Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 08:22 PM

153 posts, read 220,358 times

Advertisements

I swear more people used to post on this site than do now. I guess people only chat with loud trolls these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 08:59 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times
ender554- are you seeking a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom fro $2,300?

Old 06-14-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender554 View Post
I swear more people used to post on this site than do now. I guess people only chat with loud trolls these days.
The weather is nice today in the Bay Area- hot and sunny- plus it is Father's Day weekend. Everyone is out having fun, hence slow responses to your inquiry.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:41 PM

379 posts, read 785,794 times
In SF, your best bet at that budget would be to rent an in-law unit with full use of a yard. You find these most often in places like the Sunset, Richmond, and Outer Sunset. Maybe Glen Park as well. These are quieter neighborhoods with less happening in them but will have the most space for your dog. In the Richmond / Sunset in particular you're near Ocean Beach which your dog should love.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
ender554- are you seeking a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom fro $2,300?

Of course I would prefer larger but I can live with 1 bedroom. I plan on being a renter about 5 years then I should by then have a better wage and a savings near 80k. I am an Econ/Math double major planning on going in to actuarial work.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
The weather is nice today in the Bay Area- hot and sunny- plus it is Father's Day weekend. Everyone is out having fun, hence slow responses to your inquiry.
Isn't the weather always nice there maybe it just feels it coming from here where it was 110 today. Couldn't get me outside for a free car.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLover View Post
In SF, your best bet at that budget would be to rent an in-law unit with full use of a yard. You find these most often in places like the Sunset, Richmond, and Outer Sunset. Maybe Glen Park as well. These are quieter neighborhoods with less happening in them but will have the most space for your dog. In the Richmond / Sunset in particular you're near Ocean Beach which your dog should love.

What are your thoughts on the west SF areas you mentioned vs areas in Oakland like Grand Lakes Rockridge or Temescal? I am of course realistic to the fact that I am not living in central SF in my price range but I would like to be as close to some entertainment as possible.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:28 PM

well looks like 2300 in city center witha dog isn't impossible.. Of course there is no yard but still

Great 1 Bedroom in historic building

Old 06-14-2014, 11:31 PM

I should mention I could consider San Jose as an option too I just know so much less about it. Does it have a night-life? I do love hockey so there is that.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender554 View Post
Of course I would prefer larger but I can live with 1 bedroom. I plan on being a renter about 5 years then I should by then have a better wage and a savings near 80k. I am an Econ/Math double major planning on going in to actuarial work.
Here is an article on what you can get in SF that might be of interest to you. All but one allow no pets- but at least you can get an idea of what your budget is likely to afford:

What $2,300/Month Rents You in San Francisco - Curbed Comparisons - Curbed SF

Unless being able to say you lived in SF for a period of time is important to you, I recommend looking at neighborhoods in Oakland near transit. You will get much more for your money and Oakland is becoming a really exciting and fun place to be right now.

The reality is that by the time you save enough money to buy a place, you will likely be unable to afford anywhere in SF or Oakland. 5 years is a long time for the property values to go way, way up.

The better strategy is as soon as you are secure in your job and saved up something, buy any sort of property you can. It will not be your dream home, but it is to get your foot in the door. Buy it in an up and coming neighborhood, ride the property value increase upwards. Then later, as you gain equity you can then upgrade to a better place. Your salary is never going to keep up with how fast home prices are appreciating in the Bay Area and California. The only hope of ever owning a home here is to buy something and build the equity over time riding the home price increases upwards and not having it work against you.

Make sure to buy only a place you can afford though and in a neighborhood that is up and coming. It will not be your dream home and it will be dumpy- but at least you will have your foot in the door. If you do not do this as soon as you are reasonably able to, you will have a hard time continuing to live here in the long run. You will get priced out and no salary raises will keep up. You may have to move to a very suburban car-centric undesirable outer lying area or leave California state altogether and move to Portland, OR or something like that. You either buy property early or you strike it rich.

The way things are, I doubt you will ever be able to afford any property in SF (unless you become rich), and as you home shop there you will feel you are short changed. Your best chance at urban living in the Bay Area is Oakland. That is getting pricey now too- but there are still opportunities for home ownership in certain areas.

Live in Oakland- enjoy it- that will also give you insight into different neighborhoods and on the ground knowledge of what you like and what is the next hot hood. Then you will know where to buy property.

Take BART into SF to enjoy on the weekends or once in awhile. Enjoy SF but come home to Oakland.

SF leads the country in home prices gains:

http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/20...ns/#23819101=0

One more thing- you can try to wait for the current tech bubble to burst but there is no guarantee home prices will drop that much if and when it does. Home prices didn't dip that much after the first tech bubble ended. Also, if there are a few large solid companies that emerge out of this current tech boom, even if the others fold, home prices are likely to remain stable as those companies continue to expand.

Oakland neighborhoods:

Adams Point
Grand Lake
Lakeshore
Uptown
Downtown
Chinatown
Temescal
Rockridge (expensive? though I personally don't like it that much)
parts of West Oakland (but air quality isn't good)
Jack London Square (expensive)
Piedmont Avenue area (not to be confused with Piedmont City)

Weather:

San Francisco has beautiful vistas, stunning scenery and fog phenomenon, but can get windy for half the year, cold and July is a terrible month

Oakland - called the sunny side of the bay, warmer and more stable weather

Last edited by mini_cute; 06-14-2014 at 11:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland