Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:07 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,544,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushixoxo View Post
we're not really muslims, i mean my partner is an atheist and i believe in god but not in religion so that isnt a problem at all. we just meant the who arab lesbian thing. and if its a friendly place? if its easy to live there and be apart of a community??

Thank you SOOO much for all of your replies, they were helpful ^_^
Basically unless you tend to have right of center views and are outspoken about them, or you work in high tech San Francisco will be an accepting place is the basic run down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 01:38 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,476,901 times
mod cut

Seriously, though, the Bay Area is about the best possible place to be what you are. I would expect more of an issue fitting in with a traditional Arab culture, which I would argue isn't big in the Bay Area in general, than with anyone else.

The warning about the Israel/Palestine sides is worth mentioning again. I am from San Diego originally and people there couldn't be arsed to keep on that conflict, but there is a surprising number of people around here who have strong feelings about who is bombing who in the middle of a tiny piece of desert half a globe away.

Also worth emphasizing is the fact that merely being Arab and a lesbian won't help you make friends around here. Are you an activist? Do you like to hike? Are you interested in analyzing the appropriate wine pairing with your quinoa? Those types of things matter far more in helping you find a good group of friends around here. And yes, Meetup is an excellent way to meet people. Meetup is very active in this area.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-06-2014 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 AM

51 posts, read 115,428 times
I suggest living in Berkeley/ east bay to be around a very diverse lesbian population.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 3,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTexan76 View Post
I suggest living in Berkeley/ east bay to be around a very diverse lesbian population.
I agree, in Oakland there are even some club nights run by lgbti people of color (hella gay, and ships in the night) they donate proceeds to local organizations.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:25 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,162,660 times
I think Oakland is a better fit for you. It is more diverse, larger lesbian population (I believe) and seeing different cultures mixing is just -- common.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,709,568 times
Supposedly the largest lesbian concentration in the Bay Area (perhaps even further) is the Adams point area of Oakland. No matter if that's true or not it is a great neighborhood and super convenient. One I'd recommend to lesbians and non lesbians alike.

You won't stand out as a lesbian in Oakland. And there are a bunch of Arab/middle eastern markets (if that's something you care about) on Telegraph in the 20s and 30s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland