Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 02:39 PM

120 posts, read 110,307 times

Advertisements

The Bay Area is pretty non-religious compared to some other parts of the country.

Coming from the South, wow was it a wake up call. I'm a Christian (raised Protestant, now Orthodox Christian) but I'm not Bible Thumper. My Dad, a deacon, always said "the only person you can get into heaven is yourself.

People just made me feel super uncomfortable about saying grace silently, fasting during Lent, being a Christian in general. "Because religion isn't something intelligent folk get into". Nvm when I mentioned my lesbian sister and her wife are involved in their church in NC. I really wish every Christian back home that gave other religions/atheists so much hell for not "getting with the program" spent some time in the Bay.

But on the original topic, yea SF is overrated. I just started working over here for the first time in the almost 10 years I've been here and I am so happy to get back to Oakland each day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 03:28 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIT77 View Post

But on the original topic, yea SF is overrated. I just started working over here for the first time in the almost 10 years I've been here and I am so happy to get back to Oakland each day.
This is what the OP should be doing, or some variation of it, if he hates living in SF. I notice he hasn't returned to the thread, to let us know what his circumstances are that keep him tied to SF outside of work hours. It's a 2-year-old thread, so maybe he finally did move away.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:32 PM

264 posts, read 413,873 times
Wow, this has come back? This thread was started by a troll in 2014, and it was his one post.

Larger cities in general get too expensive, too trafficky, too competitive, too crowded; but there's tons of fun stuff to do and an energy you don't find elsewhere.

There are downsides to living in any city, I'm at the stage in life where I like visiting SF but not living in it (and can't afford it anymore on my meager low-to-mid-6-figure-salary), so I moved to Sacramento.

This was posted over on the Sac thread and reminded me of you guys Everyone wants to live in the Bay Area

Old 09-12-2016, 07:07 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Are you sure those people looking at housing in SF aren't do so kinda as a joke to see actually how crazy the prices are there? I bet a lot of people are curious as to how expensive the city is, and just look for fun. I doubt there are THAT many people looking at housing in SF.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:16 PM

Chinese investors for one... see all the houses marketed for 1.8888 ... 888 million? Lucky #s! And that's a cheap teaser price.

But yes a lot of people are just looking and wishing and circumstances (job, money, family) dictate that they can't really move.

Anytime something is more competitive, more in demand, more wanted, more expensive -- that will make a large number of people want it even more (until perhaps it implode/explodes).

Moreover, SF is still the tech-hub of the world, and nowhere else compares to its deep multilevel ecosystem. Austin and Seattle are playing catch up, LA and other places may have their own niches, and Miami is still a joke (Silicon Beach, really? nope, not even close).

With SF tons of people still want in; but also tons of residents want out.

This is just Zillow's page-view analytics mined for one month, so take it for what it's worth. Coming and Going: What Home Views Do, and Don

Old 09-12-2016, 08:29 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Chinese investors for one... see all the houses marketed for 1.8888 ... 888 million? Lucky #s! And that's a cheap teaser price.

But yes a lot of people are just looking and wishing and circumstances (job, money, family) dictate that they can't really move.

Anytime something is more competitive, more in demand, more wanted, more expensive -- that will make a large number of people want it even more (until perhaps it implode/explodes).

Moreover, SF is still the tech-hub of the world, and nowhere else compares to its deep multilevel ecosystem. Austin and Seattle are playing catch up, LA and other places may have their own niches, and Miami is still a joke (Silicon Beach, really? nope, not even close).

With SF tons of people still want in; but also tons of residents want out.

This is just Zillow's page-view analytics mined for one month, so take it for what it's worth. Coming and Going: What Home Views Do, and Don
By "multilevel ecosystem" you mean: Low income wage slave renters, people who bought when houses were cheap, and start up millionaires/billionaires?

Old 09-13-2016, 10:36 AM

No, slave labor you can find anywhere. I mean platform builders with core components + developers that work in the periphery, and all in between. I was addressing an earlier question as to why there are still that many people looking for housing/jobs in SF, despite its lack of housing, fastest growing wage gap, and resulting socioeconomic problems.

There is no stopping growth, and you shouldn't stop growth. True the money makers, builders, etc. should exercise more social responsibility, especially in *progressive* SF, but if you tax them too much they'll simply pack up and go elsewhere, like Texas, which given the things they are now, might not be a bad thing.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
No, slave labor you can find anywhere. I mean platform builders with core components + developers that work in the periphery, and all in between. I was addressing an earlier question as to why there are still that many people looking for housing/jobs in SF, despite its lack of housing, fastest growing wage gap, and resulting socioeconomic problems.

There is no stopping growth, and you shouldn't stop growth. True the money makers, builders, etc. should exercise more social responsibility, especially in *progressive* SF, but if you tax them too much they'll simply pack up and go elsewhere, like Texas, which given the things they are now, might not be a bad thing.
detroit's and chicago's growth was stopped. Never say never.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:01 AM

Haha, you don't want to become a Detroit, but yeah weights and counterweights. SF's affordability problem is already bleeding out to Seattle, Austin, Sacramento, Portland + others I don't know about.

It'll be some years before Starfleet Headquarters gets built by the Golden Gate, we invent energy-matter converters, and material wealth gets phased out.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Haha, you don't want to become a Detroit, but yeah weights and counterweights. SF's affordability problem is already bleeding out to Seattle, Austin, Sacramento, Portland + others I don't know about.

It'll be some years before Starfleet Headquarters gets built by the Golden Gate, we invent energy-matter converters, and material wealth gets phased out.
Personally if we became a Detroit I'd be happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland