Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 10:41 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,495 times

Advertisements

Hello --

I am a freelance writer from So. Cal who, periodically, accepts long-term house-and-pet-sitting assignments up here in San Francisco. Since June 13, I have been house-sitting in Westwood Highlands, a really nice, upscale neighborhood. I was recently contacted by a family in Potrero Hill that would like to use my services for 3 weeks in July. I met with the family last night ( a very nice family) at their apartment in Potrero. And I have to say, after checking out the area, I am a little hesitant to accept the assignment.

They live in a nice apartment complex right on the corner of 26th St. and Wisconsin St. The complex itself is very nice and modern, but the surrounding area leaves a lot to be desired. Wisconsin St. basically separates a nice, newer section of Potrero from a dirtier, run-down section that is home to a large project. This project is literally a stone's throw away from where I would be staying. And worse yet, on top of Wisconsin St., there are more projects.

Granted, this section of Potrero is not nearly as run-down or trashy as the Tenderloin or parts of the Mission, but it's not a very inviting part of town. So far, I have house/pet-sat three times in San Francisco; once at Park Merced, once in Bernal Heights (St. Mary's Park), and currently at Westwood Highlands. And I have to say, none of those areas concerned me as much as this potential assignment in Potrero. Being from So. Cal, I am no stranger to bad neighborhoods -- I have been in plenty -- I have just never stayed in one for any length of time.

Any thoughts? Is that section of Potrero Hill (26th/Wisconsin) a bad, high-crime area?

Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 08:48 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,343 times
I haven't been in that area for many years so it may have changed tremendously. I felt it was safe then but if you are concerned, maybe you should pass it up? It's terrible to stay indoors because you're afraid to go out or are afraid to sleep properly. Crooks notice when you're scared. They have radar for that. I personally think that you have to have your wits about you anywhere.
I stayed in a run down motel on 16th St for a week and that week was long. I'd never do it again. But I thought Potrero was a step up from that. Maybe others here can give some more up to date info.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I haven't been in that area for many years so it may have changed tremendously. I felt it was safe then but if you are concerned, maybe you should pass it up? It's terrible to stay indoors because you're afraid to go out or are afraid to sleep properly. Crooks notice when you're scared. They have radar for that. I personally think that you have to have your wits about you anywhere.
I stayed in a run down motel on 16th St for a week and that week was long. I'd never do it again. But I thought Potrero was a step up from that. Maybe others here can give some more up to date info.
Thanks for your input, MaggieZ. Yeah, I'm leaning towards saying 'NO' to the assignment. Because, as you stated, it's not good to spend a large chunk of time in an area that makes one uncomfortable or on edge. I like being able to sleep well at night, or being able to simply go out and walk around without fear of getting mugged or hassled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland