Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 04:11 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,422 times

Advertisements

Looks like the Warriors found a loop hole to their move to SF....

Warriors ditch Piers 30-32 for Mission Bay arena site - SFGate

By doing this, they don't need voter's approval or votes. They just need to get the construction permits from the city and do other minor tasks. And even though the property isn't as glamorous as the piers 30-32 site, it's a more logical location for traffic flow and parking structures IMO.

My only concern about the move is how the atmosphere at Warrior games in SF going to compare to the Roaracle crowd in Oakland? When they move to SF, are the warrior faithful will spend their time tweeting and facebooking while there's action on the floor? By moving to SF, it's like a major FU to the roaracle faithful IMO. It's not where the fans don't even sell out half of their stadium when the teams are under performing like the Raiders or A's! Out of the three pro teams in Oakland, the Warriors are the one who constantly sell out even if the team was bad.

*please forgive me if this topic belonged to another thread. I didn't see an existing thread for this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 04:38 PM

43 posts, read 107,333 times
Pro sports these days are largely more interested in broadcast rights and branding than fans in seats because that is where most of the money comes from. That's why the 49ers are still "San Francisco." That is why the Anaheim Angels are now "Los Angeles." That's why the New York football teams are called "New York" but play in New Jersey. That's why the Warriors have been "Golden State" but not "Oakland" and "Oakland" is not prominently branded in Raiders apparel. Oakland just doesn't have a strong brand.

"LA", "SF" and "NY" teams bring in significantly more marketing and broadcast revenues than smaller market teams.

Warriors ownership know that there is more money in SF. The hardcore current Warriors will probably stay faithful. If they don't, ownership figures there are plenty of new (wealthier) fans to replace them.

I bet future Warriors games will continue to sell out but the crowds will start looking more like Lakers, Heat and Knicks crowds.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
The Warriors management truly didn't appreciate the good thing they had going. It will fast become a fair-weather fan franchise, unlike the current version when fans come out win or lose. And have been for well more than 20 years.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:14 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times
Welcome back to SF. Woohoo!

Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
I'm glad they'll be away from that part of town (a severe cluster****) and still not too near the Giants, but I am not someone who BARTs to games. I can imagine those folks will be irked. On the contrary, Caltrain looks doable now.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I'm glad they'll be away from that part of town (a severe cluster****) and still not too near the Giants, but I am not someone who BARTs to games. I can imagine those folks will be irked. On the contrary, Caltrain looks doable now.
Now it will suck to BART to games. It is ridiculously convenient now.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:51 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Now it will suck to BART to games. It is ridiculously convenient now.
Will this amplify the resentment toward them for moving out of a sold-out and recently renovated arena in the first place?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 PM

555 posts, read 714,760 times
Quote:
It was 0.8 miles to Caltrain before, now it is 0.7, I think Caltrain was always doable, just BART isn't now. Idk if the T-Third can handle it. Have to see how the VTA light rail handles the Santa Clara stadium.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:37 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Will this amplify the resentment toward them for moving out of a sold-out and recently renovated arena in the first place?
Yes I was wondering if the Warriors organization would explain that. Attendance is and has always been excellent and the venue is like new and is known specifically for their raucous crowds.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:45 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I like this article. Sort of puts things into perspective.

Warriors find they can't beat bay - SFGate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland