Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 06:01 AM

21,622 posts, read 16,148,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by datown View Post
Seems like all the newbies start in San Francisco proper then move to other cities as they realize San Francisco is just a place to make your money. Move to a different part of the Bay Area and take Bart. With Bart's speed and MUNI's slowness, many East Bay commuters have the same commute time as people that live in San Francisco.
Yeah! Like me. Moved to SF in the late 1960's and still here, retired.
Oh wait -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 10:03 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,027,654 times
FYI. This is the ONLY post by OP in the last 7 months. Actually, the only post EVER. So it seems to be a 'hate' post ("I hate XYZ") designed to accumulate posts.

i suggest you stop responding/replying to an obvious troll post.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:34 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,016,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiramjones8 View Post
there is nobody who has not like to live San Francisco.but i cant believe that when i see your post.i wish to feel like to like in San Francisco.Summers in San Francisco are not cold.so you can take a great opportunity here.
Huh?

Old 11-19-2014, 01:51 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,790,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Huh?
I sometimes "wish to feel like to like in San Francisco" too. But I more often feel like to like in SJ, so I opt to live here, and avail myself the opportunity to experience the SF like to like when the occasional urge arises. Same with SC.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:40 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,277,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuencrash View Post
The entire Bay Area is overrated. It's nothing but cliquey, self righteous, passive-aggressive, insular, insecure, close minded people who believe they're so open minded and liberal.
Dating out here is like trying to jump through hoops of fire that are moving up and down and soaked in gasoline. You can thank the Tech companies for creating such an imbalance in the Male to Female ratio.
Unless you're the "cultural fit"(cliquey, self righteous, passive-aggressive, insular, insecure, close minded), you're going to have a very hard time here. Inside and outside of work. Back to the East I go.
Couldn't have said it any better. Never met such a horrible group of people in my life. Being from LA (and no, I didn't flaunt it), I was regularly shunned by social groups of people from Seattle, NorCal, and the Central Valley. The Asians would leave me out of their friend group because I'm not Asian. The Russian group would leave me out because I'm not Russian enough and don't speak Russian. I never fit in with the gay population because I'm not gay enough. The white people are generally too granola for my liking and very judgmental to those who aren't. Nearly everyone I called a "friend" was just someone to keep me from being lonely until I moved. No matter what I did, no matter how great of an accomplishment I shared with them, they always had to 1-up me and could never simply congratulate me. The story was always turned around to how great their life is or how they did something like that even better than me or generally something along those lines.

I'll be the first one to tell you, I have no filter. All over the world, people have loved me for my honesty, being outspoken, and being so outgoing. I felt so restricted in SF because every time I opened my mouth, I was afraid I would say a word that was too sensitive to someone. I went on a date with a guy who left a few minutes after I said something about raping the exam I just took because I was too offensive. Telling an Asian man I didn't want to sleep with him because, and he asked why, so I said I'm not sexually attracted to Asians, made me a racist (happened on several occasions). Not being sexually attracted to overly effeminate gays made me a homophobe. Joking about being more "Mexican" than some Mexicans I know because of my interests and passions labeled me racist (I'm racist for enjoying Mexican culture). Being pro-Israeli makes me an ignorant, uneducated, heartless ***hole. Not enjoying the taste of PBR made me uncool. Thinking some place besides SF was better made me stupid and I was always wrong simply for having a different opinion. Defending my home of Los Angeles from baseless attacks made me wrong. Actually enjoying going back to LA was incorrect. Actually wanting to go on a date with a guy ostracized me from the promiscuous gay culture. Not enjoying the gay bars made me weird and undesirable.

Yeah, I guess when you come from a farm in Iowa, you can call SF "your city", but that never gives anyone the right to tell others they're wrong for having an opinion. Visit LA. See if you can hear anyone talking about how much better LA is than SF and how SF is so stupid. Wear SF gear. Move here and rep it to your friends. Yeah we might snicker at you. The other way around though? All over SF conversations regularly revolve around how perfect SF, how it's the best city on earth, how LA sucks, etc. and just simply being from LA and enjoying being from there demotes you to a second-class citizen.

So no, SF is not this land of openness and opportunity like it once was. It's exactly how ryuencrash described.

P.S. As a little side rant, I can't stand any sports fans in SF because all I ever heard during sports season was how SF is so much better than LA in everything. Not just sports. But because the Giants and 49ers all of a sudden became good teams, it gave SF even more of an ego boost. I wasn't aware their ego could get any greater!! By far the biggest bandwagon city in the nation, yet they can't stop talking about how great "their city" is.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:06 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,114,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Couldn't have said it any better. Never met such a horrible group of people in my life. Being from LA (and no, I didn't flaunt it), I was regularly shunned by social groups of people from Seattle, NorCal, and the Central Valley. The Asians would leave me out of their friend group because I'm not Asian. The Russian group would leave me out because I'm not Russian enough and don't speak Russian. I never fit in with the gay population because I'm not gay enough. The white people are generally too granola for my liking and very judgmental to those who aren't. Nearly everyone I called a "friend" was just someone to keep me from being lonely until I moved. No matter what I did, no matter how great of an accomplishment I shared with them, they always had to 1-up me and could never simply congratulate me. The story was always turned around to how great their life is or how they did something like that even better than me or generally something along those lines.

I'll be the first one to tell you, I have no filter. All over the world, people have loved me for my honesty, being outspoken, and being so outgoing. I felt so restricted in SF because every time I opened my mouth, I was afraid I would say a word that was too sensitive to someone. I went on a date with a guy who left a few minutes after I said something about raping the exam I just took because I was too offensive. Telling an Asian man I didn't want to sleep with him because, and he asked why, so I said I'm not sexually attracted to Asians, made me a racist (happened on several occasions). Not being sexually attracted to overly effeminate gays made me a homophobe. Joking about being more "Mexican" than some Mexicans I know because of my interests and passions labeled me racist (I'm racist for enjoying Mexican culture). Being pro-Israeli makes me an ignorant, uneducated, heartless ***hole. Not enjoying the taste of PBR made me uncool. Thinking some place besides SF was better made me stupid and I was always wrong simply for having a different opinion. Defending my home of Los Angeles from baseless attacks made me wrong. Actually enjoying going back to LA was incorrect. Actually wanting to go on a date with a guy ostracized me from the promiscuous gay culture. Not enjoying the gay bars made me weird and undesirable.

Yeah, I guess when you come from a farm in Iowa, you can call SF "your city", but that never gives anyone the right to tell others they're wrong for having an opinion. Visit LA. See if you can hear anyone talking about how much better LA is than SF and how SF is so stupid. Wear SF gear. Move here and rep it to your friends. Yeah we might snicker at you. The other way around though? All over SF conversations regularly revolve around how perfect SF, how it's the best city on earth, how LA sucks, etc. and just simply being from LA and enjoying being from there demotes you to a second-class citizen.

So no, SF is not this land of openness and opportunity like it once was. It's exactly how ryuencrash described.

P.S. As a little side rant, I can't stand any sports fans in SF because all I ever heard during sports season was how SF is so much better than LA in everything. Not just sports. But because the Giants and 49ers all of a sudden became good teams, it gave SF even more of an ego boost. I wasn't aware their ego could get any greater!! By far the biggest bandwagon city in the nation, yet they can't stop talking about how great "their city" is.
You don't present yourself in this post as a very likable or interesting person. are you certain the problem wasn't you?

Even if the only people you could relate to were former Angelenos, there are thousands of them in SF. In my office, about 1/4 of the staff comes from Southern California. We all get along fine and even use the company Giants tickets to go to Giants vs. Dodgers games.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:20 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,318,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
FYI. This is the ONLY post by OP in the last 7 months. Actually, the only post EVER. So it seems to be a 'hate' post ("I hate XYZ") designed to accumulate posts.

i suggest you stop responding/replying to an obvious troll post.
I don't believe in "troll" posts, and find the concept of a "troll" to be incredibly ridiculous. The OP expressed an opinion that wasn't favorable to the city, and that viewpoint is just as informative as one that is favorable.

Why attack the messenger because you don't agree with the message?

Old 11-20-2014, 10:15 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,277,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You don't present yourself in this post as a very likable or interesting person. are you certain the problem wasn't you?

Even if the only people you could relate to were former Angelenos, there are thousands of them in SF. In my office, about 1/4 of the staff comes from Southern California. We all get along fine and even use the company Giants tickets to go to Giants vs. Dodgers games.
So the fact I have friends literally all over the world and people generally find me to be one of the friendliest and most fun people they've ever met means nothing? The only place I didn't have true friends or feel like didn't I fit in was in SF. It was the most closed-off and closed-minded group of people I've ever met. I have friends I still talk to on different continents and I have always had a large group of friends...except in SF.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:59 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,076,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post

typical transplant.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:46 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,240,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
So the fact I have friends literally all over the world and people generally find me to be one of the friendliest and most fun people they've ever met means nothing? The only place I didn't have true friends or feel like didn't I fit in was in SF. It was the most closed-off and closed-minded group of people I've ever met. I have friends I still talk to on different continents and I have always had a large group of friends...except in SF.
You've LITERALLY been all over the world, yourself? Wow! Tell us more!

You seem pretty arrogant and opinionated, yet not at all worldly, despite your claims.

People probably didn't like you in SF because you sound full of yourself and like you're trying too hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland