Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:35 PM

596 posts, read 818,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Considering SF and its surrounding region is wealthier, better educated, more cultured, more sophisticated, more diverse and far more elegant than just about anywhere, please inform 'the rest of the nation' that we barely acknowledge their existence, let alone care about their toothless, inbred chuckles.

Just continue buying and using our technology and step aside while we continue to innovate the world.

The pleasure of your departure is entirely mine, rest assured.
San Francisco is so sophisticated with its homeless culture and the new "freegans" that are emerging. I wouldn't be so cocky when it comes to the "sophistication" of your city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 01:45 PM

36,644 posts, read 67,325,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
San Francisco is so sophisticated with its homeless culture and the new "freegans" that are emerging. I wouldn't be so cocky when it comes to the "sophistication" of your city.
What cocky? I'm simply reporting facts.

The Bay Area is quite possibly, the closest to perfect metro area that exists anywhere in the world.

Every single cateory, from economic strength and dynamism, to educational attainment, to diversity, hell, even when talking about weather, recreation and natural setting-the Bay is among the best in all of those categories.

Phoenix doesnt even exist by comparison.

At all.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:44 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,306,701 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? As far back as income statistics go, SF has been one of the wealthiest cities in the country and has had serious cultural amenities since the gold rush, serving a large concentration of socialites and well-to-do , swank crowd.

Like any other city, there are working class people but to liken SF to Cleveland and imply that Phoenix is somehow more upscale, which is what I was responding to, is preposterous.

SF's level of sophistication makes Phoenix look trailer parkish and Cleveland look thirdworldish.
Sure, SF always had a wealthy class and wealthy areas, but it also had a very large working class living in blue collar areas, areas that occupied huge chunks of SF proper. My comment was in rebuttal to your statement that SF was always this hip, trendy, upscale city: in pockets, sure; but it would be false to claim SF as a whole was like that.
And all this talk about sophistication: does something magical happen when one crosses the SF city limits? Does an average Joe or Jane automatically become more urbane, cultured, and cosmopolitan when standing on San Francisco soil and breathing San Francisco air?

Old 07-19-2014, 05:10 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,306,701 times
Quote:
Considering SF and its surrounding region is wealthier, better educated, more cultured, more sophisticated, more diverse and far more elegant than just about anywhere, please inform 'the rest of the nation' that we barely acknowledge their existence, let alone care about their toothless, inbred chuckles.

Just continue buying and using our technology and step aside while we continue to innovate the world.

The pleasure of your departure is entirely mine, rest assured.
Author Danielle Steele sold her PAC Heights mansion and moved to Paris, where she feels the people and culture are more sophisticated than in SF. She said she was tired of living in a city (San Francisco) populated by people who dressed as if they were always going camping.

Her description.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:12 PM

Incorrect^

Every large US city has a 'working class element', but SF has an upper class that far outstrips nearly every other US city as far as power, affluence and overall cosmopolitanism.

And this is not new btw. SF has had socialites and business tycoons since the Gold Rush, when Phoenix was a dusty, scarcely inhabited, uncivilized valley.

No city in the west has as much multi generational wealth as SF.

The tech crowd is just a continuation of the wealth and power SF already had.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Author Danielle Steele sold her PAC Heights mansion and moved to Paris, where she feels the people and culture are more sophisticated than in SF. She said she was tired of living in a city (San Francisco) populated by people who dressed as if they were always going camping.

Her description.
Haha she didnt sell her house, but nice try.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 PM

596 posts, read 818,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Sure, SF always had a wealthy class and wealthy areas, but it also had a very large working class living in blue collar areas, areas that occupied huge chunks of SF proper. My comment was in rebuttal to your statement that SF was always this hip, trendy, upscale city: in pockets, sure; but it would be false to claim SF as a whole was like that.
And all this talk about sophistication: does something magical happen when one crosses the SF city limits? Does an average Joe or Jane automatically become more urbane, cultured, and cosmopolitan when standing on San Francisco soil and breathing San Francisco air?
No, you have to join the freegans and start eating out of dumpsters. You also have to witness a grown man or woman take a dump on the street or sidewalk. Only then will you become more urbane and cultured, and start to feel the sophistication of the city.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:57 PM

^Dumpsters in SF probably serve better food than restaurants in Phoenix. I wouldnt be surprised.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:23 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,876,944 times
Quote:
Yeah, I didnt read past the first few lines and certainly didnt watch the vid. **Yawns**

Why you continue to blather on about plain and forgettable Cleveland and Phoenix versus a lofty Olympus such as SF is by comparison, is beyond me.

I mean, I dont know which new chain store opened up there that has you feeling all uppity but you should probably take a chill pill cause your not changing anyone's mind in this thread.

Fyi.
Yes, the nouveau-rich, ultra-smug, badly-overpriced Frisco, where 800K will get you a squat 2 BR bungalow that's seen better days...

Old 07-19-2014, 09:26 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,876,944 times
Quote:
What cocky? I'm simply reporting facts.

The Bay Area is quite possibly, the closest to perfect metro area that exists anywhere in the world.

Every single cateory, from economic strength and dynamism, to educational attainment, to diversity, hell, even when talking about weather, recreation and natural setting-the Bay is among the best in all of those categories.

Phoenix doesnt even exist by comparison.

At all.
"Expensive" is not the quivalent of "perfect".

It just might be the opposite, though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland