I said tax cuts in general, for everyone, especially businesses. High taxes stop businesses fromggrowing and cause job loss..
Then I suppose it's how these "tax cuts" are implemented. How would you implement them? How would these cuts solve the inequality problem in Oakland and SF?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:58 PM

243 posts, read 467,346 times
Quote:
High taxes stop businesses from growing and cause job loss.
This is not true. Example: New York City. Or Norway.
Generally, as a business, you have to look at what kind of people you want to hire and what kind of political views they have. I doubt, would be Silicon Valley in Texas it would attract this many engineers. There will always be people who prefer to live in place with higher taxes and therefore there will always be businesses that cater to these people.
High taxes become impediment if they are wasted, fraudulently misspent. Then there is zero motivation for people to live in such a place and they will leave it.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:20 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
At the end of the day, if they built homes in places other than modesto, the bay would not have this problem.

Also the list is misleading. Many of these cities have very healthy and much more equal burbs filled with working to middle class.

The bay is the worst. Middle class people can't own unless they are in the central valley.

I think taxing people like 18montclair 75% of their income would solve this problem. And I will support governor moonbeam if he proposes higher taxes on anyone but me.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 03-09-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 11:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
At the end of the day, if they built homes in places other than modesto, the bay would not have this problem.

Also the list is misleading. Many of these cities have very healthy and much more equal burbs filled with working to middle class.

The bay is the worst. Middle class people can't own unless they are in the central valley.
But of course, building more changes the character of the neighborhood! More people live there and housing can't double in value every 5 years. People would have to settle for modest real estate gains.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:38 AM

The funny thing is, the liberal view of "building more changes the character of the neighborhood" is exactly what is causing this imbalance. Liberals want more affordable housing, but don't want to build more because it "changes the character of the neighborhood".

Old 04-26-2015, 03:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,795 times
Oakland I love it. Tho most crime Is Black on Black Crime. The Police love it. The polictians love it. They make money on it. People make stacts make money on it. People in Hills love it make money on it. It will not change until we love our selves - and make money on it!!! And stop being the tools of the The Man while drugs and guns. Are being dump in neiborhoods (by The Man)Our school systems need help. Our children need help and guidance and better social educational programs
There is a big plan to keep the Flat lands down and many of us are used for this Plan and bought out Cheap without even knowing it. The Haters don't know there is love in the street and its time to take this love and cover it with a glove and smash them to their feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland