Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:14 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha
Ive seen your "7s" and after actually spending time with them one realizes they are actually "3s" with a pretty face, and bad credit.
That makes no sense. But really? I'll give a little and say fine...maybe some in Miami and less so in LA have bad credit, but NYC? Now you're just pulling stuff out of your ***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 09:23 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
That makes no sense. But really? I'll give a little and say fine...maybe some in Miami and less so in LA have bad credit, but NYC? Now you're just pulling stuff out of your ***
In the Bay Area, just being cute isnt enough. That stuff works in LA, Miami and NYC because there are lots of superficial people there. but over here, your T&A better be accompanied by a PhD or MBA to really impress people.

ijs.

Our expectations are just greater. Thats what I noticed having lived in both NY and LA. I was getting hollared at left and right in those cities because I had tan olive skin with green eyes and reddish brown hair. In the Bay, the novelty based on looks wears off much quicker.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:04 PM

I have enough respect that admit that yes, LA is generally less educated than SF. But NYC? Come on! Maybe you were hanging out Staten Island, but in Manhattan the residents are HOT AND smart.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:34 AM

102,180 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
The straight guys are all full of themselves. Lots of ex-frat techies and hipsters. Both known for not being the most down to earth people.
If you don't like techies and hipsters, stop hanging out with them! There's a very wide variety of professions among the male population, and just as wide a variety of personalities. Why is your view so limited? I spend several months/year in the Bay Area, and I don't know ANY techies or hipsters, lol! Different strokes for different folks...

Old 05-10-2014, 12:24 PM

596 posts, read 820,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
In the Bay Area, just being cute isnt enough. That stuff works in LA, Miami and NYC because there are lots of superficial people there. but over here, your T&A better be accompanied by a PhD or MBA to really impress people.

ijs.

Our expectations are just greater. Thats what I noticed having lived in both NY and LA. I was getting hollared at left and right in those cities because I had tan olive skin with green eyes and reddish brown hair. In the Bay, the novelty based on looks wears off much quicker.
Los Angeles probably has a bigger concentration of down-to-earth working class people. San Francisco seems like it is full of "high horse" elitist type people. Even though LA residents are supposedly more superficial, I would think "snobbish and highly educated" is more insufferable, especially on a social level.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:17 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Los Angeles probably has a bigger concentration of down-to-earth working class people. San Francisco seems like it is full of "high horse" elitist type people. Even though LA residents are supposedly more superficial, I would think "snobbish and highly educated" is more insufferable, especially on a social level.
Agreed.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Los Angeles probably has a bigger concentration of down-to-earth working class people.
Only in the Valley and to some extent northeast LA, although that area's getting hipsterized pretty rapidly.

The rest of LA is even worse than SF for bad attitude, which is saying a lot. I don't think there's a single place on the planet where people have worse attitudes and are more full of themselves than LA. Angelenos make Parisians seem warm, friendly, and down to earth. SF's bad, LA's unspeakably bad.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Only in the Valley and to some extent northeast LA, although that area's getting hipsterized pretty rapidly.

The rest of LA is even worse than SF for bad attitude, which is saying a lot. I don't think there's a single place on the planet where people have worse attitudes and are more full of themselves than LA. Angelenos make Parisians seem warm, friendly, and down to earth. SF's bad, LA's unspeakably bad.
I have to ask if you've lived in both. I have. LA is more down to earth. Trust me. First off, I don't speak Chinese so that's a good portion of the city right there I can't even speak to. The Latinos in LA at least know English somewhat. Then the techies. If you're not in tech you don't matter to them. Then the hipsters. If you're not a hipster, you're not accepted into many social circles here. Everyone I know from LA can't wait to go back because people are some of the coldest, rudest, most arrogant, most pretentious, elitist people we've ever been around. I had zero hate for this place before I moved. In fact, I loved it. Then I moved here and met so many people who flat out have no respect or like for. And I've visited and lived in many parts of the world. I can honestly say SF is the one city in the world where I didn't feel welcome. They were nicer to me in Paris than they are here.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:48 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Ouch. I can see truth in this.

Yeah I also wouldnt characterize the residents of either city as warm. So true.

jessemh431 appears to be nostalgic.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:41 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
I have to ask if you've lived in both. I have. LA is more down to earth. Trust me. First off, I don't speak Chinese so that's a good portion of the city right there I can't even speak to. The Latinos in LA at least know English somewhat. Then the techies. If you're not in tech you don't matter to them. Then the hipsters. If you're not a hipster, you're not accepted into many social circles here. Everyone I know from LA can't wait to go back because people are some of the coldest, rudest, most arrogant, most pretentious, elitist people we've ever been around. I had zero hate for this place before I moved. In fact, I loved it. Then I moved here and met so many people who flat out have no respect or like for. And I've visited and lived in many parts of the world. I can honestly say SF is the one city in the world where I didn't feel welcome. They were nicer to me in Paris than they are here.
I've lived in both. Neither one is known for warm, down to earth people. What you say about SF has a lot of truth to it. However, LA is even worse. Choosing between SF and LA is like choosing between Hamas and Al Qaeda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland