Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 12:31 PM

34 posts, read 71,846 times

Advertisements

My window unit air conditioners? We desperately needed them in RI, but we know the bay area weather is more temperate. We will likely be living in an apartment complex that may not have air conditioning.... do we need to bring our window units or can we sell them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msshell View Post
My window unit air conditioners? We desperately needed them in RI, but we know the bay area weather is more temperate. We will likely be living in an apartment complex that may not have air conditioning.... do we need to bring our window units or can we sell them?
If you live in the inner bay area, AC is generally unnecessary, but you'll definitely have a few days where you will wish there was A/C. Typically about 10 a year give or take.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 PM

34 posts, read 71,846 times
Great - thank you!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Summer in Foster City tops out at about 72-75 most days. It is a super heatwave when it is over 78.

The nearby towns are pretty similar. Topping 80 isn't that frequent, although these days, with climate change, those days are a lot more common.

That being said, a day over about 85 is a super fluke! Like record setting weather. But further south is it definitely a little warmer, like Mountain View, Fremont, Hayward, or Palo Alto. And anything on the other side of the east bay hills. 80s aren't uncommon. And AC is mostly a given.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:03 PM

38 posts, read 41,149 times
the good thing about the bay area is that it cools off at night, so when those rare days when you wish you had AC, you can open windows at night, put a box fan in the window and suck in the cool air from outside... at least you will be able to sleep at night..

Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I think you should sell them. If you decide you want one at some point, you can probably just pick up a small cheap one.

I lived in Santa Clara, and just had one in my bedroom and I'd blow the cooler air into the living room with a big fan. I just bought the cheapest one I could find online from Home Depot, I think, and had it delivered. It's much warmer in Santa Clara, too.

My apt in Santa Clara didn't have one when I moved in. They're becoming more common in the Bay Area, but aren't a given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland