Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 03:49 PM

17,484 posts, read 17,344,147 times

Advertisements

Does its citizens and city government leaders still hate the military considering them unwanted and unwelcome intruders to their city? If not, why did you reelect the city leaders who said this during official government meeting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 04:08 AM

14,640 posts, read 14,521,862 times
Because most Berkeley people don't feel the need to kiss the ass of the military-industrial complex. Next question.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:46 PM

702 posts, read 949,100 times
UC Berkeley is the largest employer in the city.

The United States is one of the only first world/Western nations without universal, or heavily subsidized, higher education.

The U.S. military attracts most recruits by dangling a carrot (college money) in front of them.

Most people in the city think that one shouldn't have to fight in a war you don't support just to go to college, in the wealthiest nation on Earth.

The U.S. government can go **** itself.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,478,465 times
Is this a serious question? Berkeley city politics is known for outlandish and irreverent discussions and actions about issues that the city has no ability to impact. Like a good chunk of the citizenry here, I let the hippies and theater majors have their fun because I know they can't hurt anyone with their idealism. Also, our city councilors are elected by district, so the one I vote for is pretty sane. There are a couple districts where I wish I had some influence as a voter because the people they elect are certifiable, but I try not to let it bug me too much.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Is this a serious question? Berkeley city politics is known for outlandish and irreverent discussions and actions about issues that the city has no ability to impact. Like a good chunk of the citizenry here, I let the hippies and theater majors have their fun because I know they can't hurt anyone with their idealism. Also, our city councilors are elected by district, so the one I vote for is pretty sane. There are a couple districts where I wish I had some influence as a voter because the people they elect are certifiable, but I try not to let it bug me too much.
I see by the previous people who responded that the hatred towards the US Military is still alive and well in Berkeley.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:39 PM

702 posts, read 949,100 times
Check your assumptions at the door, please. I'm a veteran of Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, and New Dawn - I served in the Air Force from 2008-2012. I'm currently attending SF State on the Post 9-11 GI Bill. I love our military and the people who serve in it, I just hate our capitalist system that necessitates the poor spend time in the military in order to attain an education. I don't live in Berkeley, but after four years of service to my country, I very much agree with Berkeley's view that recruiting policies are predatory, and that access to higher education should be based on ability alone, not ability-to-pay.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:37 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,478,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I see by the previous people who responded that the hatred towards the US Military is still alive and well in Berkeley.
Because a sample of 2, neither of which are Berkeley residents, is reflective of reality?

Old 05-31-2014, 12:28 AM

14,640 posts, read 14,521,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Since you don't live there, I suppose it affects you very little.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Check your assumptions at the door, please. I'm a veteran of Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, and New Dawn - I served in the Air Force from 2008-2012. I'm currently attending SF State on the Post 9-11 GI Bill. I love our military and the people who serve in it, I just hate our capitalist system that necessitates the poor spend time in the military in order to attain an education. I don't live in Berkeley, but after four years of service to my country, I very much agree with Berkeley's view that recruiting policies are predatory, and that access to higher education should be based on ability alone, not ability-to-pay.
Having served in the military doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't hate the military. I served 8 years in the Navy in Desert Storm and Bosnia. I don't hate the military nor military recruiters. I realize that some recruiters engage in dishonest tactics, but I also realize that not all of them do this. I hated individual officers and enlisted personnel, but I didn't hate the service. The actions of the city council and mayor amount to hatred of the military. The support the mayor and council received from the voters is what told me they shared the views of those elected politicians.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:52 AM

102,066 posts, read 107,036,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Since you don't live there, I suppose it affects you very little.
lol!

YES--E. Warren in 2016!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland