Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:06 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Don't ask personal question on this forum and focus on contributing something useful to the discussion.
You were remarking about the "anti-kid vibe" you felt as a reason to move away from the Bay Area and "stink eye" at restaurants, "no eye contact in public," etc. I was just wondering if that was based in experience or something you concocted in your own mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 01:10 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Don't ask personal question on this forum and focus on contributing something useful to the discussion.
Ok.

So: you don't have kids, I guess.

Not a question.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:57 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
When we retire we are out of here unless we encounter a windfall prior to then.
i'M with you 100% all the way and probably right behind you too.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:09 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
i'M with you 100% all the way and probably right behind you too.
Agree...who would want to retire in a state with these tax laws?
  • Although Social Security benefits are exempt, all other forms of retirement income are fully taxed.
  • California residents pay the highest income taxes in the U.S.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
It cant be worse than the Bay Area.
Oh it's not but it is bad. Portland isn't very large yet it can take 45 minutes to drive though it at times.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
  • Although Social Security benefits are exempt, all other forms of retirement income are fully taxed.
I didn't know California residents pay the highest income taxes in the US. I know we pay for everything else at highest cost. I am not retired yet but there is some time left to plan.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:33 PM

44 posts, read 73,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's insane, isn't it? People keep saying the rental market has to "drop," but does it really? If so, when do you predict that will happen? I'm desperate to get out of San Jose (just not my cup of tea), but whenever I search Craigslist I get more & more discouraged... the prices seem to go up every month, and dog-friendly rentals are even harder to find at "affordable" rates. I hate being stuck in a town I don't love.

I know the feeling. I am lucky to be able to live in SF, but I can't really afford it anymore. Especially when I still have a little tiny bit of college left at an insanely expensive private university here.(great education, but should have thought out my finances more before accepting my admission offer a few years ago) My scholarship only goes so far...so I live in a pretty rundown part of town with a lot of homeless and it's pretty filthy..I honestly hate it to the point that it has been distracting my studies. There's always something bad happening whenever I step outside. I try to stay at my girlfriend's place whenever I can to minimize the time spent in my own neighborhood. I figured If I looked outside of the city and commuted I would find cheaper and cleaner areas..as that seems to be the case around most U.S. cities. Cleaner is definitely found in most areas..but rents are honestly the same or nearly the same pretty much everywhere in the bay area now. It's pretty discouraging when not only can you not afford to live somewhere safe, but there is such low inventory everywhere. So yeah, I know what you mean by feeling stuck someplace you definitely don't love.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

Ok I see it is a fact for retirement. Thanks for that info

Income Tax Rates By State 2014 - Tax-Rates.org

Old 06-23-2014, 12:29 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You were remarking about the "anti-kid vibe" you felt as a reason to move away from the Bay Area and "stink eye" at restaurants, "no eye contact in public," etc. I was just wondering if that was based in experience or something you concocted in your own mind.
I don't have to elaborate anything and those are personal experiences. The anti-kid vibe of SF is very well documented and widely discussed online. Not to mention the city is also known for having the lowest % of kids among any major US cities. And good chunk of people who live here equate having a dog with a having a kid and the sheer stupidity of that idea is just astounding. Add on top of that unaffordable/unavailable childcare, miserable public schools and lack of safe outdoor space for kids etc. and you have a very very kid unfriendly environment. I am not making this up... SF city officials also routinely state these as the biggest challenge for the community here. Get our of your russian hill bubble and smell the coffee! Also cutting down on alcohol helps the brain perceive reality better

Old 06-23-2014, 12:36 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Also cutting down on alcohol helps the brain perceive reality better
Is that based on your personal experience, or something you concocted in your own mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland