Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 02:53 AM

4 posts, read 8,949 times

Advertisements

Hello there. Me and the fiance are planning a move to the Guerneville area, but for work I will have to acquire a solid internet connection to download and upload video/audio. I'm already beginning to think (after reading lots of negative reviews) that a satellite internet provider will not cut it. I had wanted to live just outside town, but have already begun to accept that my need for solid internet access will probably mean that I have to live closer to civilization than I'd hoped.

Can anyone tell me what to expect in the Guerneville/Occidental/Monte Rio/Forestville area, as far as reliable internet service?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,519,900 times
depending on where you live, satellite internet may not be the best solution for you - most of the guerneville/monte rio area is heavily forested. you gotta have a clear view of the skies, kinda hard with all them trees. again, depends on where you live.

whatever you do, stay away from hughesnet - yuck, yuck & triple yuck. i had a VERY bad experience with them & will NEVER recommend them to anyone.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:46 PM

Thanks for your response! I've already read a couple hundred intensely negative reviews of all the satellite providers in the area, especially Hughes.net so I hope to skip the satellite providers. that's why I'm trying to suss out which areas have physical internet connections and which don't.

are you in Guerneville or Monte Rio, and do you have a physical internet connection from either Comcast or Black Mountain or Sonic.net?

thanks!

Old 05-25-2014, 11:54 AM

2,846 posts, read 4,519,900 times
i was born & raised in santa rosa, so i'm familiar with the area you are looking to live in but i know nothing about what internet providers are available as i'm currently living in nevada.

all of my friends/family are still in the santa rosa area & their providers are verizon or sbcglobal, i'm not sure if those reach out to your area ?

personally, i went to college with the owner of sonic & would never purchase a thing from him. i couldn't tell you how well/poor his product is, but his attitude stunk in college.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
personally, i went to college with the owner of sonic & would never purchase a thing from him. i couldn't tell you how well/poor his product is, but his attitude stunk in college.
oh man, this is frustrating to hear. from what I can tell, if I want service in Forestville, Sonic.net is the best option. in fact, I've heard disparaging comments about all the providers in the area except Sonic.net!

well, thank you for sharing your thoughts. this is a tough one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland