U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:26 PM

108 posts, read 121,193 times

Advertisements

I am trying to amass a list of Black Gay Establishments of the past, PRIOR TO 1990. The white gay experience is often written about but not much Black Gay History in this country is known. If you know or have the names, addresses, pictures or ANY OTHER information about Black Gay Clubs, Bars, Lounges, Bath-Houses, Theaters or ANYTHING ELSE...PLEASE LIST THEM IF YOU DON'T MIND.

Where are/were the Black Gay communities in your town?

Anything prior to 1990, although current establishments would be welcome also.

I would definitely appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 11:51 AM

9,033 posts, read 8,168,715 times
The best-known one in the Castro, and perhaps all of SF, was the Pendulum. It closed in 2005 after the property owner, the widely loathed neighborhood RE speculator Les Natali, declared that it needed to be "renovated" and ended up leasing it to another group that now operates the Toad Hall bar there.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The best-known one in the Castro, and perhaps all of SF, was the Pendulum. It closed in 2005 after the property owner, the widely loathed neighborhood RE speculator Les Natali, declared that it needed to be "renovated" and ended up leasing it to another group that now operates the Toad Hall bar there.

You said "best-known", are there ANY others? From what I have read online that was the ONLY one?

Please tell me that Oakland has black gay clubs or I will jump off a bridge? (LOL)

I was shocked that someone says that Los Angeles...the second most populated city in this country also ONLY HAS ONE.

Please tell me Oakland has 100?!

Old 06-23-2014, 01:46 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,874,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonnorman1814 View Post
You said "best-known", are there ANY others? From what I have read online that was the ONLY one?

Please tell me that Oakland has black gay clubs or I will jump off a bridge? (LOL)

I was shocked that someone says that Los Angeles...the second most populated city in this country also ONLY HAS ONE.

Please tell me Oakland has 100?!
It may be that such establishments are "on the down low", because being openly gay still *isn't* tolerated among many African Americans (relative to other ethnics):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down-low_(sexual_slang)

Old 06-23-2014, 01:48 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,168,715 times
There are a number of gay clubs in Oakland, but from what little I know about them, they're ethnically mixed -- as is Oakland itself.

And I don't know whether any of them was around before 1990. I imagine so, but maybe someone with local knowledge could chime in.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:33 PM

1,901 posts, read 2,375,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonnorman1814 View Post
I am trying to amass a list of Black Gay Establishments of the past, PRIOR TO 1990. The white gay experience is often written about but not much Black Gay History in this country is known. If you know or have the names, addresses, pictures or ANY OTHER information about Black Gay Clubs, Bars, Lounges, Bath-Houses, Theaters or ANYTHING ELSE...PLEASE LIST THEM IF YOU DON'T MIND.

Where are/were the Black Gay communities in your town?

Anything prior to 1990, although current establishments would be welcome also.

I would definitely appreciate it.
- I remember how many people in the black community thought the AIDS crisis was absolutely hilarious when it was mostly white gay men dying of AIDS in the 1980s.

- I remember how black people voted overwhelmingly for Proposition 8 in 2008, while voting for Barack Obama. It was one more slap at the gay population, which the black community views as a "white/latino/asian thing".

- I remember hearing, very recently, that black pastors were telling their black congregations that gay white men were trying to seduce their black sons, husbands and brothers into homosexuality.

Not what you wanted to hear? ...Oh, sorry

Old 06-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Status: "Free Tommy Robinson before he is killed" (set 1 day ago)

8,479 posts, read 6,263,338 times
I know we are not on that topic, but since you brought it up...How about politicians, clergy, and even newspapers in African countries telling Africans that homosexuality is a Western disorder? And let's not even get on the subject of Jamaica and their treatment of gays. I will never step foot in that country and feed them my money with their ultra macho hatred of "batty boys". Time to call if out for what it is.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:43 PM

1,901 posts, read 2,375,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I know we are not on that topic, but since you brought it up...How about pastors, politicians clergy, and even newspapers in African countries telling Africans that homosexuality is a Western disorder? And let's not even get on the subject of Jamaica and their treatment of gays. I will never step foot in that country and feed them my money with their ultra macho hatred of "batty boys". Time to call if out for what it is.
Thank You!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:48 PM

3,866 posts, read 7,338,595 times
I don't recall any gay bars specifically catered for black people in Oakland, but I recall the White Horse Bar as being VERY diverse as far as gay bars go for the time (80's-90's).

Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I don't recall any gay bars specifically catered for black people in Oakland, but I recall the White Horse Bar as being VERY diverse as far as gay bars go for the time (80's-90's).

I have enough experience with message boards to know to ignore the ignorance so I will move past that!

I will check out what I can find about the White Horse Bar as I read something about that somewhere else.

Thanks pch1013 and clongirl for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or