Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:29 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

How "dense" do think coastal California should become?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 04:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
There needs to be targeted density. We decided we do not want housing in sf the peninsula etc. As a result we built housing in former farm land in Antioch, Modesto, Brentwood, Gilroy etc and we got extra traffic congestion and prices that were even more unaffordable.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 PM

343 posts, read 444,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
How "dense" do think coastal California should become?
A lot denser than it is

Old 04-02-2014, 05:47 PM

457 posts, read 756,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Source? Where's your data
lol, you need data for this. Just do a google search. Facebook alone created a 1000 millionaires in the Bay Area

Old 04-02-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamadon1 View Post
A lot denser than it is
sure. Because driving is a snap and resources are unlimited as it is now.

As a friend of mine used to always quote: "growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell." Writer named ed abbey I believe first said it.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:40 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:

As a friend of mine used to always quote: "growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell." Writer named ed abbey I believe first said it.
Growth in population is already occurring, whether you want it or not. The question is, should growth in housing units equal the growth in population, or should the number of housing units remain relatively static and the only thing that should grow is the cost of rent and mortgages?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:44 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:

By not growing housing in desirable areas near job centers is causing the long commute.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Growth in population is already occurring, whether you want it or not. The question is, should growth in housing units equal the growth in population, or should the number of housing units remain relatively static and the only thing that should grow is the cost of rent and mortgages?
thanks professor. I'd have never figured that out. But the answer is units should remain static. Then all that nasty population growth I don't like will just have to locate some where's else.

When I was first sent out to California the state population was about 18 million as I recall. How many of you reading this thread think another 20 or 30 million will just make things more fun? Especially techies.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
By not growing housing in desirable areas near job centers is causing the long commute.
you want to try that again Shooter? So it makes sense to read I mean.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:06 PM

484 posts, read 821,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
The only person that sounds entitled is you. You seem to think you you have the right to live in a beautiful, lively city without having to pay market rate for rent, and that you should somehow have the right to decide which other groups can live there. If you like San Francisco and want to stay, you either need to buy property so you can lock in the right to stay, or you have to compete with other people that want to live there. If you can't hack it in SF, there is always cheap housing in Stockton.

As several other people have pointed out, the underlying problem isn't the techies driving up rents. That is just the symptom. The underlying problem is a housing shortage, in both San Francisco and in the Silicon Valley. This is a result of people in both the Silicon Valley and San Francisco resisting denser development. The concerns are usually about traffic, changing the 'character' of the neighborhood, and displacing the people in the buildings that are already there. However, each time a development gets blocked or a building is downsized to get permits with neighbor approval, the housing shortage gets more acute and rents continue to go up. That being said, I wouldn't want a giant apartment building to be built down the street from my house either. So, if you want to protest something, protest the difficulty getting permits for denser development, not the people who's high rents pay property taxes to support police, fire, and public transportation in SF.
I've lived in SF since 1985 and I'm quite comfortably ensconced at the moment, so I think I'm well past the point of "hacking it." SF has always been expensive, and no one expects otherwise.

What I object to is the tech behemoths using their financial clout to push out longtime San Francisco residents and otherwise imperil San Francisco's unique culture all in the name of profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland