Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,419 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'll be moving with my partner from Berlin to SF this fall for a job offer in Palo Alto. Since I never needed a car in Berlin, I don't have a license and plan to get one when we move. Until my H1B1 visa application gets approved, I will be traveling to the US on a regular basis to continue to work as a contractor and would like to use the opportunity to get my license.

So, I was wondering whether it would be possible for me to get a driver's license while I wait for the final lag of my H1B1 visa application to be get fully processed?

Thanks!

Last edited by Neuintown; 04-18-2014 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 03:16 PM

23,284 posts, read 23,657,690 times
A couple of my H1B colleagues have driver's licenses, so I believe that it is possible.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:06 PM

881 posts, read 1,809,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuintown View Post
Hi - I'll be moving with my partner from Berlin to SF this fall for a job offer in Palo Alto. Since I never needed a car in Berlin, I don't have a license and plan to get one when we move. Until my H1B1 visa application gets approved, I will be traveling to the US on a regular basis to continue to work as a contractor and would like to use the opportunity to get my license.

So, I was wondering whether it would be possible for me to get a driver's license while I wait for the final lag of my H1B1 visa application to be get fully processed?

Thanks!
You need a SSN, to get a license. To get a SSN, you will need to have a valid H1B Visa, stamp in your passport and the I-94. So no, you can't get a license until the H1B has been approved and you enter the country on it.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:19 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,255,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
You need a SSN, to get a license. To get a SSN, you will need to have a valid H1B Visa, stamp in your passport and the I-94. So no, you can't get a license until the H1B has been approved and you enter the country on it.

"Exception to the SSN requirement:

If you are legally present in the US, but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from SSN requirements. However, you must still provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence document for any DL/ID card application OR provide a valid SSN."

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#SSN

Old 04-19-2014, 12:29 AM

881 posts, read 1,809,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
"Exception to the SSN requirement:

If you are legally present in the US, but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from SSN requirements. However, you must still provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence document for any DL/ID card application OR provide a valid SSN."

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#SSN
The OP didn't mention on what status they will be in the US while "visiting as a contractor" pending their H1B approval. If they are entering as a visitor, I do not believe that qualifies them for a CA license. The OP best contact the DMV for clarification.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,419 times
Thank you all, this has been great help!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:10 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,396,950 times
My friend from Austria found it the most expedient to drive with his Austrian License while waiting.

Had absolutely no issues with a valid Austrian License and International Addendum which is basically a translation. He had rental cars and drove mine.

In the past... it was easy to get a California license... had friends that would get them while on Holiday and just need a passport and to pass the written, driving and eye test...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: