Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

These posts always confuse me. OP is stating things about the area as if he lives here (young people working in WC live elsewhere, there is nothing there to do, etc.) then admits he's never actually been there and only visited CA 2 times in his life. Then claims he can't afford anything in WC but needs to live close by with roommates while simultaneously seeking out active "nightlife" with good restaurants, bars and pubs and lot's of awesome people and things to do in a safe area....which is going to cost $$$ no matter how you slice it.

My advice, IF you are actually end up moving for a job with a startup in WC in a few months (ifififififif) get advice from those at said startup, who clearly must know something. Live near work and that's where you will meet people, best case possible. Move outward later if you want, assuming you don't make any friends in the large city of WC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 03:40 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endofdarkness View Post
Hi Guys,

Just looking for some insight into the best possible neighborhood in the Easy Bay area for me to live in.

My situation:

I'm a single, 26yr old guy and will most likely be moving to CA later this June and will be working for a startup based in Walnut Creek. However, Walnut Creek is pretty expensive (based on pay and expenses) to live in and doesn't offer much in terms of things to do, a lot of people to meet or a nightlife. In fact, a good no. of young folks who work in Walnut Creek stay in neighboring suburbs.

What I'm after:

A pleasant neighborhood where I can rent out a decent yet affordable place (will probably share), not too crime-ridden, connected by BART, inhabited by a great crowd of (young and diverse) people, offers plenty of things to do (inc. outdoor activities, trails), essential retail outlets and businesses and a good selection of bars, pubs, restaurants (good nightlife).

In short, a place that doesn't give out a small-town vibe, is affordable, lively for young folks and well connected.

So far, here's what I've checked off the list. Not sure how valid it is:
Danville (no BART)
Rockridge (high crime)
Fremont (too far)
Berkley (expensive, far)
Oakland (high crime, traffic)

It looks like I might have to compromise on one of my requirements to meet the others, but I wanted to hear your thoughts and suggestions to get some clarity on this. Personally, I've only been to CA twice in my life and for a brief period.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
~N
Neither one of these things is true for the ENTIRE city of Oakland. Where exactly is all this traffic in Oakland again?

Old 03-24-2014, 04:29 PM

507 posts, read 917,452 times
Quote:
In short, a place that doesn't give out a small-town vibe, is affordable, lively for young folks and well connected.
Berkeley, and in Oakland: Rockridge, Temescal, Uptown, Piedmont Ave, Grand Lake. You're overstating crime issues, and traffic is only an issue if you're crossing a bridge or tunnel.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:25 AM

3 posts, read 8,055 times
Hi Guys,

Thanks for chipping in with your feedback!

In response to some of your comments:

Quote:
Why are you taking a job that doesn't pay you enough to have your own place?
The decision to share a place with someone is my own. Makes the transition easier and less alienating. The pay is entry level but isn't too bad. It's an interesting situation with work, but this will change after a year.

Quote:
OP is stating things about the area as if he lives here (young people working in WC live elsewhere, there is nothing there to do, etc.) then admits he's never actually been there and only visited CA 2 times in his life. Then claims he can't afford anything in WC but needs to live close by with roommates while simultaneously seeking out active "nightlife" with good restaurants, bars and pubs and lot's of awesome people and things to do in a safe area....which is going to cost $$$ no matter how you slice it.

My advice, IF you are actually end up moving for a job with a startup in WC in a few months (ifififififif) get advice from those at said startup, who clearly must know something. Live near work and that's where you will meet people, best case possible. Move outward later if you want, assuming you don't make any friends in the large city of WC.
Sorry about that. I see what you mean. Facts about WC are mostly hearsay and things I've been told by different people (why is why I'm posting here). I seem to have created this perception of WC being overly expensive and devoid of a nightlife. Also, my last 2 trips to WC were work related and I didn't get to explore much. Thanks for your advice though, makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
Neither one of these things is true for the ENTIRE city of Oakland. Where exactly is all this traffic in Oakland again?
Quote:
You're overstating crime issues, and traffic is only an issue if you're crossing a bridge or tunnel.
Thanks for clearing this up. I'm glad these are not true.

Once again, thanks for all your inputs guys! Much appreciated. You've given me a lot to think about and deliberate.

Will post back If I have any questions.

Cheers
~ N

Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
You should really title your thread 'best neighborhood in the East Bay Area NEAR WALNUT CREEK THAT I CAN AFFORD"

Old 03-26-2014, 11:23 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
What -- are you kidding? I had to wait an entire 20 seconds for two cars to go by when I pulled out of my driveway yesterday. That's a traffic jam!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:14 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Martinez is small, quaint and relatively inexpensive, but I don't think there is much night life. It is fairly close to BART and there is an Amtrak Station there. My son lived there for the past few years and liked it except said it's boring for a single guy..He's moving to the Temescal district of Oakland next month primarily to be closer to more restaurants and bars. But honestly..I don't think you will find rentals substantially cheaper than Walnut Creek/Concord unless you go to Vallejo.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 8,055 times
@18Montclair

You're right. It should have been specific. I wish I could update the thread title.

@2sleepy

Thanks for your feedback. Oakland is on my list now.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:07 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred9 View Post
As a local, lived here since 1981; I must say Oakland has changed for the better. In some areas.
The DTO is far better off than it was in the mid to late 80's, When City Center was complete it brought back some life to the DTO, but not enough. The auto row was a bad idea, now it seems like the city is fixing that.

JLS seems to be stuck in a loop; life, vacancies, life, vacancies and always, the trains; one constant has been the Fat Lady, so good. Oh and Yoshi's.

Temescal seems the same (well off) the close proximity to Children's Hospital, Hwy 24 connector to CCC where most the staff probably lives if not in the city of Piedmont via Pleasant Valley road.

Piedmont is the city that lives with-in the city of Oakland, it would put up walls around it if it could. Then there is the Kiaser buildings on Piedmont ave and the new mega building. I was a bit sad when MB mall was demo'd, found memories from Junior High. Piedmont avenue has some good shops as well as Fenton's Creamery.

Montclair is nice and quite though next to Hwy 13 it has a nice shopping area and just like Glen View it has that nice, with in a city suburb feel and shops on upper middle Park blvd..

Rockridge is a contender for O' Mission, Broadway to Dwight Way. Traffic down College ave is horrible right now.

Fruitvale Ave between MacArthur Blvd and San Leandro street intersected by E14th street and Foot hill blvd. that is Oakland's Mission District. Take the BART train there and get off at Fruitvale station, yes the stop where that crime took place and a movie was made about it. Powder face is right next to the station, good beignets. There is a Loards Ice cream shop way up on MacArthur and Coolidge at the border of...

Diamod is OK it's another mini suburb; there is a Food Mill (independent grocery store), a Farmer Joe's on MacArthur blvd. and more shops as enter into...

Laurel flanked by Redwood Heights up 35th ave avenue heading towards the oddly placed Holy Names and Merritt colleges. Up Campus drive you enter into one of Oakland's Million dollar plus neighborhoods (there not all sequestered in Piedmont).

Further east there is the Keller ave exit off the 580, that my dad would take when he or I had an appointment at the now closed Oak Knoll Naval Hospital. Further past that is the Oakland Zoo, a place every person in the Bay Area should visit at least twice a year. As an adult I haven't gone into other parts of the deep east oakland bordered by the 580 and 880, there has only been a need to do so a few times in the past ten years. I had to go to the OPD station at EastMont Mall (now town center,?) to get a police report from a hit and run incident on Lakeshore ave (no one hurt); and to get from 880 to 580 due to traffic other wise I avoid the areas past High St. to San Leandro between 580/880. Though I hear new things about Foothill square.

West Oakland, between 880 loop and the 980/580 80 connector... EBMud Sewage treatment plant, the first thing you see coming off the Bay bridge from SF. The port of Oak, memories from the '89 quake with images of the collapsed Cypress freeway, Buck Helm rescue. Hanging out with my dad at Oakland Army Base. Other than that I never really spent any time out in West O. Mandela Parkway is getting better.

Lake Merritt has always been the best area to live around IMO. I miss the speed boat races that took place in it in the 80's (Pollution). I grew up in Clinton (East Lake Merritt or New China Town). Saturday farmers market, sunny evenings and weekend walks around the lake. The food up and down Grand ave and across on Lakeshore ave, enjoying a beer on the dock at Lake Chalet. Jong Ga house, Leaning Tower of Pizza, Los Cantaros and Flipside burger, just a few of my favorite food spots. It's apartment district, eh. When will Jackson street be repaved, OMG!? IMO, the Cathedral is a concrete eye sore. If you know the place I don't need to give out details about it. We love living here on the hill, but the public schools will drive us away before or son starts middle school.

Obviously there is way more to Oakland than what I mentioned, go out and explore for yourself
well done! A lot of people seem to think that Oakland is a giant ghetto with a few rich white people in the hills. It's not. You gave a good feel for the city.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:59 AM

365 posts, read 779,806 times
When I left San Francisco two years ago after having resided there 35 years I focused my search on Oakland. I wanted something close to the City for commuting; but, yet an urban environment as that is what I'm used to. My search led me to the Rose Garden area of Oakland -- where the City of Piedmont, the Grand Lake neighborhood and the Piedmont Ave. neighborhood all meet. Couldn't be happier with my decision to move here. High walk score, easy transit or car pool into the City. A walk down the hill in one direction I'm on Piedmont Ave., a walk through the Rose Garden and I'm on Grand with a easy stroll down to Lake Shore Ave. and Lake Merritt. I highly recommend this neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland