Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 03:44 PM

5 posts, read 6,626 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Are there any parents or teachers with feedback on Abbott Middle School in San Mateo? We have been house hunting on the peninsula and found houses and neighborhoods we like in San Mateo. When cross checking the address with school boundaries, while the elementary schools are rated 7’s, the middle school is Abbott which is rated a 5. Do parents go private for middle school? Is this school safe? There must be more to this school than just the number.

I have the same question about Sequoia High school. Is there really gang activity as this post suggested?
San Carlos High School safe? vs. Carlmont in Belmont

FWIW, my kid is 5.

Thanks for any insight!
S.K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 05:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,300,521 times
You do realize of course that you are talking two completely different areas, I presume. Abbott feeds into Hillsdale High, which is part of the San Mateo HSD. Further up the hill from there you lapse into Belmont and hence, Ralston Middle feeding into Carlmont High, which is part of the Sequoia HSD (but a completely different HS from the district's namesake school, in more ways than one). Then the next bit to the south, past central San Carlos, takes you into areas that feed into Sequoia High.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:57 PM

Yes, sorry for the confusion. We're looking at homes from Millbrae to San Carlos in "good" school districts and finding the homes we like (well, really the homes we can afford) have schools that don't have the high numbers. I don't expect or deserve a 10, but Abbott being a 5 seems very low.

Belmont has great schools from k-12, but the homes we can afford have some qualities we do not like. In San Carlos, the homes we can barely afford feed into Sequoia, so I thought I'd ask about that school, too.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:06 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,295,514 times
While Abbott has a scores of 5, they actually have an API very close to 800. It's not a failing school. The scores are what they are due to the fact that they have a high percentage of students who speak English as a second language. If you want to look further into Abbott (or any other school) check out dataquest.com , it is much more detailed than other websites.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
If you want to look further into Abbott (or any other school) check out dataquest.com , it is much more detailed than other websites.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 05-29-2014, 12:40 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,019,349 times
My kids went to Abbott and now are at Hillsdale High.
I can tell you that is is not a bad school academically as long as both the parent and student are focused and not delegate too much to the teachers. Racially, it is a very diverse (great for us!) and we've had no atypical issues to complain about (the usual thefts and such).

In San Mateo, Borel Middle school is a good middle school and feeds into Aragon or Hillsdale.

In Belmont, I'd recommend Tierra Linda Middle school.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:15 AM

163 posts, read 271,850 times
I'm not a parent but have had the chance to work with students of at Sequioa High and withe the community (worked at a retail store in the area)

I would not recommend it all as their priorities seemed skewed. I don't blame the kids, it's the parents in the community. They just don't care about education as much as they should. Even if you are a parent who likes to encourage education, etc I don't think it's a great idea to have you children exposed to other kids who don't have the drive to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland