Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:37 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Keep in mind that their are probably a fair number of residents of SF that have been long term tenants of a rent controlled apartment. So, somebody making $45K - $50k can get by pretty good in SF if they are in that situation......downside is they likely can never afford to move, unless they leave SF.
I have lived in SF since 1989. My current rent on a one bedroom apt with garage parking in the Outer Richmond Dist is $945 a month. Nice neighborhood, except for lack of sunny days
Puts it in perspective. In 1989, $945 a month must have seemed demented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermesyheracles View Post
Thank you for the opinions.
I have to say that I am very excited about moving to the area in just a few days, but it´s very sad (sometimes a little scary) to read so many people saying that life in SF make us teachers or people not making more than 50K miserables...
I guess we can always get better payed but, money is not everything in this world... I do think SF has a lot to offer, and the worst idea is to spend our time inside our rooms! Don´t you think?
Of course I appreciate housing quality (here in Europe I own two houses), but a "nice house" is not what I am looking for in SF. I am looking for the city social experience, cultural exchange, international improvement of my CV, etc. So I try to resist to believe that SF is that horrible hell for teachers as so many people around here say... Or you really think it is?
I do understand the family point of view, that would change everything for me, but I am not in that position right now.
More impressions?
Thank you!
That income will make you qualified for cities subsidized/affordable home ownership programs. There are usually long backlog for affordable housing but if you can get one of the BMR units then you won the lottery i.e. unless you have kids and their education/safety take priority over city living.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,566 times
$50K a year is NOT poverty.

Just because you can't buy your own monolithic house does not make impoverished.

At $50k you can have a nice apartment, a car, and a vacation to Europe once a year or so.

Now if you're wasting 70% of your income trying to buy a monolithic house then no, you won't get by very well.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:19 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermesyheracles View Post
Hello.
I am just a little in shock of how many people in this forums talk about people living in "poverty" in San Francisco. The shocking thing is that they don't refer only to homeless people, but to people working as teachers, and many other jobs that should be more than decent in many others parts of the world...
San Francisco is a expensive city, but is it really at that hell sensation point to anyone not making more than 50K? I guess not all population can work at "technology and director" status, like it seems many people do here...
Renting is expensive, but for me the most important thing is to be able to have a healthy social life; eat out and go to concerts sometimes... So, for me, living in a room won't make me unhappy or "poor". I would feel poor not being able to go out with friends.
How exagerated do you think is this people pointing and talking about employment poverty status in SF even for professional like teachers?
We used to go out with friends and then they had kids. But back then going out on the weekend wasn't cheap. Going out to dinner and then hitting a comedy club -- that was a hundred bucks. Easy. Going to a dinner and then a movie -- almost 75 -- more if you have drink at dinner. We budgeted for it -- they didn't... and they ended up in a hole.

To me that's not cheap socializing. I had co-workers that went to clubs and such -- they spent 2-300 a weekend.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
$50K a year is NOT poverty.

Just because you can't buy your own monolithic house does not make impoverished.

At $50k you can have a nice apartment, a car, and a vacation to Europe once a year or so.

Now if you're wasting 70% of your income trying to buy a monolithic house then no, you won't get by very well.
I agree that it's not poverty, but you aren't going to have a nice apartment by any means, nor will you have a new (or new used) car that costs over $20k. It also just depends on where your job is, what your bills are, etc etc. $50k is nice to support one person living close to work, but $50k was stretching it for a couple.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 13,163 times
Thank you all for your words!

Old 07-24-2014, 01:17 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Puts it in perspective. In 1989, $945 a month must have seemed demented.

The rent was $680 when I moved in, in 1989, it is now $945. The property owner is limited in the amount they can raise rent on a existing tenant in a rent controlled building.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 PM

555 posts, read 803,047 times
The median income in SF is $71,304. That being the average, I'm guess that the poverty level is well below 50k.

Like others have mentioned, the housing costs are high; but SF is still lower than many other places in Cali.

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2020 at 02:36 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 11:19 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,882 times
It's possible to get by without a car in SF. That can add up to quite a savings. I went without a car for 3 years at one time while living here in SF.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:28 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
If you are making 50k, your quality of living isn't going to be that great in SF. You'll either have to deal with roommates or live in an undesirable part of the city.
Note that enough people moving to those undesirable parts of the city will transform that area to become desireable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland