U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:34 PM

7,574 posts, read 9,286,272 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever took a train trip to SF? Any tips/suggestions?

I'm thinking of possibly planning a trip the first week of June for a few days. I'll be coming from San Bernardino county.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 PM

5,250 posts, read 6,787,258 times
It stops in Oakland, but I hear you can swim across the Bay...

Old 03-10-2014, 07:43 PM

28,093 posts, read 31,792,095 times
There is an amtrak bus that connects at the Oakland or Emeryville stations that connects you to the ferry building in SF. Or you can take BART/cab/ferry to SF if that is where you are staying.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:45 PM

85,953 posts, read 79,137,238 times
What's the goal of your trip, OP? If it's to see SF, the train doesn't go there, but you can get other transportation to SF from the train station in Oakland. if it's to see the Bay Area, you can stay somewhere in Berkeley or Oakland after taking the train to Oakland or Emeryville.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:22 PM

18,666 posts, read 25,856,881 times
The Amtrak buses that take you from the train station to your destination, are great buses and it's super convenient. I've done this a number of times, including taking the train from Davis, CA to the Emeryville station, then hopping on the Amtrak bus that's waiting outside the station to take you across the bay.

I've also taken the same train to San Jose, then hopped on the Amtrak bus to take me to Santa Cruz - again, the bus was waiting just outside the station.

You can book the train plus the bus ride on the Amtrak website.

BTW, if you have AAA, and you book ahead (I think it's 3 days), you get 10% off, if I remember correctly.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:48 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,218,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Anyone ever took a train trip to SF? Any tips/suggestions?

I'm thinking of possibly planning a trip the first week of June for a few days. I'll be coming from San Bernardino county.
Will you be wanting to take the Coast Starlight or another train from LA up the coast, or are you okay taking a train from SB to LA, a bus from LA to Bakersfield, then the San Joaquin to Oakland, then a bus to SF? It is technically faster, but I figured if your talking about taking a train trip, you might not be as interested in that. Depending on which train you take to get to the Bay Area you can take Caltrain from San Jose, BART from Oakland Coliseum, a bus from Jack London Square (or ferry), bus from Emeryville, or BART from Richmond.

You can also take Metrolink from San Bernandino to Union Station in LA.

The Coast Starlight does have the draw of less transfers, and you get to see the Pacific ocean.
The San Joaquin is faster even with the bus bridge, I guess due to the route, flatter more direct central valley. I think it is also a bit cheaper, and more often.

Where in SF are you going?

Old 03-10-2014, 09:05 PM

525 posts, read 673,355 times
If you are traveling from SB or LA, I wouldn't play with the train and take flight which almost is same but slightly more expensive than train, unless you desire to book something in short term, get views and have a lot of time for 10h train ride (suggest flight from LA/ONT).

And if you have DL and travel on weekend, sometimes rental companies rent out cars cheap (under $10 per day) for promotion. Might wanna include insurance, but check with your CC company what they offer, they may offer free or better cheaper alternative. Avoid renting from airports that charge premium for rental if possible

Bus such as Megabus or Greyhound can get you there quicker than train too but I would consider it as last option.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 AM

434 posts, read 510,723 times
The California Zephyr is gorgeous I have taken it four times. The shortsightedness of taking standard gauge tracks off the Bay Bridge means most intercity Amtrak trains strand you in Oakland (until the Coast Daylight is back in service in a couple years). They have buses that connect you with Caltrain, ferry building, etc.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:44 AM

525 posts, read 673,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
The California Zephyr is gorgeous [...]
That is west-east route, doesn't run to SoCal.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:38 PM

434 posts, read 510,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
That is west-east route, doesn't run to SoCal.
Yea I didn't see the San Bernardino right away, I still vouche for the Zephyr though! The Coast Starlight is nice too, there is wine onboard and if you take it back from SF you are treated to a beautiful sunset over the Pacific. Only downside is, until the Coast Daylight starts running, you get plunked down in Oakland or San Jose instead of the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland