U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,099 times

Advertisements

HI this question is directed toward North Bay(sf bay area) area residents or Solano county residents...

Here is my situation:

Next year in the summer of 2015 i will be relocating from the Sacramento area to the North Bay or Solano County area. I need some feedback on which of the following cities will be a better fit for me to commute from to the Santa Rosa Jr College (Santa Rosa , CA) area . Here are the cities I've narrowed my search to Vallejo, Fairfield, Vacaville, Petaluma, Novato, Napa, San Rafael, or Santa Rosa its self.

1.Which city has affordable apartments?? (like under $1000 for one bedroom or a studio apt)
2.Which city is more commuter friendly/ under an hour commute to Santa Rosa Jr college or at least no more than an hour and ten minutes away?(this question applies to the other cities besides Santa Rosa itself)
3.Which city has a lower crime rate?
4. Which city has more jobs?
5. Which city has more entertainment options such as dining, nightlife,shopping, concert arenas etc?
6. Which city is more near a major city or is a major city itself?
7.which city is more diverse racially( i am an African American young woman)?
8.which city has an overall better quality of life for a young adult just starting out ?

Is Vallejo really a bad place to live, on other threads I've noticed crime mentioned a lot.. are there any nice areas ?

how is the north bay compared to Sacramento? faster pace of living or the same?

P.S. I only plan on staying in the North Bay area for about two-three years max just for school and then relocate again to orange county,ca... so i basically just need a city with basic amenities that is affordable and somewhat safe and not too far from fun or school... please give me some advice on the cities mentioned above or if you know of a city not mentioned that would be beneficial to me. go ahead and feel free to let me know!

thanks a bunch
god bless...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 AM

6 posts, read 8,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccollegestudent1 View Post
HI this question is directed toward North Bay(sf bay area) area residents or Solano county residents...

Here is my situation:

Next year in the summer of 2015 i will be relocating from the Sacramento area to the North Bay or Solano County area. I need some feedback on which of the following cities will be a better fit for me to commute from to the Santa Rosa Jr College (Santa Rosa , CA) area . Here are the cities I've narrowed my search to Vallejo, Fairfield, Vacaville, Petaluma, Novato, Napa, San Rafael, or Santa Rosa its self.
H
1.Which city has affordable apartments?? (like under $1000 for one bedroom or a studio apt)
2.Which city is more commuter friendly/ under an hour commute to Santa Rosa Jr college or at least no more than an hour and ten minutes away?(this question applies to the other cities besides Santa Rosa itself)
3.Which city has a lower crime rate?
4. Which city has more jobs?
5. Which city has more entertainment options such as dining, nightlife,shopping, concert arenas etc?
6. Which city is more near a major city or is a major city itself?
7.which city is more diverse racially( i am an African American young woman)?
8.which city has an overall better quality of life for a young adult just starting out ?

Is Vallejo really a bad place to live, on other threads I've noticed crime mentioned a lot.. are there any nice areas ?

how is the north bay compared to Sacramento? faster pace of living or the same?

P.S. I only plan on staying in the North Bay area for about two-three years max just for school and then relocate again to orange county,ca... so i basically just need a city with basic amenities that is affordable and somewhat safe and not too far from fun or school... please give me some advice on the cities mentioned above or if you know of a city not mentioned that would be beneficial to me. go ahead and feel free to let me know!

thanks a bunch
god bless...
The closest and most convenient would be closest cities to the 101 corridor. San Rafael, Novato, Petaluma are good but only Petaluma might have places to rent near 1000$ month and you'd be lucky to have it. Forget Napa, Vallejo, Vacaville, Fairfield especially if you get carsick easily or don't have a platinum gas card and over 1 hour to kill both ways daily. I commuted from Napa and the drive to Santa Rosa got old fast. I think the best place would be Santa Rosa it's a great city and has the most housing units to rent to students already. Btw all these places are great places to live if you can afford to. Vallejo has disproportionally high crime but I love the place and it's kinda like the hub between the other cities mentioned.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,099 times
thank you for the reply Killb8.....

i will look into petaluma or santa rosa!

Old 08-11-2014, 04:38 PM

45 posts, read 55,548 times
Yea I commuted to Santa Rosa for a bit and to San rafael the least it ever took was 1 hour. But I do like vallejo has alot to offer and in the middle of everything.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:58 AM

880 posts, read 704,209 times
I recommend Santa Rosa itself, or if that is not to your liking for some reason, then possibly Petaluma. The other towns near Santa Rosa (Rohnert Park, etc.) won't check everything off your list. Far-flung towns like San Rafael and Vallejo simply aren't worth the commute (and price in San Rafael's case and seediness in Vallejo's case) considering you get comparable or better amenities in Santa Rosa or Petaluma.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:38 PM

18,666 posts, read 25,856,881 times
Hey, amazing breakthrough!

The city with the best commute, is the one that is your destination!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland