Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,297,864 times

Advertisements

The fix in in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 11:55 PM

95 posts, read 172,039 times
I think fans will still go when they can. It's still the only NBA franchise in the Bay Area and the folks in the bay love their sports!

However I'm pretty sure most of the tickets will be sold to a lot more corporations now. Perhaps all the tech companies etc will buy tickets now since the Arena will be in SF.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:58 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,034,607 times
Moving to SF is a no brainer. Way more marketable.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:00 AM

36,631 posts, read 67,203,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chup76 View Post
I think fans will still go when they can. It's still the only NBA franchise in the Bay Area and the folks in the bay love their sports!

However I'm pretty sure most of the tickets will be sold to a lot more corporations now. Perhaps all the tech companies etc will buy tickets now since the Arena will be in SF.
Perhaps but they dont have a marketing problem and have long been among the best teams for attendance even when they sucked they played to sold out crowds.

http://www.nba.com/warriors/#/story/...hise-history-0

They are among the most valuable and profitable teams as well.
The Business Of Basketball List - Forbes

Old 04-22-2014, 01:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chup76 View Post

The warriors didn't have a problem with boxes. I've been to several games that way for a variety of companies.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:13 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Perhaps but they dont have a marketing problem and have long been among the best teams for attendance even when they sucked they played to sold out crowds.

I think they are going to have a harder time selling out during crappy years in the new place. The warriors haven't even hinted at placating the loyal fan base, and basically said "*********."

Old 04-22-2014, 02:49 AM

95 posts, read 172,039 times
Quote:

Oh yeah absolutely. Bay Area basketball fans love the Warriors but I expect ticket prices will go up across the board. IMO, It'll impact who is/can buy the tickets.

Which NBA Teams Offer the Most Affordable Home Games?

Old 04-22-2014, 11:38 AM

43 posts, read 107,048 times
Quote:

This Forbes list supports my point that sports is mostly about marketing and branding. The value of the Nets went up 47% by dropping New Jersey and switching to Brooklyn. That is highest one year return on the list.

In addition, the Knicks and Lakers were two of the worst teams in the NBA this year and made a fortune. Top 2 in the league by a mile.

Also, marketing and branding is not just about appeal to fans, but appeal to free agents. No superstar has ever said "I'm taking my talents to the East Bay." Even though it's just a difference of 15 miles, the Warriors have a much higher shot at getting the next Lebron or Kobe being in SF. The elite players in the league can make more in endorsements than salary because of the salary cap structure. Playing in Oakland doesn't help land the huge endorsements.

It's unfortunate for Oakland to lose the Warriors, but moving to SF is a no-brainer.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:46 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,775,035 times
It is funny that the owners of the warriors wants to buy the A's and keep them in Oakland while he is taking the one team he owns and moves it to San Francisco.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,455,531 times
I think the Warriors will do fine even in bad years, the Giants attendance is still relatively good even when they are pretty bad. It probably will be more subdued and the crowd more like AT&T, I imagine there will be a lot more chardonnay carts at the games lol.

Kind of a lame area (for now) to be in but it will be interesting to see how it develops. Once the Central Subway is done it will be a fairly easy connection but I wonder how crowded those Muni trains will get. When I've gone to AT&T I just walk or cab because I don't want to cram onto a Muni train from BART, this location is too far to walk though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland