Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:46 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivingmenuts32 View Post
Seriously, I would take a county job if I could live in SLO. But I see being young and single, there are a lot more options in bay area. Find some good roommates and move there together. My sis lived in San Mateo for a while, I don't know anything about PH. She ended up in the city, as did all of her friends.
It's hard to get a county job these days and they aren't as a great as they used to be. You also have to start at a non profit job to get into a county job.

Having a Whole Foods or Sprout's and Trader Joe's is a minimum for me. After that, I'm not sure what I want anymore....

I used to think having a large university in a city or town was nice, but now that's not as important to me. I definitely don't want to live in Fresno, Bakersfield, Sacramento, Stockton, or Modesto or anywhere close to those. I'm always surprised when I hear some one takes a job in one of those areas. I'd rather be in a less desirable community in the Bay Area or So Cal than be in the San Joaquin Valley.

I'm less attracted to Santa Cruz, Monterey, Chico, Davis, and San Luis Obispo. More attracted to Goleta, Ventura, and South Bay.

In October, I think I will have a stronger sense of where I feel I will belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 11:41 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Alone, a BA sociology career, I am looking at topping at $50,000-$60,000. If I want a house, I'd need a spouse also earning similar income as well.
I bought a house on that income, alone, in Tulare County. If you want affordable, I suggest you look anywhere between Modesto & Bakersfield.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:44 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Yeah, I got offered a job today in social services. I just don't think I can go into social services anymore. Especially when I got offered a job doing recruiting and I can make more money. Too many red flags I saw today.

But now I don't even know where I want to live. I'm going to start off near home, but from there....So Cal, Nor Cal, somewhere else?
How many jobs have you now turned down? in how many other cities?

Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Not as much as you would think. Cal Poly is still a CSU and local connections made at Bay Area universities are tend to trump those from non-local ones. To think that you are on the same level as Berkeley and Stanford grads shows some naiveté, but if you were at the top of your class, with honors, etc you shouldn't have to worry too much wherever you go.
Nonsense. Cal Poly SLO is very reputable, especially in the tech field. It's actually one of the most selective CSUs, accepting just 31% of its applicants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland