Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:52 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,858 times

Advertisements

I like twitter as far as some of my favorite musicians or actors.... I'll pop on for 5 minutes and see what they are posting.... but I don't understand why people who aren't famous have accounts or try to get people to follow them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:17 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Oh, look.

Multiple Top Executives Leaving Twitter, Stock Price Plummets: SFist

Old 06-14-2014, 04:44 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
What a dumb thing, Twitter. It's only use seems to be in fomenting revolutions in developing countries. It could maybe be funded by the Department of State.
Even from the first day I heard of it, I never understood what the deal was. Why would anyone want to use this nonsense? I figured I must just be too old.

Eventually, I came to figure it had some use for certain celebrity figures and businesses - a food truck, for instance, that announces its specials and locations on a closer to real time basis.

But I never figured out why I should use it. My life is not that fascinating on a daily basis. What the hell am I going to tweet? "Just ate lunch, everybody! Now it's time to finish up that spreadsheet!" I could already waste my time like that on Facebook, where I'm not limited to however many characters.

I personally think that the more people use all this hyper-connected nonsense, the more it paradoxically tends to be a symptom of loneliness. We're all so connected, and yet anti-depressant use is through the roof. The people who know me and who I care about already know what's going on in my life without something like Twitter.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 AM

486 posts, read 832,395 times
Twitter always seamed redundant to me. How is it different then facebook.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:14 PM

864 posts, read 799,817 times
All the Bay Area social media companies are circling the drain. Facebook is profitable but way below expectations in term of monetization percentage of its base users, and it was recently revealed that their advertising algorithm is just one huge scam.

Twitter, what do they sell again?

Old 06-16-2014, 09:56 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
So you guys haven't participated in @hiddencash??
Shorting twitter, you mean?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
I'm like others in that I never understood Twitter. Facebook has been great for me at 50 years old to reconnect with high school classmates and keep track of friends and family, but do you seriously need to know when someone gets a hair cut as a previous poster alluded to? I don't care if it dies or not, but I won't ever miss it if it does.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:12 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Even from the first day I heard of it, I never understood what the deal was. Why would anyone want to use this nonsense? I figured I must just be too old.

Eventually, I came to figure it had some use for certain celebrity figures and businesses - a food truck, for instance, that announces its specials and locations on a closer to real time basis.

But I never figured out why I should use it. My life is not that fascinating on a daily basis. What the hell am I going to tweet? "Just ate lunch, everybody! Now it's time to finish up that spreadsheet!" I could already waste my time like that on Facebook, where I'm not limited to however many characters.

I personally think that the more people use all this hyper-connected nonsense, the more it paradoxically tends to be a symptom of loneliness. We're all so connected, and yet anti-depressant use is through the roof. The people who know me and who I care about already know what's going on in my life without something like Twitter.

Lol this echoes a lot of my feelings on Twitter.....
I can't relate to people who truly think they're important or
interesting enough to tweet everything they do, lol
Fakebook as well.....
That's why I don't have one.
Why in the Hell would I want to know what someone ate for lunch, or care about their political rants?
Honestly the narcissism of it all appalls me.
On top of that, my life really is that interesting to many people I know IRL;
I've got people who tell me all the time I need to either write my book or get some kind of reality show
The book is realistically the better option

I agree w/ the bolded, too-
Very true

Old 06-20-2014, 07:15 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Is the beginning of the much-hoped-for tech bust, or just an indication of the fact that no one quite seems to know what Twitter is for?

Twitter’s in Trouble. Here’s How It Can Avoid Becoming the Next AOL | Business | WIRED

I hope so, and I hope it sucks Facebook down with it.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 597 times
Nodpete you beat me to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland