Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 05:57 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times

Advertisements

I'm a longtime SF bay resident who has spent the last 10 years being disgusted with the housing market and opting to rent instead. I'm now in a position to possibly buy my first home, and surprisingly, one of the most realistic options I have to land something is in San Francisco. There are several BMR units available through a city program near the corner of Fillmore and Fulton. I did a quick drive through today and it looked like a nice, clean area without any of the obvious red flags. It's on the edge of the Fillmore bordering Alamo Square and Hayes Valley, close to Fell/Oak for access to 101. (I have job sites in the East Bay and Peninsula which are not accessible by public transit.)

There are resale restrictions, but with how much cheaper it is to buy these condos than to rent or pay market prices, I'm willing to give up the prospect of high appreciation and invest the rest of my money in other ways. I mean, there's a 1 bedroom condo a few blocks away going for literally 3 times the price, and the typical rental there is $3K+ which is double what I pay in San Jose, but I would still be looking at a lower outlay than I'm paying now. And I'd be in an area where once I get home, I can walk around to do errands and get food instead of driving miles to get anywhere. That's pretty attractive no matter how you slice it.

The other reason why the Fillmore stands out to me is because of the cultural aspect. I'm a classically trained pianist and experiencing different kinds of music and art is actually kind of important to me; I have friends in the city who live in bland places like SoMa and Twin Peaks, and that doesn't really appeal to me. Has the culture of the Fillmore gotten completely neutered out of the area through gentrification (idiots blasting teeny-bop hip-hop who think they're cool), or is there still some flavor?

And what is it like on the ground? I get the impression this isn't the rough part of the Fillmore.

Last edited by sonarrat; 07-13-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland